Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I'm going to start working on a New race for fortress mode in MDF, which is wanted more?

Elves... we need tree hugging hippy forts!!!!!
- 16 (29.1%)
Goblin... Let the demons rule the land!!!!
- 4 (7.3%)
Necromancers... Build your own tower and fill it with your undead servants!!!
- 24 (43.6%)
Repair the Werebeasts... More savage beastie goodness!!!!  maybe even a fort mode!?!?
- 1 (1.8%)
Repair the Titans... so they will come and destroy your fortresses again!
- 6 (10.9%)
Repair the Night Creatures... we need more kidnapped children!
- 0 (0%)
Vampires... flesh out their game play so they drink more blood and even may have a fort mode!?!?
- 4 (7.3%)
Something different to replace one of these?  Let me know what you think would be cool?!?!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: June 20, 2017, 09:37:53 am

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29

Author Topic: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.29 (43.05 x64)  (Read 84251 times)

dragon001cz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.29 (43.05 x64)
« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2017, 12:49:06 pm »

Greetings,i have an issue,when i launch the game and go to advanced world generation the screen goes completely bonkers.I have dual monitors and it goes like a quater to the other monitor and its all pushed up so i dont see much,does anybody knew how to fix this issue?

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2017, 07:55:06 am »

Greetings,i have an issue,when i launch the game and go to advanced world generation the screen goes completely bonkers.I have dual monitors and it goes like a quater to the other monitor and its all pushed up so i dont see much,does anybody knew how to fix this issue?

Are you in fullscreen or windowed mode? If fullscreen, try switching the windowed.  I really doubt the mod could cause an issue like this.  Does it happen in un-modded DF?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

dragon001cz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2017, 09:13:57 am »

Are you in fullscreen or windowed mode? If fullscreen, try switching the windowed.  I really doubt the mod could cause an issue like this.  Does it happen in un-modded DF?

Haha! Thank you very much good sir! I wanted to try that actually but i couldnt find the resolution option,you just have to push F11 and adjust it as you want.

Dave Nicksen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.28 (43.05 x64)
« Reply #273 on: July 14, 2017, 10:51:53 am »

You sound like a genuinely nice guy Amos, but this effort, in my opinion, is wasted. Toady has declared his codebase his own, doesn't want open source contributions. Whilst we can mod it through memory hacks, it doesn't seem like his intention to release control.

There are better games.

+

Now that's fine if that's your cup of tea, but it's not much fun when you realize the limits of what can be modded in this game. It was just a heads-up, that passion and keenness is a poor thing to throw a blanket on, but perhaps a 'been there, done that, and got frustrated' kind of reply I guess. Running around finding memory addresses and tweaking things via DFHack, when the author could just expose an API or functions, is utter pain.

Sorry for the offtopic.
I can understand your frustration. However I feel that you are neglecting the main contribution Toady made by creating this phenomenon of DF.
He never asked for any assistance nor did he demand money for playing the game. He's the one in charge and he's the one who has the vision of how the things should work.

Obviously you may have your own views on some things but the thing is: you're mixing commercial games with the one being made on a pure enthusiasm.
Look at the *nix OS family. Which one should I use - Gentoo, Mandriva, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu or some other? Which fork? Which version?
This chaotic structure is very typical for any decentralized coding. Although it may be very flexible it serves different purpose of utilizing system resources.

Here we have a work of art with quite a natural desire of the author to keep the rights of authorship to himself. Being named on the main screen is the only reliable thing Toady gets in return for his constant wok (I'm aware of contributions but we all know the nature of them not being a reliable and stable source of income).

Long story short. We all appreciate community work here (bug reports, solutions, software extensions, etc) but nobody forces you to do this. If it troubles you and leaves you frustrated - then just quit doing that, as simple as that. Save your energy, enthusiasm and morale for something that makes you happy.

------

Back to the topic.
Thank you very much, Amostubal, for keeping Meph's and Toady's works up-to-date.
I recently felt the urge to have MDF installed (after a typical break of ~2 years) and now I'm enjoying the struggle with FUN like back in the old days.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 15, 2017, 07:28:32 am »

Hey, I'm loving the mod! I'm really grateful to have a version of MDF to use with 43.05.

I am having a problem, though... Every time I load a save, the next time I try to use the command to assign labors to a dwarf, the game crashes. I have no idea what's causing this, but unfortunately it makes the whole mod unplayable. Is there some kind of file I can send you that will tell you what settings I'm using to help you track down this weird bug?

I also noticed another weird thing that's happening, but this is a minor bug. When I select the ASCII 8x12 tileset, it works fine... until I tell it to turn off creature sprites. Then it goes back to using the default tileset for the mod. I had to go in and manually change the tileset back. (Yes, I prefer the vanilla look. It's what I'm used to, and I can't recognize anything in any other color scheme or with any other tileset. Don't judge me!)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 15, 2017, 07:55:09 am »

You sound like a genuinely nice guy Amos, but this effort, in my opinion, is wasted. Toady has declared his codebase his own, doesn't want open source contributions. Whilst we can mod it through memory hacks, it doesn't seem like his intention to release control.

