Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 185985 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2490 on: June 19, 2017, 08:28:19 pm »

Weather Magic in the Light of Allah's Will
Within this thesis paper I will explore the intricate aspects of weather magic in an elaborate way, focusing on the ordered and holy aspect of the weather. Thank you to my teachers, especially Al-Mutriqa.

The weather surrounding us is a complex machination created by the almighty Allah. This complicated set of different rulesets defines our everyday lives so much as we are dependant on the currents of
air and the rain from the clouds. While the weather behaves seemingly random to the common peasant's eye, it has precise ways how it reacts to different qualities within the air. Humidity, air pressure, sunlight, the terrain, and temperature are some of the qualities that affect the weather. In the right set of circumstances a seemingly modest cloudy day can turn into a storm scenario, just as well as a violent storm can turn quite docile in no time. There is no telling how the weather will be in a week, even after years of study.

To understand Weather Magic, one must learn from the weather itself first, so understanding the different types of weather is key to learning how to control aspects of them. As its understood by the thinkers, the nature of magic is that it exists as a currency of the faithful to shape the world in the will of allah. Each and every object and concept holds this magic within. Therefore it is key to the weather mage to communicate to the key concept of the given weather he has before him in form of prayer and chant and hand movement. The measures of these three parts of casting magic are so vast that they do not fit the entirety of this thesis, and are of a different subject.

By using the proper chant the mage invokes a primal aspect of the key concept of the beforehand weather. He lets his personal channel communicate with the weathers channel by hitting the right frequencies and words, and whilst the key aspect is invoked it still does not understand what the caster wants and is unwilling. It is the proper hand movement that shows the aspect how it has to move and what it has to do. Some cloud types seem to be more willing to aid casters, like cumuli. Other aspectss need more direct and more complicated orders. There is different schools of proper hand adjustments each specializing in one of the different weather areas we have learned to guide like Wind, Lightning, and Tornadoes. Al-Mutriqa himself has developed several hand techniques himself, in assistance with the university. The prayer is also to be properly adjusted to the aspect. Whilst we pray allah, we also praise the totality of Existance, as well as this special aspect within that totality. The proper recitation techniques can be found by any imam but include respecting the nature of weather, and especially this cloud, because it does so to please the will of Allah. This teaches us about the nature of magic. Whilst the mage can feel his own as well as the aspect's magic by chanting and invoking that same aspect, the mage can also feel that the aspect understood your spell intention, it is the prayer that seals the deal and finishes what you have dreamed before. As our chosen have discovered new forms of weather magic they sometimes tapped into another territory of magic. The devils magic works miraculously but not as expected. The sandstorms were called and helped in battles, but they also halted the economy in our home territory. Later on the wise men discovered their mistake and replaced the old spell with a new one that was respectful to the will of Allah and it worked well.

As our knowledge of weather magic has allowed us to conquer the sky with our pegasi and our magnificient airships we can also observe an interesting quirk of character of this divine nature of magic.
We have created a beast of burden, the pegasus, flying rolled carpet of the skies. To create a pegasus you need the basic aspects of spells as mentioned above, but you also need to fuse the aspects of weather into the aspect of the carpet. By combining the two alien concepts you create a more complex aspect which interacts with the world differently. To fit in a proper way the aspect develops an own sense and a crude form of will, which has to be conquered first. Successes were made a few years back when a war pegasus taming program was started. The army should definitely keep an eye out that their spells keep on following the path of allah, whilst experimenting on the nature of magics aspects.

Magical Academy: (1) detoxicated
Mithril: (1) Madman198237
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:31:17 pm by Detoxicated »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: June 19, 2017, 08:32:50 pm »

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to try and write one of those up. Good thing I still have time, I guess.

I figured that, in the light of the additional possible heir/younger sibling mentioned, there might be some interesting ways to interpret her desires.

Hey, evicted, I need some more information before trying to write this. What do we know about the princess's talents, likes, dislikes, worries, fears, anything? Or do we invent this canon for ourselves?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: June 19, 2017, 08:39:29 pm »

Magical Academy: (1) detoxicated
Mithril: (2) Madman198237, Egan_BW

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: June 19, 2017, 08:41:02 pm »

Hey, evicted, I need some more information before trying to write this. What do we know about the princess's talents, likes, dislikes, worries, fears, anything? Or do we invent this canon for ourselves?

No comment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: June 19, 2017, 09:35:22 pm »

Alright, well, nothing much is mentioned about the princess at all, so I guess there's just a couple things to go off of.
And, evicted, re-reading the reports that mention Hayat has got me wondering---since when has al-Mutriqa been chaos-loving or violent? Speaking of which, good job, fellow Moskurgers! Our future queen is part-lunatic with a love of dangerous flying and zapping things with lightning wands!

So, she enjoys flying, lightning, and chaos, yet has the threat of betrayal and/or competition from a younger brother. Also, she's going to have lots of pressure put on her to excel. Not just to be a leader by virtue of birth, but to be a leader in all ways. Also, she didn't like the feeling of being coddled, or restricted. Also, she appears not to have learned much about the magical summoning processes.

Alright, I'm not feeling too inspired to write this up now, so if someone else wants to take a literary jab at doing something like this, please do. Otherwise (And maybe I'll do it anyway) I'll write something up tomorrow.

