Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I'm going to start working on a New race for fortress mode in MDF, which is wanted more?

Elves... we need tree hugging hippy forts!!!!!
- 16 (29.1%)
Goblin... Let the demons rule the land!!!!
- 4 (7.3%)
Necromancers... Build your own tower and fill it with your undead servants!!!
- 24 (43.6%)
Repair the Werebeasts... More savage beastie goodness!!!!  maybe even a fort mode!?!?
- 1 (1.8%)
Repair the Titans... so they will come and destroy your fortresses again!
- 6 (10.9%)
Repair the Night Creatures... we need more kidnapped children!
- 0 (0%)
Vampires... flesh out their game play so they drink more blood and even may have a fort mode!?!?
- 4 (7.3%)
Something different to replace one of these?  Let me know what you think would be cool?!?!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: June 20, 2017, 09:37:53 am

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29

Author Topic: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.29 (43.05 x64)  (Read 84896 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.29 (43.05 x64)
« Reply #315 on: August 17, 2017, 08:34:35 pm »

I haven't seen a lot of the negativity you mention, but I haven't been keeping tabs on the page 24/7 either, so maybe I've just missed it.

I tend to keep tabs on things. Amostubal's grievances are basically the same ones I've been having for years. Meph is just incredibly tolerant of these things.

Lol... the one thing I kept thinking is... maybe that's why he disappears for a year at a time... to give the grievances a break... I'm actually a rather positive individual... I try to look at my mods (that've done for other games and DF in the past) as pieces of artwork... I create the thing I want and put it out there, for the world to see.  This is the second time I picked up another's work and tried to make repairs that were lacking... and its hard work.  This project needs a team of 10 to 15 mod writers to go through and discover the errors and fix them.  It needs a couple of (or more) real programmers (I am not, I'm a dabbler) to go and actually work on the launcher to fix the errors it has, along with possibly scrapping it and producing a cross platform launcher.  If I had the resources and time, I would have a team of 15 to 20 people to work this project over.  Personally I think 40 people + have put into this project in various ways (from the mods that have been added in to actual masterwork content).

This project is no longer a 1 man job, and it hasn't been for years, but that's whats been going on for several years here in DF.  We have a handful across the modding and programming community that has done 95% of the work.  The few like Putnam here that really has put in not just hours or days into creating content, but literally months of time over the past several years.  There is maybe 10 solid programmers and modders with more than 2 years experience still working on DF.  I have a lot of respect for them... I didn't even know of Dwarf Fortress 2 years ago...

I learned of it through a youtube video that was discussing the most difficult games ever, an opinionated top 10... I had played 9/10 and had felt rather satisfied with my ability to grasp them, and played till I was tired of them... so when number 3 (behind dark souls 1 and 2 at 1 and 2 go figure) was a game I had never heard of... I went looking for it... was glad it was free... and then began what became this.   I died, a lot, I wiped on everything from elephants to demons and hell.  And in the end I figured it out... vanilla DF is sooooooo boring now.  I can run fortresses for decades... or at least until FPS kills the game play.

What makes Dwarf Fortress so difficult is that there isn't a real game plan, there really isn't any concept that remains from the beginning to the end.  To be exact if you take what worked 2 years ago and tried it that way today, it doesn't function.  What we do today, is going to be lost 2 years from now.  This is the nature of the beast.  The mods we write have the same frustration times 100.  What works last year wont work this year.  What we make today may be broken when the next version is released... who knows? Only Armok knows, and he's deathly quiet.  I've decided I want to work on a project that is my own and if it breaks when the next release comes out, well fuck it, lol.  MDF was broken when I got, broken for a long time, but people played it and ignored the issues...

So my biggest problem is that the game isn't a commercial work, and this project isn't either.  We get it for free, but we treat it like we paid 40 bucks and a monthly subscription to play it.  the truth is there is no standard in the community, at least not in the raws.  there is no programming language forcing a conformity on the community, so what one writes is illegible to the next person, there is no 1 standard mod loader... everyone plays one of several ways and they don't want to switch.

