Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 186049 times)

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2445 on: June 16, 2017, 10:25:32 am »

Quote from: Revision Vote Tally
Revision 1
(6) Thermogenic Adamantium: Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, SMMI, Khang36, AC, Madman198237

Revision 2
(3) Zephyric Destruction: Madman, NUKE, AC
(0) Airship Construction Yards:
(1) Revise Academy of Magic: Kashyyk

I choose this, as I imagine this would effectively reduce the number of apprentices we have in exchange for increasing the number of wizards. Pretty much every spell we have requires wizards over apprentices, so we will have a slight quantity bonus to everything.
We certainly need to bolster our wizard ranks eventually, but we're currently anticipating Arstotzka to continue pursuing anti-lightning measures. If they succeed, we lose our main weapon. More wizards would be useless without a powerful offensive spell to cast.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: June 16, 2017, 04:44:08 pm »

Seems thermogenic adamantium is winning.  1 hour to vote lock.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: June 16, 2017, 06:22:56 pm »

Revision: Thermogenic Adamantium [5+1]

It turns out to be pretty easy to change the temperature of Adamantium, even after being summoned.  The metal remains a constant temperature, which means in high temperature environments it absorbs heat, and in low-temperature environments it exudes heat.  The temperature of the metal can be set when being smithed, and then changed later through a blessing and prayer process that lasts an hour or so. 

The end result is armor that actively warms the user in cold environments, and can be switched to cooler temperatures in warmer environments.  We also make a set of high-temperature pots and pans for our army cooks, who are happy to receive cookware that doesn't rely on fire for heat.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:54:36 pm by evictedSaint »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: June 16, 2017, 06:27:30 pm »

...Holy crap I think Moskurg is building high-rises now. Adamantium can be used as a heating material and as a way of turning cooking into something that doesn't induce fire hazards.

And being hit with a weapon of superheated or superchilled Adamantium is not gonna be fun. Our archers are gonna love this as well. Unless we need another revision to weaponise this :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: June 16, 2017, 06:55:51 pm »

Unless we need another revision to weaponise this :P

You can boil/freeze water with your Adamantium, but only barely.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: June 16, 2017, 07:03:05 pm »

I'd say that's good enough for now then. Causing shallow tissue burns along with any stabs is a definite improvement. Burns are difficult to treat even with modern medicine after all.

I still vote for fixing the academy,  but I won't complain if the zephyr wins.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: June 16, 2017, 07:12:06 pm »

Revision 2
(4) Zephyric Destruction: Madman, NUKE, AC, SMMI
(1) Revise Academy of Magic: Kashyyk

Yay, we did it. I think part of the problem with the delay on it was that death via exposure was fairly well discounted.

Now watch them try to build up the cold and it do absolutely nothing as our shit preemptively adjusts to differing temps.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: June 16, 2017, 07:46:29 pm »

Revision 2
(4) Zephyric Destruction: Madman, NUKE, AC, SMMI
(2) Revise Academy of Magic: Kashyyk, Happerry
Personally I feel that our biggest limitation (now that we've solved the cold issues) is the lack of magic users, given that we need to be mass producing magic carpets and flying ships and then using said items, all of which takes up plenty of magic users even before we add in the need to be casting lightning storms and such.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: June 16, 2017, 08:43:33 pm »

Alright, it was not mentioned here, but I wish it had been.

The reason the Discord discussion took place was a disagreement that we settled by combining two uses of the Zephyr. One was the offensive use, the other the defensive use.

This attempts to do both. The point being, you don't need extra mages if we can stop this from being a war of magic and artillery. The Zephyrs will allow our flankers to decimate their artillery, and allow our main bodies to protect themselves, directly protect themselves, from artillery.

WE CAN GET TO CLOSE RANGE AGAIN. We can slaughter them. AGAIN. Our artillery works better up close. Our magic works slightly better up close.

We revert to how it was a decade or more ago, with a few changes: We have adamantine, antimagic, airships, carpets, and spells capable of destroying their artillery.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: June 16, 2017, 08:46:18 pm »

@happerry: Fair. Depending on their actions this turn, I might not mind spending a design and/or a revision next turn to amp up our quantity of magi/increase the efficiency of magical item production.

Hell, a design on "Magic Item Construction Facilities" which includes more streamlined production for things might work
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: June 17, 2017, 02:36:16 am »

I could definitely get behind spending an entire design next turn on getting more wizards. My reasoning in favour of the Zephyr this turn is that if they roll out anti-lightning tech, all the wizards in the world won't do much damage. Better, then, to improve our non-lightning offence first, then increase our number of wizards. To be clear, more wizards is a close second for me.
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: June 17, 2017, 12:49:11 pm »

Revision: Zephyric Destruction [5]

With some rather simple refinements to how Gust of Wind is cast (mainly by invoking the name of Allah) we amp up the destructive capabilities of the tornado.

It's not so much the wind that kills people as it is the things the wind carries, as it turns out.  Right now the tormado could pick someone up and toss them away - assuming it passes right over them - but the real damage comes from picking up smaller, lighter objects like swords and branches and rocks and whipping them about at high speeds.  Anything a man could easily pick up becomes a wild, un-aimed ballista bolt.

Because of this, we can expect the Zephyr to be much more effective in the tiaga, the jungle, and to a lesser extent the mountains. 

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: June 17, 2017, 12:58:44 pm »

How is it at deflecting cannonballs?

Can we expect decent use in that regard?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: June 17, 2017, 01:29:15 pm »

Not really.  The shells may get blown off course if they pass near the tornado, but they're moving very fast already and don't particularly rely on precision barrages anyways.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: June 17, 2017, 02:30:20 pm »

Suprised there wasn't a bonus but I sure ain't complainin.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 217