Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 186588 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - 914 Design Phase [Moskurg]
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2017, 11:50:43 am »

Here's a thought:  if we Expense Credit the Gust of Wind spell, it goes from Expensive to Normal.

That means it's basically a powerful cantrip.  It can already scatter bugs and mist...hmmm...

@Lituem:  could we spend our design phase doing a revision?  If we revise the teletalk to be relay-capable and revise the gust of wind to be even more powerful and expense credit it to be Cheap, then our mind-reading mages can defend themselves from arrow strikes.

I'm disinclined to make a "gale shield" spell, since we're already trying to do that with Gust of Wind.
Gust of Wind has a larger area of effect than the proposed Gale Shield. I want a spell that targets a single squad (or even individual, if necessary)- whilst keeping Gust to deal with larger problems, like mist and bugs.
By which I mean, I'm not sure we could revise Gust to be able to deflect arrows and move entire mist banks out of the way whilst still keeping the cost at its current level, let alone lowering it. Split it into two spells, though, and there's no problem... except for the risk of bugs emerging during the design. Which I acknowledge is a problem, given our luck. But such is the nature of the game, no?

I don't know, maybe you're right... I just feel like no risk means no reward, you know?

Oh, and there's two i's in Iituem. The first letter is a capital i.
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2017, 12:05:53 pm »

Maybe you're right...I suppose I just prefer a more concrete result than the nebulous "maybe" of a new design.

Design Proposal: Cyclone Shield.
Going off of our knowledge and earlier forays in wind manipulation, we propose a rapidly moving shield of wind that surrounds a squad, leaving them in the (relative) calm in the center. Passing through the barrier is disorienting and difficult, and arrows are quickly whipped away before they can reach their targets.  The shield can even deflect the splash damage of nearby fireballs to some extent.

Crucial design features in order of most to least important: 
1) MUST be able to protect the user from arrows.
2) Cost cannot go beyond Very Expensive. Expensive is preferred.
3) Cannot harm the caster.
4) Range must be able to surround the caster.  The ability to surround a squad would be fantastic, and the ability to surround two individuals is acceptable.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2017, 12:20:31 pm »

Thank you!  Stupid sans serif fonts.

You could do two revisions instead of a design and a revision, but the design phase as a whole is generally much more powerful.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2017, 12:23:34 pm »

Thank you!  Stupid sans serif fonts.

You could do two revisions instead of a design and a revision, but the design phase as a whole is generally much more powerful.

Ah, okay then!  I was just having flashbacks to our original Gust of Wind...super expensive solid gold wand that could barely lift a kite ;_;

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2017, 12:35:22 pm »

+1 to this.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2017, 01:09:58 pm »

Maybe you're right...I suppose I just prefer a more concrete result than the nebulous "maybe" of a new design.

Going off of our knowledge and earlier forays in wind manipulation, we propose a rapidly moving shield of wind that surrounds a squad, leaving them in the (relative) calm in the center. Passing through the barrier is disorienting and difficult, and arrows are quickly whipped away before they can reach their targets.  The shield can even deflect the splash damage of nearby fireballs to some extent.

Crucial design features in order of most to least important: 
1) MUST be able to protect the user from arrows.
2) Cost cannot go beyond Very Expensive. Expensive is preferred.
3) Cannot harm the caster.
4) Range must be able to surround the caster.  The ability to surround a squad would be fantastic, and the ability to surround two individuals is acceptable.

+1 to Cyclone Shield
Another two important attributes  to this spells is the duration, we need this spell last significantly enough to be effective in combat. Also, the delay between activation of the spell to when it is to full effectiveness

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2017, 01:17:06 pm »

I mean, this is pretty much the same as what I intended, so, yeah, +1

Another two important attributes  to this spells is the duration, we need this spell last significantly enough to be effective in combat. Also, the delay between activation of the spell to when it is to full effectiveness
The more requirements we specify, the more things can go wrong. Let's not get bogged down in the details.

In fact, I would actually suggest not pushing too hard for point 3 (cannot harm the caster)- mild injuries would be preferable to being perforated by arrows. Obviously it would be better if it didn't cause any harm, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2017, 01:28:55 pm »

I mean, this is pretty much the same as what I intended, so, yeah, +1

Yeah, but I gave it a cooler name u_u

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2017, 10:27:20 pm »

Cyclone Shield:  [1, 3, 6]  Well... there are no side-effects.  The spell functions without any drawbacks, and it doesn't require expensive components, although it's a concentration spell that requires a certain amount of skill to pull off, so it's limited more to our skilled wizards than occasional apprentice use.  The only problem is that it isn't particularly capable.  It can cover one person, either the caster or a nearby target (e.g. a knight) and summons a cyclone around them that... maybe deflects arrows.  Weak ones that were shot at a distance.  Right now, it's enough to negate the lucky strike casters getting sniped, but it's not powerful enough to serve as a real protection for officers and it certainly can't cover more than one person at a time.  Expensive.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2017, 10:37:27 pm »

Jesus, those 1's man.  Always fucking up our perfectly good ideas.

Revision: Amp it up.

Expense Credit: Teletalk Wands.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2017, 11:07:33 pm »

Jesus, those 1's man.  Always fucking up our perfectly good ideas.

Revision: Amp it up.

Expense Credit: Teletalk Wands.
+1, not really other things we could do

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2017, 01:40:45 am »

Well. I like having zero bugs. Though I would happily exchange a few minor bugs for a boost to power.
...actually, is that an option? I'm not saying we should, but it is worth knowing: can we deliberately revise in a more reckless manner that is more likely to boost power, but may also introduce new bugs?

In the mean time, +1 to amping up Cyclone Shield

I'm not sure what to use the expense credit on. I like the idea of Teletalk relays, but I need to think about it some more.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2017, 01:47:35 am »

Teletalk wands are essentially radios.  Radios in the middle ages.

That would be a huuuge benefit to our side, but up until this point we haven't been able to use them effectively because they're expensive and short ranged.  Up until we started cranking out decent bows our only saving grace was our superior intelligence; mind reading the enemy and countering their moves.  Cheaper teletalk wands means we can have better intel and coordination - reinforcements at the right moment is the difference between winning and losing a battle.  This is definitely the right move.

Edit: God no, do not purposefully introduce bugs into the design.  We have a functional design for once, if we can keep it that way we absolutely should.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:51:47 am by evictedSaint »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2017, 02:27:16 am »

Hmm... what's everyone's thoughts on teletalk beads we could integrate into helmets or otherwise worn by our troops? Or something like magic potion from asterix & obelix?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2017, 02:29:20 am »

Hmm... what's everyone's thoughts on teletalk beads we could integrate into helmets or otherwise worn by our troops? Or something like magic potion from asterix & obelix?

That all sounds like something that would require revision credits.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 217