The fact is that Masterwork is easy mode for mod enjoyment with DF.  there is no work.  you boot up the launcher and boom, you have access to a whole bunch of cool features.  Its the mod version of PyLNP.  The other launchers are just that other attempts at having a standard and a bunch of arguments between them about who is the best, If you had a list of how everyone plays DF, it would be 69% PyLNP, 30% MDF, .9% Rubble, and .1% other (PyDwarf, revised, modest, STFU DF, etc, etc, hard core, my personal mod set because I did it myself !!Biotches!!). 

Which is why if I mod again its going to be my own little mod pack... It will be my own little artwork, few will be paying attention to it, and the ones who do will most likely be Putnam, Lethosor, or whoever stumbles across it.... I'll come up with a pretty little name... just look for me someday when you get a chance.

To everyone who said their goodbyes, well thanks for the compliments and thanks for being good friends while I was here... I'm keeping my discord open if anyone wants to holler at me.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 17, 2017, 09:33:32 pm »

If I were to continue development I'd probably switch the launcher to a variant on PyLNP, but I'm not sure I'll do that. I am actually considering it, since Masterwork being in limbo is a bad situation imo, but I don't want to commit.

Problem is, if Meph comes back, the launcher would be alien to him and that's a definite problem.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 17, 2017, 09:35:04 pm »

I feel like it wouldn't be right if I just let you quit without saying goodbye.

Amostabul, your dedication to carry on Meph's work while he was gone was amazing. During your time here you taught yourself how to mod RAWs, use DFhack, and even code in visual basic. It's clear you cared a lot about this project and the effort isn't lost on us (at least some of us). You went through the mess that was the original masterwork RAWs and you tidied it up. You ported the game to a new version of DF and Dfhack. When the community didn't help you with difficult problems, you solved them on your own. In a way, you put more work into this mod than we ever deserved.

I understand why you want to leave, and I will not try to convince you not to. We all get burned out, you deserve a break.

Spoiler: PS (click to show/hide)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2017, 10:14:41 pm »

As far as I know Meph could be dead. He returned from his Africa trip on April 18th or so, and his been totally silent online since.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 18, 2017, 09:32:25 am »

Okay I've been sitting back and thinking... a lot of thinking.

I could make a huge rant on the subjects that are bothering me but I wont.  Here's a list.

1. It's not a commercial piece of work, but everyone acts like it is.
2. It's not mine, I'm just maintaining it for the time being.
3. Very few people will step up and assist with the work.
4. No one reads or searches for any answers.  We answer the same questions every few days.
5. People somehow expect me to be true to an original vision with somethings, while
6. Others wanted me to rewrite things to what they want.
7. And frankly I'm disgusted with the whole thing.

So I'm putting in my notice.  There will be no more updates of MDF by me.  Any further updates will be from Meph, or someone else in the community that decides to do so... personally I haven't decided what I will do next... I'm not even sure if I'm going to mod in DF anymore... So to the MDF community farewell and good luck.

I've done some modding for other games, and appreciate these complaints.  The only real solution I've found is doing what you want with the product.  As you said, it's not a commercial product - so no need to try and please everyone.  At the end of the day, the only vision that matters is that of the creator (and people working with him).  If people prefer the original vision, the original version is still available.  If people want the mod to function as they want, they can always learn how to code.

If you do decide to come back, my offer to help with the combat issues (if you want that help) still stands.  This also applies to anyone else who might pick this up instead.

I appreciate the work you've put into this.  You fixed a bunch of issues, and the mod is more enjoyable and less error-prone as a result.  I look forward to seeing whatever else you produce.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 18, 2017, 11:15:45 am »

As far as I know Meph could be dead. He returned from his Africa trip on April 18th or so, and his been totally silent online since.
not totally true... he has multiple online accounts, he doesn't respond to just anything on those accounts, but hes been doing magazine interviews (both print and e-mag) answerring questions about his trip... the last I looked he showed activity in July and mentioned another trip for the later part of the year.

video games lots of video games
  yeah me too... they drain the hours faster than you think. 

And folks I'm not gone... I'm just not really wanting to push this buggy... If Meph doesn't return (which I doubt, in his pattern he always returns) maybe I'll jump back on the train again... I just need to work on something different for a bit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:22:45 am by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 18, 2017, 11:27:02 am »

If I were to continue development I'd probably switch the launcher to a variant on PyLNP, but I'm not sure I'll do that. I am actually considering it, since Masterwork being in limbo is a bad situation imo, but I don't want to commit.

