Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I'm going to start working on a New race for fortress mode in MDF, which is wanted more?

Elves... we need tree hugging hippy forts!!!!!
- 16 (29.1%)
Goblin... Let the demons rule the land!!!!
- 4 (7.3%)
Necromancers... Build your own tower and fill it with your undead servants!!!
- 24 (43.6%)
Repair the Werebeasts... More savage beastie goodness!!!!  maybe even a fort mode!?!?
- 1 (1.8%)
Repair the Titans... so they will come and destroy your fortresses again!
- 6 (10.9%)
Repair the Night Creatures... we need more kidnapped children!
- 0 (0%)
Vampires... flesh out their game play so they drink more blood and even may have a fort mode!?!?
- 4 (7.3%)
Something different to replace one of these?  Let me know what you think would be cool?!?!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: June 20, 2017, 09:37:53 am

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29

Author Topic: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.29 (43.05 x64)  (Read 84414 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.29 (43.05 x64)
« Reply #330 on: August 24, 2017, 07:55:43 pm »

Additional note if anyone wants to continue submitting updates/fixes to the github go ahead... I'm still sort of accepting them as they show up... If anyone who the community trusts want admin control of the github group page... I can add you for a test period and then transfer it completely.

Can you post the error log in a spoiler? Also, if you still have the save try to load it and pay attention to the dfhack console window that appears, there might be some red text that might be interesting.

Also, post a screenshot of the launcher settings that you use.

I decided to run a much smaller map (2x2) to see I could replicate it in a situation where memory/etc wasn't as much of a factor and no crash for 3 years, so I think the errors were red herrings and I was just going over DF's memory cap.

yeah masterwork is much heavier than DF.... I can run a vanilla DF world age 500; map large; embark size 10x10 at 120 fps for the first 3 to 5 years.... but masterwork has always given me trouble; with anything over 6x6, world age 125, small map, wont stay above 60fps past year 2... additionally using things such as water/magma wells definitely decrease fps rather quickly on large embarks or if on older systems... once DF start having fps dips to below 20 your chances on crashes at season changes, caravans, or invasions seems to go up exponentially.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Avacado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 24, 2017, 11:38:14 pm »

Of course the world I gen immediately after the crashes stop crashes.

Here's a snippet of the errorlog (it's all variations on 2 errors)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 25, 2017, 07:20:33 am »

Turn off werebeasts in the launcher. They're currently very buggy. Don't worry, vanilla werebeasts will be fine, this is just a civ that might occasionally invade you.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 25, 2017, 08:01:39 am »

heh those errors wont hurt anything... its just letting you know those interactions wont work because the target body doesn't exist.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Avacado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 25, 2017, 12:06:34 pm »

Turn off werebeasts in the launcher. They're currently very buggy. Don't worry, vanilla werebeasts will be fine, this is just a civ that might occasionally invade you.

They are turned off though, both in the creatures/civ tabs.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 25, 2017, 04:47:57 pm »

He was talking about the civ tab... but it wont matter, the file has its opening broken... so they wont show up no matter what you press in the launcher... the interaction files are not broken... so their interactions are loaded but no the creatures the interactions need to load them... It will not cause crashes... Those type of error messages are to let modders know there is missing bodies for interactions, and that the interaction will not function because of it.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 26, 2017, 02:17:16 am »

In older masterwork versions I got worldgen crashes like that from switching off and switching back on certain features. Making a fresh install and choosing exactly what features I wanted the first time around made worldgen run fine. Mind, this was a few versions back, could be something else entirely.

I've been tinkering around with my own install of ☼Masterwork☼, though mostly for flavour and my own personal tastes nothing worthy being a true fix. Closest is I've been trying to balance animal populations and frequency. Some of the new animals (often searchable with the -UBIQUITOUS- demitag) had insane population numbers and frequency set to 100 while vanilla animals like the good old grizzly bear were left with [FREQUENCY:2] and [POPULATION_NUMBER:2:3]. The tricky thing is what do you set it to? In my own raw files I've just gone for blatant favouritism and upped the chances of seeing animals I like. Some animals are more equal than others.

I have had a few thoughts on the issue while looking into it: With so many extra creatures is seems worth getting more specific with the biome tags. Instead of several kinds of bears with [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST], you can split them up into those with [BIOME:FOREST_TEMPERATE_CONIFER] and those with [BIOME:FOREST_TEMPERATE_BROADLEAF]. But then the thing about Masterwork is that there are many options so you could be playing with just vanilla creatures or you could play with all the extra creatures available.

Related, if you've gotten used to playing Masterwork with a certain set of options but then decide you want to try ZM5s creature packs, you'd probably want a higher chance of seeing the new stuff.

There's a lot I still don't understand about how dwarf fortress populates its world and then how it choses which particular group of animals to harass your fortress with. Or answer questions like "What is the ideal predator/prey ratio in the wild and should Masterwork even take it into consideration or just throw what would be most interesting to gameplay?". I just know I don't want to select a huge variety of extra critters for my world only to meet with the same group of Drakes and Asps all the time.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 26, 2017, 09:16:50 am »

Predator prey ratios Irl are typically around 1:10

predator:prey
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Chaos97

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 28, 2017, 06:36:33 am »

I took a look in the raws and I found a 'Skaven' civilization. It wasn't in the list of civs, but the raw looked like it was supposed to be a playable in Fortress Mode. Is it fine if I try out this 'Skaven' civ?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #339 on: August 28, 2017, 06:38:31 am »

Nobody can stop you from trying...

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 29, 2017, 04:11:34 pm »

This is probably an incredibly stupid question, but... were runesmith, golem & volcanic forges removed from this version? I can't find them in any of the building options for dwarves.  ???

Thanks!

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 29, 2017, 04:19:22 pm »

They require magma so you need to discover magma features to unlock them. Just strike the earth and dig deep

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 29, 2017, 06:29:35 pm »

Oh! I knew about the requirement, but I thought the lack of magma would just stop me from building it, kind of like you can hover planned farm plots over stone but not actually build them there. I wanted to see how large those workshops are so I can dig out appropriate amounts of space.

Would building a magmawell help at all?

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 29, 2017, 08:42:26 pm »

Won't help, has to be a natural magma feature. Succubus fort has a script that run on load that automatically activates magma workshops. You can also use dfhack console to discover the magma sea in a couple of ways, either with reveal or feature. The golemforge and runesmith are both 5x5 while the volcanic forge is 10x5 with a 2x4 impassible area.

oooooooooo
oxxooooooo
oxxooooooo
oxxooooooo
oxxooooooo

I think ye old masterwork used to have a reaction to unlock magma workshops for the dwarves somewhere, don't think there's one in 2014

ANickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 29, 2017, 10:22:40 pm »

If you build a magma-well, you can select the task to "Unlock Workshops" when you use it!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29