Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]  (Read 41615 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NB:  Due to initial GM hiatus, EvictedSaint is now running this game.

Ripped without shame, but with apology, from Sensei's superior arms race game.

Here, you will join one of two nations, and attempt to design spells and enchantments to destroy the other one.

Arstotzka: Thread!

Moskurg: Thread!

The year is 910, and these two nations having been warring over the small landmass of Forenia in the North Atlantic, some distance west of Ireland.  Europe is entering the High Middle Ages, whilst in the Middle East the Golden Age of civilisation is still taking place.  Forenia remains mostly cut off from these intrigues, as the two long-standing tribes are disinclined to conquer elsewhere (lest they drop their guard for a second and those bastards on the other half of the island take advantage) and too far away for most other cultures to try and conquer.  The Norse established a series of trading posts and a colony in the northern taiga, and were all killed and their technology taken by the local Arstotzkans.  Shortly thereafter, Iberian settlers from the Ummayad empire tried to colonise the southern deserts and were killed by the Moskurgers, who took their technology and breed of fast horses.  The war has continued ever since.

Six months ago, in the hotly disputed centre of Forenia, an old ruin was discovered belonging to some pre-Forenian people.  Contained within, amongst incidental treasure and corpses, were two wands and two spellbooks.  Unfortunately, those bastard Moskurgers/Arstotzkans raided the camp at the last moment and you were only able to get away with half of the loot.  Nevertheless, the discovery has revolutionised war; magic is real, and your nation has been able to train a handful of wizards based off the spellbook and wand you recovered.  The only problem now is trying to figure out more spells and ways to make use of your magic to get one over on those bastard Moskurgers/Arstotzkans!

Torches light the streets and rain falls constantly from the sky. You are meeting around a table strewn with parchment and quills, in a longhouse under watch by the local King's guard. After a period of extended argument discussion, the old team of wizards has been murdered in their sleep dismissed, and you have been chosen to replace them.

THE NATIONS
Arstotzka resides in the cold north of Forenia, much of which is frozen taiga. Moskurg has its capital in the hot sands on the south end of Forenia. In between them is a range of mountains, through which passage is difficult by foot or horse. Around the mountains to the west is a warm, wet jungle region, terminating in swamps rather than beaches. To the east are relatively exposed plains, ideal for farming and consequently hotly fought over. Old Roman roads lead through here, straight from Arstotzka's capitol to Moskurg's, when they aren't blockaded, which they currently are. The sea all around is prone to sudden and treacherous storms that make naval excursions risky, and threaten any ship not in a bay (there is one on the north, south, and west sides of Forenia each). Therefore, ships can only operate in zones adjacent to a friendly bay.

Each region in Forenia has four sections of ground (a total of 20 across the whole landmass).  A region is controlled when a faction has gained all four sections, and holds them for a turn.  Home regions (Arstotzka, Moskurg) remain controlled by their side until the capital.

Arstotzka starts with the following weapons and resources:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moskurg starts with the following weapons and resources:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The magical starting equipment of both sides is not yet determined.

RULES OF THE GAME

In either nation's thread, you may suggest what to do each turn, and vote in favor other suggestions. Please stick to one nation, nobody likes a turncoat! Turns occur in two phases:
-In the Design Phase, you may suggest a new product (e.g. a brand new spell or magic item, a new field of magic, or a magic-altered version of a mundane item). I will secretly roll some dice, and depending how ambitious your new project is, I will assign an Expense to it, and possibly probably introduce Bugs. If you want, you can simply revise an old project instead of making a new one.  Note:  You may simply design a mundane piece of equipment if you want, bearing in mind the manufacturing methods available to you.
-Once you've seen the results of your efforts, we move to the Revision Phase- you can try to reduce the expense, remove bugs, or add features to a product (e.g. reduce the human sacrifice requirement for a spell, make the fireball less inclined to cause friendly fire, apply an already-researched wind spell to your mundane ships). This doesn't have to be the product you started in the first phase, if you're happy with it.
-Then the fighting happens! I'll provide a description of who has the advantage on which fronts, and roll some dice. Resources will be gained and lost sometimes. The next year will start, and we will move to a new Design phase.