Problem is, if Meph comes back, the launcher would be alien to him and that's a definite problem.

Putnam, I don't think the thing is in limbo at all.  Right now its in the best shape it has been in a year... We can just call this the last stand of 43.xx... eventually the next variant of DF will be out soon... and someone will have to port and DFHack etc this back together... At least this version is in better standing than 1.23 was.  Anyways Masterwork launcher is a variant of an old VBLNP launcher, go figure...  laters.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Avacado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 21, 2017, 01:11:27 am »

Game's been crashing to desktop frequently and the only thing in the error log is a bunch of errors tied to were creature reactions. Are those errors probably what's crashing my game? Rather not deal with vampires and werecreatures if I don't have to, but I'll turn them back on if I must.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 21, 2017, 06:53:01 am »

Can you post the error log in a spoiler? Also, if you still have the save try to load it and pay attention to the dfhack console window that appears, there might be some red text that might be interesting.

Also, post a screenshot of the launcher settings that you use.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 22, 2017, 02:09:00 pm »

So I'm putting in my notice.  There will be no more updates of MDF by me.  Any further updates will be from Meph, or someone else in the community that decides to do so... personally I haven't decided what I will do next... I'm not even sure if I'm going to mod in DF anymore... So to the MDF community farewell and good luck.

(Just back from GenCon and reading this now)

I'm sorry to see you go, but I understand.  This list seems to be common among code authors/co-authors - it's just too easy these days for the 'net to flood one with asks/whines/complaints, with little useful feedback.

Know that I, for one, appreciate all your work these many months, and that's why I'm still playing MDF.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 22, 2017, 02:23:31 pm »

Thank you, Urmane.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 22, 2017, 02:35:02 pm »

I think I found a pretty serious bug. I'm playing a human fort and can't for the life of me get foreign contracts. Caravans never carry them, calling diplomats doesn't work (not a barony, though I met the requirements a couple years ago) and the random contracts from the human shop only ever result in human contracts (4 times in a row before I gave up on wasting coin on them).

Is there any fix for this? Not having access to foreign contracts takes some of the fun out of human gameplay.  :'(

Alternately, what's the DFhack command to generate foreign contracts? I usually don't cheat, but...

I'm using this modified mod version with the most up to date DF version, by the way. No other mods whatsoever.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 22, 2017, 04:10:01 pm »

well...
1. some of the contracts aren't even accessible in normal game play, due to their race not existing (such as warlocks). 
2. if a race is turned off then their contract has no ability to become available to caravans.  common reason none are showing up, since most players turn off the other playable races, and only have 1 on.
3. the random drop one is very rare and always has been, again it wont create one for a race that doesn't exist as a civ in your game world.

Generally speaking its better to leave all the playable races on, and just turn off their fort modes if you don't want to play them in fort mode.  That way you can still interact with these civs without having to worry about starting a fort of the wrong race.

If none of that applies to your situation... then I don't know why its not working... I wouldn't immediately call it a bug unless you can point out the actual lines of code that aren't working correctly.  as for dfhack commands... there's a command called 'ls' that lists all the commands... I think its 'createitem' after that you would just need to hunt in the raws for the right item / material combination.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 22, 2017, 09:44:19 pm »

Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond! Appreciate it  :-*

I have all the races on, so that's not it... BUT! After I decided to no longer waste coins on random contracts I reloaded, invited a succubus caravan and... suddenly I have 2 other race contracts. NO idea why! Last I knew I had 4 human contracts, now it's 2 human, elf and dwarf. I only realized it because the succubi asked for them in a trade counter-offer. xD Dwarf is the one I wanted most, so I'm happy even if I never get another. (Cue invisible skulkers stealing them both...)

Avacado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 24, 2017, 07:00:28 pm »

Can you post the error log in a spoiler? Also, if you still have the save try to load it and pay attention to the dfhack console window that appears, there might be some red text that might be interesting.

Also, post a screenshot of the launcher settings that you use.

I decided to run a much smaller map (2x2) to see I could replicate it in a situation where memory/etc wasn't as much of a factor and no crash for 3 years, so I think the errors were red herrings and I was just going over DF's memory cap.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29