There are better games.

+

Now that's fine if that's your cup of tea, but it's not much fun when you realize the limits of what can be modded in this game. It was just a heads-up, that passion and keenness is a poor thing to throw a blanket on, but perhaps a 'been there, done that, and got frustrated' kind of reply I guess. Running around finding memory addresses and tweaking things via DFHack, when the author could just expose an API or functions, is utter pain.

Sorry for the offtopic.
I can understand your frustration. However I feel that you are neglecting the main contribution Toady made by creating this phenomenon of DF.
He never asked for any assistance nor did he demand money for playing the game. He's the one in charge and he's the one who has the vision of how the things should work.

Obviously you may have your own views on some things but the thing is: you're mixing commercial games with the one being made on a pure enthusiasm.
Look at the *nix OS family. Which one should I use - Gentoo, Mandriva, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu or some other? Which fork? Which version?
This chaotic structure is very typical for any decentralized coding. Although it may be very flexible it serves different purpose of utilizing system resources.

Here we have a work of art with quite a natural desire of the author to keep the rights of authorship to himself. Being named on the main screen is the only reliable thing Toady gets in return for his constant wok (I'm aware of contributions but we all know the nature of them not being a reliable and stable source of income).

Long story short. We all appreciate community work here (bug reports, solutions, software extensions, etc) but nobody forces you to do this. If it troubles you and leaves you frustrated - then just quit doing that, as simple as that. Save your energy, enthusiasm and morale for something that makes you happy.

------

Back to the topic.
Thank you very much, Amostubal, for keeping Meph's and Toady's works up-to-date.
I recently felt the urge to have MDF installed (after a typical break of ~2 years) and now I'm enjoying the struggle with FUN like back in the old days.

Thanks Dave!

I agree toady is never going to share the glory for his game and he rarely takes anything from the modding community and puts it into his game...  but I see his game as more of just an engine... like unity, just with more game mechanics permanently installed.  Take a look at some of the zero DF mods out there that toss all the original game raws and tries to replace everything except the exe...  You can make a lot of changes within the confines of the game...

another note...  I don't care for most of the crap commercially produced.... I've been taking a vacation for the past "month" with my oldest son... we've played 4 major game titles... in order:

1.  dragonage: inquisition - Too many game play options, abilities, crappy content; for a quick hard crap ending,  100hrs game play(hard mode) to complete all quests and side quests, with no feeling of reward at end, really we turned it into a story book game by replaying it in newbie mode and running the conversations in 10hrs and just to get a better ending. The best part of this game was discovering how many broken/incomplete map content we could discover.  really why give me the option to jump if jumping isn't really necessary to play the game...  The only reason we played this one so much was that it did draw you into the characters and story early and made you invested in finding out how screwed up your bad advice messed up a bunch of medieval characters... Really the best moment in the game... near end I found out that like the second or third time I talked to 1 character I had set her on the path to be a ruthless evil killing machine... making killers while trying to get approval for love... I actually would say this game is a solid 7/10 if and only if you avoid all side content and all the BS crap: play it in newbie mode, avoid all the additional content, play it as if its an interactive story book, avoid any fights you don't need, most of the game isn't worth messing with. done.

2. Assassin's creed - Twitch twitch twitch twitch twitch.... 10 hrs and I was tired of it. 

3. Warframe - rather rewarding and fun gameplay... didn't take me long to figure out the controls and crafting... but you had to be online and you had to find others to play with to accomplish most major tasks... Lots and lots of gear crafting, i hate the timers, I hate the grinding... think 10 hours maybe 20...

4. Skyrim, enough said....

other than this we whipped out the old favorites... metroid, super metroid, super mario {1 2 3}, super mario world, super mario wii, guitar hero {1 2 3 world tour, aerosmith,, metallica}, zelda {1 3 ocarana, majora, skward, and shadow}, along with several others, lol.  not including the board games.  Honestly  I've been really busy .... but back to that subject...

Honestly If I'm paying for the game I don't really care much for the mod packs... besides people want to charge for them and shit and I'm not interested.  But I really find most modern games to be too short, before they become completely boring or their errors become glaringly obvious.  Even top rated games to me are crap.  Most games today rely too much on their graphics to dazzle, and if you take that away they wouldn't get a 3/10 from me.  That's why this game makes me so happy, I can make it the game I want to play.  I mean it... I play till the game hits 0 FPS death or I get undead fire men...

anyways next month I plan to be back 100%,  see all of you there.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 15, 2017, 12:38:38 pm »

Hey, I have a human fort in masterwork 1.27. I have met the preequisites  for the baron, but when the guild representative arrived, i could't appoint any baron. Is the baron- Count- Duchy-capital system available for other races than dwarves?
Urist McDM:"Roll a dwarven stupidity check"
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1
*Urist Mcplayer gets stucked in a hole
Urist McPlayer has been found death

Thatotherguy23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 17, 2017, 12:57:55 am »