Sometimes, you might earn a Design Credit or a Revision Credit, which will allow you one extra design or revision action in one turn.

Expense:  Regular equipment can be given to everyone in your army.  Regular spells can be cast by apprentice wizards.  If a piece of equipment is difficult to produce (or a spell is difficult or costly to cast), it has expense levels: 1 is Expensive, 2 is Very Expensive, and 3 is A National Effort. It doesn't matter how many different types you have, as you'll still only be making a total number of weapons enough to equip everyone, and wizards can only cast so many spells at once.  Inexpensive equipment could be given to every soldier, if you want.  Cantrips can be cast by every wizard.  Expensive equipment can be given to officers, or one per squad (5-10 soldiers). Very Expensive equipment can be used by special squads only, about 1 in 100 soldiers. Your nation can only deploy one National Effort at a time, so it had better be some sort of terrifying monster or a meteor swarm if you want this to be worth it.  If you have multiple weapons at a price tier, then soldiers/squads choose one for the situation.  If you have multiple spells at a price tier, wizards will pick the most suitable for their situation.

You might gain an Expense Credit for a certain type of unit, reducing the expense by 1- for example, if the King desperately wants elite armour, they'll offer an expense credit for it, which might reduce your new rage-infused full plate from A National Effort to Very Expensive. Monetary gains from trade will be represented this way.

The expense of equipment is determined when you design it. The more new features, or the more ambitious, the more likely it is to be expensive. You can attempt to reduce the expense when revising equipment- this might introduce bugs, or it might permanently reduce the expense of that technology.

Wizards:  The game assumes that your nation can field a large number of apprentices, a handful of skilled wizards (the survivors) and a select few masters.  An apprentice can fire off several normal spells and maybe one expensive spell in a fight, skilled wizards might pull off a single very expensive spell and only a master could hope to reliably pull off a National Effort.  At the start of the game, it is assumed that you can put out one wizard (probably an apprentice) per five squads, so spells will take effect accordingly.  Depending on wizard training, that amount could increase or decrease.

Warning:  This is a short-term game.  After 31st of March, it will go on hiatus until early May if not completed by then.

Spoiler: Battles Under The Hood (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:14:17 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread]
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 09:40:03 am »

Glory to Moskurg!
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 12:40:38 pm »

I said it in the other thread, but I'm an Arstotzkan by heart.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 03:15:28 pm »

Arstotzka!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 03:18:03 pm »

Okay, I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 03:33:55 pm »

Hmm, hmm. Moskurg shall be victorious.
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 05:30:46 pm »

And we're into our first year, 911.  Gains and losses across the board, but Moskurg lucked out on routing rolls and managed to kill a lot of Arstotzkan soldiers.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:38:33 pm »

Can't spell victorious without vicious, but I don't see "Mosskeg" in there anywhere...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 09:17:15 pm »

Can't spell victorious without vicious, but I don't see "Mosskeg" in there anywhere...
I don't exactly see "Arstotzka" in the word victorious either.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 09:19:45 pm »

I don't exactly see "Arstotzka" in the word victorious either.
But victory will be "Ars".
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 02:32:09 am »

Really, Asstozka? Wand of Fireballs? Way to be original. What're you going to research next, magic missile?
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 08:39:52 am »

Going to give this design phase 6 hours or so, then start picking the winning designs and roll results.  Designs may have varying effectiveness, expense and bugs, they're pretty wild.  Revisions are much more stable, with only a small chance of outright failure to revise.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 12:27:00 pm »

Does the design phase ending also end the propaganda design?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 01:42:36 pm »

Propaganda contest will end after the revision phase, so you have until then.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36