Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The thread where movies/tv shows are recommended!  (Read 3626 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: The thread where movies are recommended!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 08:41:24 pm »

Miracle on 34th Street, original edition.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 07:02:29 am »

Mostly going off stuff I remember from when I had a Netflix subscription.

-Pontypool (suspense/minor horror)
-Fargo (comedy)
-American Psycho (comedy)
-Cabin in the Woods (comedy, watch the first Evil Dead before it)
-Evil Dead (minor horror)
-Old Boy (Korean action)
-Microcosmos (nature/insect documentary, good god the derpy caterpillars)
-Iron Sky (space Nazis)
-Downfall (bunker Nazis)
-Amelie (quirkgasm comedy)
-Journey to the Seventh Planet (so bad it's good, but still pretty damn bad)
-Funny Games (comedy? Horror? Am I allowed to find it funny?)
-Attack the Gas Station 2 (Korean I-don't-even)
-Golden Chicken (Hong Kong comedy, just look at the cover)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 07:39:41 am »

In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths are both great films that have been recommended!
Also, that movie was called Warriors of Virtue, and it has a score of 4.4 on IMDB. :P I remember watching it with family as a kid and enjoying it a lot, though. It sure was rather weird and over-the-top.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 12:08:36 pm »

Henry V (the Kenneth Branagh version...epic Agincourt is epic, plus Patrick Doyle's soundtrack. Plus BRIAN BLESSED.)
The Untouchables (mobster flick)
Aliens (action/sci-fi...back when James Cameron knew that humans were the good guys and the only good alien was a dead alien)
The Big Lebowski (I don't even know what genre you put this in. It's a Coen Brothers film. Nuff said.)
Army of Darkness (comedy/horror...okay, pretty much just comedy)
Iron Monkey (wuxia action film)
Shaolin Soccer (wuxia/mou lei tau action comedy)
Rashomon (B&W philosophical drama)
The Princess Bride (comedy/fantasy)
Boondock Saints (vigilante action)

Movies never to watch:
Drive Angry (astoundingly bad, even for a Nicholas Cage film. We couldn't make it past the first 15 minutes.)
The Judas Project (retelling of the Gospels set in modern day. This could have been an intriguing movie. Instead, it's so fucking braindead that it's cringeworthy.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 05:54:04 pm »

Just remembered 12 Monkeys. Great time travel thriller with a neat visual style.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 06:19:30 pm »

Discussion in the plug.dj room reminded me:

Six-String Samurai. Yes, it's sort of a cult fanboy type movie. But ye gods it's so fun. Buddy Holly taking on the Soviet Army in a post-apocalyptic wasteland armed with nothing but the power of rock. And a katana.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The thread where movies/tv shows are recommended!
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 05:45:14 am »

For TV shows, I'll recommend Burn Notice. Finished and tied up after seven seasons. It's a spy/thriller about an American special agent uncovering a conspiracy against him as well as generic acts of goodness, all without the resources of a government behind him.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 08:50:35 pm »

Six-String Samurai isn't great, but it's so silly and fun that it's certainly worth a recommendation.
Hmm, well there's this trio of films I've been meaning to rewatch one of these days: License to Kill, Flash Gordon and Lion in Winter.
Apart from Lion, they're not "serious" masterpieces but they're all good. The reason I want to watch them in a near-marathon is because all three have Timothy Dalton acting. Good enough for me. Or maybe I should just rewatch Lion, it's a great film. King Henry invites family over for Christmas. Hilarity ensues. Great acting abound.

A while back I discussed some films with a friend. Portrayals of childhood trauma in particular. Pan's Labyrinth and Tideland came up and are good, of course. I think Pan has more critical acclaim, but Tideland is my favourite of the pair (I'm a Terry Gilliam fanboy so that doesn't really count I guess). Plus Tideland has Jeff Bridges and a guy who kind of looks like young Ron Perlman.
Seriously speaking, Tideland has some pretty grim stuff, I'm oddly excited about rewatching it once I get some broodlings of my own. I should probably add that the grimness is strictly in the mind of the viewer. Visually it's very ages 7-13 and up (disclaimer: dirty euroliberal here).

If you liked Oldboy, I'd suggest Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. It's part of the trilogy (only thematically linked, no plot relevance between them) and in my opinion best of the trio. It's about a mother who gets falsely accused and thrown in jail. Then she gets out. Very good, very emotional. Possibly silly for a few moments (in a bloody Korean revenge film silly way).

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 01:06:58 am »

Having watched it the other day and completely lost my shit over it, The Good, The Bad and The Wierd is pretty damn amazing.

Basically, a korean take on said classical western, with lots of good action, some good comedy and generally terrific cinematics and pretty cool charachters.

Seriously, if you call yourself a western fan, this one is a must see.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 08:58:09 am »

My movie recommendation: Safety Not Guaranteed.

This reminds me, I have The Warriors and Wayne's World on my computer ready to be watched.
So many popular movies I haven't seen.

...Does anyone know the name of that movie I saw years ago, where there's this kinda mopey kid with a lame leg, who befriends the owner of a chinese restaurant, hangs out with some hooligans in a sewer and gets washed down a drain, then ends up in some strange other world/reality which is home to these strange horse-headed people (in addition to humans) who have martial arts battles and stuff, and the kid has full use of his legs (but loses it again when he returns to Earth)?
...I really doubt it, but I've been wanting to find this movie for a long time.

Edit: WAIT HOLY SHIT I FINALLY FOUND IT! Thanks so much for making this thread, oh wow, I can finally rest easy as my life-long quest is complete. :')
What was the name of that movie? Sounds pretty trippy  :P
Warriors of Virtue. All these years on and I am still yet to re-watch it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 [2]