Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36

Author Topic: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]  (Read 41597 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread]
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 06:25:40 pm »

Speaking of which, revision phase will end in 1-2 hours, since lots of people seem to be around and we're getting some fair consensuses on revision choices.  Time to get your propaganda in, if you haven't already; I currently have at least one propaganda piece from each team.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 02:37:16 am »

Out of curiosity, Arstotzkans, how was our master wizard described for you? In our Truth Report he was labelled a shining hero and whatnot, but I imagine in your Insidious Propaganda he was described otherwise.
Your master wizard, by the way, was described to us as a boring, unremarkable coward who hides amongst the common soldiers.
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 02:48:58 am »

He's described as being utterly insane

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 07:49:27 pm »

Glory to Arstotzka.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 10:34:18 am »

Ours says he's immune to insanity - likely because he's already a fucking bowl of fruitloops. 

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 11:35:16 am »

Ours says he's immune to insanity - likely because he's already a fucking bowl of fruitloops.
He is a pious scholar, driven by zeal to bring salvation to the heathen Arstotzkans. What's insane about that?
Long Live United Forenia!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 12:06:16 pm »

He is a pious scholar, driven by zeal to bring salvation to the heathen Arstotzkans. What's insane about that?

Uhhh... everything.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 01:46:07 pm »

Had another mechanics question about the rolls, and what they mean.

When I do a Design phase roll, you'll see me roll (say) [1, 3, 5].  These are 1d6 rolls for Effectiveness, Expense and Bugs, which have different pre-arranged values I roll for.  Bonuses are applied if you're doing effectively minor modifications to an existing spell, or mixed bonuses and penalties if you're trying to make it cheap on purpose, or if it's designed to only be used by a few people.  Penalties are applied for ambitious projects and for branching out into tech (or magic) you've never done before.

When I do a Revision phase roll it's a straight 1d6 (plus or minus penalties).  As a general rule, Revision phases let you try and fix one of the three earlier rolls, with maybe a bonus if you get a 6.

Occasionally (I'm looking at you, Arstotzka) I've had players vote to try sending an Order in addition to revisions, where they suggest a use for an item without spending the testing time of a revision phase or making any changes to it.  These get rolled at Disadvantage (roll twice, pick the lowest), since you guys aren't doing it yourself, and don't have a great success rate.  But sometimes it makes sense.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 03:08:00 pm »

Had another mechanics question about the rolls, and what they mean.

When I do a Design phase roll, you'll see me roll (say) [1, 3, 5].  These are 1d6 rolls for Effectiveness, Expense and Bugs, which have different pre-arranged values I roll for.  Bonuses are applied if you're doing effectively minor modifications to an existing spell, or mixed bonuses and penalties if you're trying to make it cheap on purpose, or if it's designed to only be used by a few people.  Penalties are applied for ambitious projects and for branching out into tech (or magic) you've never done before.

When I do a Revision phase roll it's a straight 1d6 (plus or minus penalties).  As a general rule, Revision phases let you try and fix one of the three earlier rolls, with maybe a bonus if you get a 6.

Occasionally (I'm looking at you, Arstotzka) I've had players vote to try sending an Order in addition to revisions, where they suggest a use for an item without spending the testing time of a revision phase or making any changes to it.  These get rolled at Disadvantage (roll twice, pick the lowest), since you guys aren't doing it yourself, and don't have a great success rate.  But sometimes it makes sense.
I have a question are all Orders rolled at a disadvantage no matter how intuitive they are, I hoped this is the case because it would make meta gaming less effective

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 04:19:19 pm »

Experimental Evidence suggests this is the case.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 04:21:04 pm »

Remember that we're wizards. Not only that, we're the research-type wizards, not the cool killing things type. Frontline commanders probably won't be incredibly keen to listen to what we tell them to do.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 05:56:20 pm »

I have a question are all Orders rolled at a disadvantage no matter how intuitive they are, I hoped this is the case because it would make meta gaming less effective

Yes.  If you want to spend a revision implementing an Order you can roll for it normally, but otherwise Orders are at disadvantage to discourage too many 'extra' actions.  Sometimes they make sense, though, which is why I do sometimes allow them.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 02:05:37 am »

This core thread isn't getting much milage, huh?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 02:25:29 am »

Yeah. Then again, we can always make it more lively by poking fun at the arstotzkans for being dull, dour and horribly boring and that the princess chose wisely in choosing the king (Sultan?) of Moskurg as a husband for he is exciting, lively and caring!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2017, 02:30:00 am »

I really do hope they're happy together
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36