Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 190074 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1650 on: May 09, 2017, 08:42:41 am »

Since no one seems to want the Mirage Shield I'll switch to the Flying Carpet.

Quote from: Votes
Protection of the Higher Truths/Mirage Shield (0) :
Adamantium (3) : Devastator, Crazyabe, Detoxicated
Flying Carpet (2): NUKE9.13, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: May 09, 2017, 09:29:33 am »

Adamantium (4) : Devastator, Crazyabe, Detoxicated, Mardent23
Flying Carpet (2): NUKE9.13, Happerry
[/quote]

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 09, 2017, 12:24:56 pm »

It seems like Adamantium is in the lead. Unless that changes soon I'll roll up the design.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: May 09, 2017, 12:57:27 pm »

Depending on our rolls we should revise pavise shields to be cheaper and adamtium so they can be handled more easily.

Expense should go to adamntium bodkins that can punch through plate.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: May 09, 2017, 02:17:48 pm »

Flying Carpet (3): NUKE9.13, Happerry, Madman198237
The ability to fly would be a hilarious advantage. I'm going to vote for it, just in case somebody wants to change off of adamantine. Because flying would change the game, whereas this adamantine is venturing into a new field of magic (Permanently manipulating the state of matter with magic. Since we don't want it to be an enchantment, I'd say. That way it can't be reversed by antimagic.) yet flying would just be an extension of our wind magics.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: May 09, 2017, 02:25:35 pm »

Flying Carpet (4): NUKE9.13, Happerry, Madman198237, Kashyyk

As madman says, Flying Carpets are arguably more related to our current knowledge base than Adamantium is.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 09, 2017, 02:33:45 pm »

Oh good, a tie.

Well, in an attempt to break it in Flying Carpet's favour, let me remind people that we need something to hold onto the jungle right now. Adamantium would probably require several designs and revisions to deliver a bonus in combat- as mentioned, it represents a new school of magic, which means the first design will just be us dipping our toes into the new knowledge.
I am not necessarily opposed to the idea, but I'd rather secure our position in the jungle this turn.
Long Live United Forenia!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 09, 2017, 02:46:16 pm »

True but with adamantium this turn we can throw the revision bodkins and shields.  There is a bunch of people who have been waiting for it too. The earlier we deploy it the earlier we can reap its benefits
Also flying carpets is even "newer" as technology and therefore less likely to work

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: May 09, 2017, 02:49:30 pm »

We may not even need to revise anything.  If we have a spell that makes steel into adamantium, it could be cast on completed items as well as raw steel, and hence not needing revisions at all.  Now revising the big shields to be cheaper, that would be an option..

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 09, 2017, 02:49:58 pm »

But we'll probably not make it this turn. We have to assume we won't. Flying carpets are going to get us a ludicrous advantage from land to sea and back again. Think how EASY it is to assault the mountains when you can FLY!

So, yes, we've now got to buckle down, cause this hype train is about to go crazy on their faces.

Bonus points if we make an elite squad of flying-machine-riders who ride giant eagles.
That way, the lonely soon-to-be-unconscious squire can shout "The Eagles are coming!" before getting knocked out and/or killed. Also, giant metal talons are REALLY GOOD at dismembering people.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: May 09, 2017, 02:51:34 pm »

Fair point.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 09, 2017, 02:52:24 pm »

I don't see why I have to assume that we won't be getting adamantium, while assuming that we will be getting flying carpets.  They both seem somewhat out there, with us having related skills but both of them being somewhat ambitious designs.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 09, 2017, 02:55:21 pm »

True but with adamantium this turn we can throw the revision bodkins and shields.  There is a bunch of people who have been waiting for it too. The earlier we deploy it the earlier we can reap its benefits
Also flying carpets is even "newer" as technology and therefore less likely to work
We need something to hold the jungle this turn.
Enchanting items with spell-effects is one thing. Permanently altering its material properties is another. We can argue that one leads into the other, but we cannot argue they are the same. I am ludicrously sceptical of the idea that we can pull off Adamantium with a single design action.
Flying Carpets are based on existing magic. It uses wind magic and enchanting, both of which we have ample experience with.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 09, 2017, 02:56:29 pm »

Because we CANNOT use enchanted steel.

It will not work. They've developed some antimagic. We need to permanently change the nature of the materials, a science and an art  that we've not yet dived in to. Wind, however? We're set with wind magics. Even if it turns out we're just using wind spells instead of enchanted anything to push the carpet along, it will work, and get us what we need.

So, eS, why isn't Clear Skies working on the rainstorms over our heads? It seems like it should, unless it's ONLY effective on Storm Strike's storms.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: May 09, 2017, 02:59:04 pm »

As opposed to enchanting and faith magic.  We also haven't had anything that flies before, and that's a more difficult application of wind magic than making winds blow.  As I see it, we have two bonuses in each, and could botch each one.  The changing material properties bit is where the faith magic comes in.. it's only the power of Allah that can create new materials, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 217