Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 190048 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1935 on: May 24, 2017, 03:54:26 am »

Maybe some smaller airships First to raise experience.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: May 24, 2017, 04:14:39 am »

I'd still like to make magic-copper plated warships myself. The metal plating should make them resistant enough to cannonfire that we'll start winning in the ocean again, and should be light enough that we can actually put it on the ships.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: May 24, 2017, 04:17:59 am »

Actually that would be a noce tech and we definitely can evolve the airship from it

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: May 24, 2017, 04:21:01 am »

Exactly what I was thinking, but we'll need to spend a design on it, it's not something we can revise.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: May 24, 2017, 07:37:11 am »

So Possible Design for next turn: Adamantium Plating our ships.
Possible Revision: Shape controlled Adamantium Summoning(LITERALLY unbreakable Metal armor, Large amounts of Cheaply made Metal Spikes, Ect).
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: May 24, 2017, 02:33:47 pm »

Honestly, we first need to design that adamantine to be, you know, shapeable and stuff. Once it's become nearly invincible (Steel-hard or better and workable using magic), we'll be able to armor our ships in what amounts to indestructible leather.

But it's not going to work if adamantine comes in bricks and only bricks. It requires a design to use. Evicted, could you please explain your policy on designs versus revisions to clear this up.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: May 24, 2017, 06:14:32 pm »

Wait... Bricks! INDESTRUCTIBLE FORTIFICATIONS SUMMONED ON DEMAND!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: May 24, 2017, 07:00:22 pm »

Adamantine plating does NOT need a design. It's extremely easy in concept and practice. However, making an "adamantine" fiber version and making the metallic version shapeable will be design-worthy.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 24, 2017, 08:00:56 pm »

Yeah, we could probably do just the plating with a revision, but there's been huge changes to the sea environment, and we've yet to replace our existing boats.  Now they fight with mages and ballistas, always have trailing winds, and can use rigging and keel changes to take advantage of that.  We could use protection for the ballista postions, or design ones that can carry more than one, and have space for carpets.

There's a lot of room for improvement, in addition to the speed and protection from the plating.  The rigging and keel changes should also add speed, and adamantium magazines for the fire pots, as well as protected fire positions would also be very good ideas.  There's a whole raft of changes, and all of them would be beneficial.

Basically, think of it as a new boat to take notice of the change to long-ranged artillery battles with magazines and secure ballista positions, and the always-on wind direction for greater speed.  Having adamantine plating further increases the speed and maneuverability (due to our hulls having less friction and being immune to barnacles and sea decay), as well as significantly increased survivability, with little extra difficulty because nailing sheets of soft supermetal to the outside of a hull is really quite easy, and it's light and strong enough to add quite a bit of toughness over wooden beams, without running into the topweight problem inherant in normal steel armor.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:17:11 pm by Devastator »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 24, 2017, 08:40:54 pm »

I apparently confused Devastator about what I'm suggesting. For next turn's design (evicted update when? ;)) I'm suggesting we upgrade Storm Strike, so that having the storm raging around the area (We're in a clear bubble still, of course) will empower our other wind-based spells, like cyclone shield and gust of wind. The design will also be used to make Storm Strike castable in any weather, and possibly also making it cheaper with all we've learned about efficiency of casting through other uses of wind magic.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 24, 2017, 08:48:05 pm »

The main use of the gusts of wind and cyclone shield would be improving the enchantments on the carpets.  Having heavy lightning storms and blizzards in the area would seem counterproductive to that.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 24, 2017, 08:59:09 pm »

It's always going to be a lightning storm. The damage the carpets do can't really be compared to the force of the Hammer of Allah. That said, we could probably revise a mini Clear Skies effect onto the carpets or something. Reverse lightning rod?

I mean, really, carpets only need to be used as skirmish weapons. I think we surprised them enough that unless we get a flying ship made of MAGIC METAL or some such we won't be needing much additional changes on our carpets.

And no, that won't be the "main use" of gusts of wind and cyclone shield. Can you IMAGINE the wonders of cyclone shields powerful enough to deflect their cannonballs?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: May 24, 2017, 09:14:46 pm »

Why make it like storm strike at all?  We have wand magic, we have antimagic, we have enchanted items.  We could just give our casters magic-boosting gear.  You're using a design, you aren't shackled to what already exists.

I still want the boat first as they seem to like to counter what we design, and I don't see them having a good solution to a fast boat that's tough enough to take cannonballs and utterly fireproof, so that might cause them to blow their next design utterly.  Maybe more than one.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:21:53 pm by Devastator »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: May 24, 2017, 09:24:55 pm »

Because improving Storm Strike like this not only uses our wind experience (Which we have TONS of), it also makes the Hammer of Allah usable again. This might just sway battles our way again.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: May 24, 2017, 09:29:35 pm »

Because improving Storm Strike like this not only uses our wind experience (Which we have TONS of), it also makes the Hammer of Allah usable again. This might just sway battles our way again.

How many bonuses would apply to a wand of wind magic again?
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 217