Hey Amostubal, great work with modified Masterwork!
I'm aware you're mostly keeping the mod the same as it was before, but just wanted to point out some discrepancies with the launcher that, because I'm picky, I've noticed:

Creatures Tab: Despite unselecting flying creatures in all three boxes, you still get giant flying bees, drones, queens etc among other creatures/giant vermin that fly. I'm sure this is from selecting monsters or surface creatures in the Masterwork box but it's still slightly misleading

Invaders Tab: There's no Easy, but there is Medium and Hard...not really important but yeah. Also, the ones in Hard are actually meant to just be different or slightly harder variations of the Easy creatures to deal with, whereas the ones in Medium are entire magnitudes above the others. Pandashi possibly being Medium difficulty as they can have martial trances etc but they don't have much armour usually. The harpies could also be chucked into Medium along with Werewolves. Minotaurs and Werewolves could also be renamed to what they're called in-game but that doesn't matter. Hellfire imps could be chucked into Medium or the bottom of Easy, War Elephants should definitely be in Medium atleast with their plate metal armour and massive size. Just wanted to nitpick that's all
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:10:04 am by Thatotherguy23 »

vbuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 21, 2017, 12:00:36 pm »

Loved the graphic fixes and the possibility of save game editing! Excellent job.

However, I have noticed some oddities with the human sprites in the phoebus pack (this is also present in "vanilla MW"). Some of the sprites seem corrupted and a lot different from LNP vanilla version. The bureaucrat sprite appears as a carpenter with the legs switched with the head, and all military sprites are some blurred red hooded person holding something I can't identify (in vanilla LNP they are mailed soldiers, each holding their skill specific weapon)

Eligiblefoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2017, 07:51:31 am »

Loved the graphic fixes and the possibility of save game editing! Excellent job.

However, I have noticed some oddities with the human sprites in the phoebus pack (this is also present in "vanilla MW"). Some of the sprites seem corrupted and a lot different from LNP vanilla version. The bureaucrat sprite appears as a carpenter with the legs switched with the head, and all military sprites are some blurred red hooded person holding something I can't identify (in vanilla LNP they are mailed soldiers, each holding their skill specific weapon)

I haven't fully tested this but it seems that taking the graphics files from LNP for phoebus tileset fixed this for me. I haven't tried a human fort so I'm not sure it worked fully but the merchants and their bodyguards are the correct sprites.

Khemul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 22, 2017, 12:46:37 pm »

There is an alternative set in the Phoebus folder that works better for a fort. Just copy that and overwrite the one that automatically gets installed. You may need to do it directly to the save folder to take effect on an existing world.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 22, 2017, 04:43:16 pm »

Does anyone have any idea why my game crashes when using this mod? I posted about it a few days ago, but nobody has responded yet.

Dave Nicksen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 23, 2017, 03:10:05 pm »

Check gamelog.txt in the parent directory of DF. It usually contains latest events announcers and sometimes you can find out what causes the game crash.

Once I butchered some animals without butcher-output configured and that made a stable crash.
Now I'm kinda stuck with my fortress as I was just attacked by Dark Stranglers and now I'm cleaning the battlefield (with butchers again in order to acquire DS bones (making beds, tables and everything from bones of your enemies is kinda sick and for my personal (Dave's) ETHICS it's totally ACCEPTABLE)) so I suppose I know what is the cause of constant crashes. I managed to save just a couple of ticks away from the actual crash (with quicksave DFHack command) so I'm gonna determine what's the problem.

2 Amostubal: Try out the Witcher series. The latest title (W3: Wild Hunt) kept me in for more than 200 hrs I guess. After having played for 100+ hrs I realized some dubious features and restrictions but overall experience for me was kinda 97/100 and it's my personal favourite Action-RPG title (being able to surpass the Fallout: New Vegas fun).
And yeah, I totally agree: the vast majority of modern games (especially AAA titles) is a complete rubbishit.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 23, 2017, 03:24:11 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Dave. As I said in my original post, the game crashes consistently under the following conditions: I load a game from a save, go to the units list and zoom to any dwarf, and then I attempt to view the Profession menu (or really any menu other than General) for that dwarf. I've done this with several different game saves using different starting parameters. gamelog.txt only shows that I loaded the game. Any other suggestions?

vbuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 23, 2017, 04:34:38 pm »

There is an alternative set in the Phoebus folder that works better for a fort. Just copy that and overwrite the one that automatically gets installed. You may need to do it directly to the save folder to take effect on an existing world.

I'm sorry for asking this, but I'm not very knowledgeable about the folders yet, and I can't seem to find it. Do you mean the dwarffortress/raw/graphics/phoebus path, the MWDF/graphics/phoebus-16x16 path or another one I haven't found? Could you point me to the specific folder?

By comparing these two folders with the LNP I can't seem to understand  what is going wrong. The sample images are all correct, but for some reason the game keeps assigning the sprites incorrectly (I've just figured out that the "red hooded figure" sprite it kept using instead of the military sprites is a mechanic with his feet on top of his head). 
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29