Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I'm going to start working on a New race for fortress mode in MDF, which is wanted more?

Elves... we need tree hugging hippy forts!!!!!
- 16 (29.1%)
Goblin... Let the demons rule the land!!!!
- 4 (7.3%)
Necromancers... Build your own tower and fill it with your undead servants!!!
- 24 (43.6%)
Repair the Werebeasts... More savage beastie goodness!!!!  maybe even a fort mode!?!?
- 1 (1.8%)
Repair the Titans... so they will come and destroy your fortresses again!
- 6 (10.9%)
Repair the Night Creatures... we need more kidnapped children!
- 0 (0%)
Vampires... flesh out their game play so they drink more blood and even may have a fort mode!?!?
- 4 (7.3%)
Something different to replace one of these?  Let me know what you think would be cool?!?!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: June 20, 2017, 09:37:53 am

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29

Author Topic: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.29 (43.05 x64)  (Read 84424 times)

13thEssence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.29 (43.05 x64)
« Reply #300 on: August 05, 2017, 04:10:32 pm »

Hi.  Just started playing MWDF again since 1.23.  Is there a reason that Therapist now says Orc castes have different xp bonuses from before, and that those bonuses are not unique among the different castes and don't really make a lot of sense anymore?  Was this change intentional?  If so, is there anywhere on the forum that discusses the reasoning behind these changes?
Therapist doesn't accurately show XP bonuses anymore.  Everything should be the same as it was.

Looking at creature_civ_orc.txt, even 1.23 Therapist wasn't accurate. It seems that Dreamwalkers, Ologs, Artisans, and Corsairs had the right xp bonuses in the MWDF 1.23 Therapist, but contrary to that version's therapist other Orc castes don't get any bonuses at all (e.g. Uruks don't really get armour and fighting skill xp bonuses).  Are these strings, when you hover over the name of a creature in Therapist, just string entries in some .ini or .dll file that can just be fixed in an editor, or are they generated by Therapist runtime?  If it's something I can fix (and share), I'll do it.

Qasder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 06, 2017, 11:27:45 am »

Hi there, I've recently started playing MWDF again, and want to ask some questions.
Why i have warpstone (and what it is?) if i certainly disabled Earth strike back mod?
Why my miners rot massively if they only work underground and don't have any fights?
And where can i get a coins for guildhall and others? I haven't found any coin mint at all.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 06, 2017, 11:58:40 am »

Hi there, I've recently started playing MWDF again, and want to ask some questions.
Why i have warpstone (and what it is?) if i certainly disabled Earth strike back mod?
Why my miners rot massively if they only work underground and don't have any fights?
And where can i get a coins for guildhall and others? I haven't found any coin mint at all.

Warpstone is part of the base Masterwork mod; it's basically Color From Outer Space- either a pretty rock for jewelry or a horrible disease, depending on how stable it is. Think of it as the inert mineral form of Forgotten Beasts and prepare accordingly.

Your miners are probably rotting because they breathed in unstable warpstone.

Coins can be obtained from the vanilla forge, in one of the secondary Engineering Guild halls, or in a trade with a Market Stall building by selling something.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

runedog48

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 12, 2017, 01:03:09 am »

It seems that the perception radius doesn't show ( when sneaking in adventure mode ) when using Meph's tileset.

g5ash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 12, 2017, 03:09:08 am »

I've got a fort going in v1.28 and I've noticed that products from Cragtooth Boars and Horned Caveturtles (and probably all creatures in creature_domestic_DDD.txt) don't get standardized by the standardized leather and standardized meat options. They also drop unusable <material> chops (ex. cragtooth boar leather chops, horned caveturtle hardened leather chops, etc) instead of sliced meat when butchered.

I've poked around on the raws a bit to try and solve this, but I haven't been able to figure out what makes the DDD creatures different from any other creature from a standardized leather/meat perspective.

A problem that I was able to solve is that beak dogs need the [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tag added to their raws in creature_standard.txt. They already have [COMMON_DOMESTIC], so evil civs can sometimes buy them at embark. But without the pet tags they don't function correctly.

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 12, 2017, 08:15:16 pm »

I have been playing for a while now, and I just noticed that the XP value bonus shown on Therapist is reading different XP bonuses for the caste, with smith caste getting bonuses for brewing a such. Can anyone tell me if Therapist is wrong or is it something with the files itself?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 12, 2017, 10:23:57 pm »

I have been playing for a while now, and I just noticed that the XP value bonus shown on Therapist is reading different XP bonuses for the caste, with smith caste getting bonuses for brewing a such. Can anyone tell me if Therapist is wrong or is it something with the files itself?

Therapist is just reading it wrong.

