Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38

Author Topic: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)  (Read 44495 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)
« Reply #495 on: August 26, 2018, 05:23:08 am »

Stick them somewhere safe and feed them, probably talk to them from time to time and try to explain the scale of things outside the plate and try to understand more about the life on the plate.

If things can be explained well enough back and forth then bringing them to the attention of scientists would be an obvious step after a while.

We're basically talking about a civilization that fits into a space smaller than a hamster cage and probably needs less food, but experiences time on a scale that allows it to ask questions we can comprehend at a volume we can hear. It's not a huge thing to take care of if you can handle a goldfish.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 26, 2018, 06:26:58 am »

We're basically talking about a civilization that fits into a space smaller than a hamster cage and probably needs less food

And then all the world's call centres are redirected there.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 28, 2018, 03:35:49 pm »

Open dialogue, figure out how they handle issues such as energy sources and tool use on a super-micro scale, and apply them to our reality.

Be rich forever and probably solve half the world's practical problems.

Also, see the "Lisa Creates Life" episode of Simpsons.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 23, 2018, 06:03:47 am »

What if you had near-absolute control over websites, all with being completely anonymous? Like, the ability to ban or unban anyone, the ability to edit databases or code, edit posts, see people's IP, etc., all while maintaining complete anonymity?

I would basically act as a second admin to Bay12, except more active.

But then... I would do bad things to 4chan. let's start:
a) I would make a thread that goes like this: "Something very bad is about to happen to this website..."

b) I would then listen to people's bewildered remarks.

c) After 15 minutes have passed, I would commence The Purge. Ban all of the users, erase all of the databases, code, and possible backups, destroy ALL of the boards. Then make a website that hosts cute kitten pictures at that domain instead. Meow!

Then I'd offer my services to Google or the government, and then continue acting as a good admin for random forums.

What would you do if you had those powers?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:07:24 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 24, 2018, 06:51:20 pm »

Like, all of them?

Commence dark web vigilantism. Enjoy free access to paywalled journal sites.

Maybe troll someone on occasion.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 25, 2018, 12:39:42 pm »

Go mad with power immediately, if not sooner.

Edit internet to make it seem like I went mad with power sooner, maybe in the 1700's or so.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #501 on: September 27, 2018, 06:57:42 am »

What would you do if you had those powers?
Ban every google, reddit, facebook, twitter, instagram account and so forth, usher in the age of anonymous information for everyone. Seems like a no brainer. Also bullying /ck/ and /po/ seems mean, they never did anything to deserve death

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 27, 2018, 07:03:04 am »

As I said, I'd tell the Google management about my powers and offer to work on retrieving information for them for a lot of money. While anonymously taking a look at their databases (I want to see how that stuff works).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #503 on: September 27, 2018, 07:21:39 am »

As I said, I'd tell the Google management about my powers and offer to work on retrieving information for them for a lot of money. While anonymously taking a look at their databases (I want to see how that stuff works).
Imo with such awesome power any amount of money is beneath you, and certainly Google management. You'd end up having a shot to bring back the wild west of the internet except in an age where there are billions of internet users, you can bet your rectums that working as a Google online content policer would be a grievous waste of potential and a certified crime against imagination

Also it'd be absolutely mandatory that if you were to make the mistake of doing so publicly, you would only allow yourself to be identified via hackerman memes

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 27, 2018, 07:39:11 am »

Yeah, I could enforce internet freedom. But then again, it's a free ticket for millions of dollars. Money, dear boy.

But your opinion is your opinion. That's what this thread is about, what you would do with X superpower.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:41:50 am by KittyTac »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #505 on: September 27, 2018, 08:15:02 am »

Yeah, I could enforce internet freedom. But then again, it's a free ticket for millions of dollars. Money, dear boy.

But your opinion is your opinion. That's what this thread is about, what you would do with X superpower.
Which is precisely what I'm getting at - you get X superpower, why chase after money of all things? It's the least compelling motive where extraordinary capabilities are concerned. The question is fundamentally asking what would you do if certain or all material constraints upon your will were removed overnight. Chasing after a material leverage for a constraint which does not affect you precludes the next inevitable question, what will you do when you have your desired sum of cash and that self-imposed constraint is gone?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 27, 2018, 08:50:56 am »

Which is precisely what I'm getting at - you get X superpower, why chase after money of all things? It's the least compelling motive where extraordinary capabilities are concerned. The question is fundamentally asking what would you do if certain or all material constraints upon your will were removed overnight. Chasing after a material leverage for a constraint which does not affect you precludes the next inevitable question, what will you do when you have your desired sum of cash and that self-imposed constraint is gone?
After obliterating 4chan and securing a job as a Google online content policier?

Vigilantry. Go into forums and banhammer anyone who breaks the forum rules, then disappear. Bust cybercrime. Forcibly clean up forums. Maybe rename trolls' accounts to "PenisDick2010". That's what I would do. Basically, goof off.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:24:41 am by KittyTac »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 27, 2018, 09:21:53 am »

I'd probably just enforce fair use, and then just screw around with things

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 27, 2018, 10:10:19 am »

Find other people in IT who would know much better than me how best to use this power, and get them to tell me what to do.

Although I do think this opens up to a broader discussion on information ethics. When is it ethical to deplatform a radical group? Precedence tells us that only those who directly incite violence should be silenced. I don't really know, but we could probably start by instantly banning anyone who harrasses other people on social media. Clean the place up a little bit, maybe even make something like twitter actually pleasant.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 27, 2018, 11:21:26 am »

That reminds me, would definitely be banning trump
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38