------The princess doesn't like being limited, is ferociously interested in magic, and has been pressured to do something amazing and leader-like by her father and his loyal advisers (Compared to the non-loyal ones, who wish to see his son inherit the throne).

For the sake of my own sanity and our gains in spite of her personality I'm going to assume that, at heart, Hayat is a good person and has grown up a bit during her training. So, what does she need to show the world? She wants to be a strong and capable leader, meaning she must make a huge advance in an unstudied field of tech. Not to mention, she looks up to al-Mutriqa, who is a great leader on the battlefield (And swings a shining golden mace, wearing shining golden armor, killing all who stands before him. Who doesn't want to be that person?).

So I figure this: What do all these things have in common? Leadership and untested areas of magic. We've never done anything with the Wand of Heroism, yet she really wants to do things with the highest level of technology. So, I'm going to write up her thesis (And outline her research) based on these assumptions, that she's worked on the Wand of Heroism, perhaps duplicating its qualities into an adamantine wand (Another of the great magical fields we know, yet did not introduce her to). Perhaps she's made herself a Wand of Fear, reversing the qualities of the Wand of Heroism. Or perhaps she has felt the need to have her own courage, perhaps she is insecure in her future, and has crafted herself a small gem with the power of the Wand, inspiring her, always. Perhaps she has made a new crown with such a gem.

Anyway. I'll write it all out tomorrow.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: June 20, 2017, 01:55:29 am »

Quote from: Design Vote Tally
(1) Magical Academy: detoxicated
(3) Mithril: Madman198237, Egan_BW, AC
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: June 20, 2017, 02:04:47 am »

I don't think Mithril is the way forward. Every time we made major gains was when we changed the nature of warfare, like lightning storms,  artillery & air warfare. Making another magical material is going to be much harder and his us less of a bonus than something like the academy (which we haven't got something for) or say,  an armored vehicle or long range divination.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: June 20, 2017, 07:24:50 am »

The way to use our divination is going to be a design for rapid magical earth-moving, allowing for split-second berms to be raised when we see flares or when the divination goes off. Also, a revision to fix divination's issues would be nice.

Making an edit to the description. It should have been clearer.

Kashyyk, right now we're getting into infantry-range combat. Again. We're not doing as well as we did because of their new magical armors. Well, you know what? If they want to use magical equipment like that, let'em. Mithril is the first step in a very large range of options as to what we can do with metals. Advanced metallurgy mixed with enchantments will give us incredible killing power in infantry combat. Also, if the phrase "super-hard adamantine ballistae bolts" doesn't tickle your fancy, we're going to have to show you the door.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: June 20, 2017, 07:34:48 am »

(1) Anti-Crystal Sonic Shells: Happerry

We really really need to keep naval dominance people, or else we're going to start loosing ground again. Since their ships are now made out of crystal, a shell that causes said crystal to shatter should be really good against them.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: June 20, 2017, 07:40:32 am »

Or we could increase the number of wizards we have, which would increase the volume of lighting, ballista bolts and firestorm shells we launch at them, which were all mentioned as effective counters to their infantry.

(2) Magical Academy: detoxicated, Kashyyk

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: June 20, 2017, 07:52:44 am »

But it can't do enough.

If we're killing them in close combat, we win.

There's a reason that regular armies still exist, and that reason is that no mage can win a war by themselves. There's too many other mages to kill, too many civilians who will fight back, too much ground to cover. We need to make our regular army the best it can be. Then we make a slight change to our weather magic next turn, and we'll be killing them faster than ever.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: June 20, 2017, 08:11:22 am »

Spending a design to make ~slightly better Adamantium~ is a waste. Moar Wizards will help us a lot more.

(3) Magical Academy: detoxicated, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: June 20, 2017, 08:52:53 am »

(4) Magical Academy: detoxicated, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Happerry
(0) Anti-Crystal Sonic Shells:
I want an academy more then I want Mithril, when it comes down to it.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: June 20, 2017, 09:33:55 am »

It is not "slightly better". It pushes the limits of what we can do and it is cannon-proof. Our best bet for defense and offense is this mithril. If we wait two turns, we get a plains population bonus to the effectiveness of making a magical academy.

Here's what I want to do this turn. It might give you guys better ideas of why I want mithril:
Ideally, we get a good result on this design (Duh). We should get good bonuses to rolls because of the simplicity.

Immediately, mithril becomes a component of our halberds, elite lamellar, AIRSHIPS, Siroccos, and literally everything else made of metal that needs to be hard. Our airships and Siroccos won't die to cannonfire, as they'll be protected in new and better armor. We'll be able to cut through their crystal-armored infantry. Since we outnumber them, this gives us MUCH more capability in infantry fights, and we go back to winning hands-down.

Then, we spend a revision to make all-metal or more-metal armor. Think Arstoztzkan plate, but less extensive, since our troops are dependent on formation-based fighting.

In the end, we go back to winning infantry battles. Next turn, we get more mages, and then make lightning bypass their lightning rods. With the mage-power to shoot down every single one of their cannons and more of their infantry, we'll be winning land battles hands-down. But this turn, we need to get the infantry advances in order to make greatest use of having more mages.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:56 am »

(4) Magical Academy: detoxicated, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Happerry
(4) Mithril: Madman198237, Egan_BW, AC, khang36
(0) Anti-Crystal Sonic Shells:
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 217