13thEssence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 15, 2017, 06:25:59 am »

Please try a search before posting.  I just asked about this in this same thread, on the previous page.  I have a post about it literally in the same page as your inquiry.

13thEssence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 15, 2017, 07:39:29 am »

I noticed something about the item raws a few days ago.  There are inconsistencies with some of the armour for different slots in terms of armour level.  Also, the armour levels described in the manual are all incorrect (or the raws are), and two "plate" items are missing from the raws.

Check out item_gloves.txt.  Gloves (ie leather) have ARMORLEVEL 1, Gauntlets (ie metal) have AL 2, and Plate Gauntlets also have AL 2.

Gloves are inconsistent with boots and helm slots where the leather/clothing equivalent have no/zero AL, the metal equivalent has AL1, and the plate equivalent has AL2.  Chest pieces start zero AL for clothing, AL1 for (leather) armour, AL2 for (metal) mail, and AL3 for breastplates and plate armours, while legs only have AL for leather/chain leggings (AL1) and greaves (AL3).  Full Plate suffers a down-grade in comparison to breastplates (half plate) or plate armour, having only AL2 which makes little sense, and has a smaller MATERIAL_SIZE compared to Plate Armor despite its larger LAYER_SIZE.

The manual suggests AL3 for all "Plate___" pieces and breastplates,  AL2 for all regular metal pieces and chain shirts, AL1 for leather armour, and AL0 for all other cloth or leather pieces.

Shoes, Gloves, Torso all have a "Plate___" equivalent, but there's no Platehelm or Plategreaves at all in item_helms.txt or item_pants.txt files, despite them being listed in the manual.

These raws haven't changed since at least MDF v1.02 (42.06).  I first saw the manual introduced in v1.05 and the items listed haven't changed.

Also, mostly unrelated and arguably not buggy or inconsistent, Orcs are able to make lamellar armour sets including chest, greaves, helm, gaunts, high boots, and also able to craft robes, cloaks and masks out of lamellar.  Robes and cloaks can be used with other armour, but masks are completely useless as they'll block any helm or cap due to being SHAPED.  So in my reaction_orcfort.txt I change the lamellar masks to ITEM_HELM:ITEM_HELM_VEIL_FACE.  I think orcs could probably sly in (cheat with) two face veils under a helm without adjusting the sizing, while making masks not SHAPED still doesn't allow them to be used with caps at current size, but one way or another I'd like to see this tweaked permanently in the raws.

Edit - clarified some grammar/language.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:42:12 am by 13thEssence »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 16, 2017, 03:23:05 pm »

Okay I've been sitting back and thinking... a lot of thinking.

I could make a huge rant on the subjects that are bothering me but I wont.  Here's a list.

1. It's not a commercial piece of work, but everyone acts like it is.
2. It's not mine, I'm just maintaining it for the time being.
3. Very few people will step up and assist with the work.
4. No one reads or searches for any answers.  We answer the same questions every few days.
5. People somehow expect me to be true to an original vision with somethings, while
6. Others wanted me to rewrite things to what they want.
7. And frankly I'm disgusted with the whole thing.

So I'm putting in my notice.  There will be no more updates of MDF by me.  Any further updates will be from Meph, or someone else in the community that decides to do so... personally I haven't decided what I will do next... I'm not even sure if I'm going to mod in DF anymore... So to the MDF community farewell and good luck.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 17, 2017, 12:11:02 am »

That's fair. Though I imagine half of your grievances are just from the DF Reddit directly linking to the board, so there's lots of users that haven't actually played the original game before loading up and wondering why the mod's UI/AI/whatever is so wonky if the graphics/gameplay are better. I hope you're not turned off of the game altogether.

dethb0y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 17, 2017, 03:52:14 am »

I'm very sorry to hear that, Amostubal. Your work on the project has been invaluable to me and i have appreciated (and looked forward to) every single update.

I hope that whatever the future might bring for you, it is great. Stay amazing!

dantebelmondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 17, 2017, 04:46:28 am »

Thank you Amostubal for your invaluable contribution. There's one point that I cannot agree with you. The second one. This is your master piece of work, the Modified Masterwork DF.

ANickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 17, 2017, 06:14:15 pm »

Sad to hear you go, but you've gotta do what's best for ya.
I haven't seen a lot of the negativity you mention, but I haven't been keeping tabs on the page 24/7 either, so maybe I've just missed it.
Well, anyhow thank you for your contributions!  You've done a great job.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 17, 2017, 07:10:37 pm »

I haven't seen a lot of the negativity you mention, but I haven't been keeping tabs on the page 24/7 either, so maybe I've just missed it.

I tend to keep tabs on things. Amostubal's grievances are basically the same ones I've been having for years. Meph is just incredibly tolerant of these things.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29