Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 185932 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - 912 Design Phase [Moskurg]
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 03:02:20 am »

Okay I've been lurking, and I think now is to time to join the fight for glorious moskurg!

Now, while we could work on a new spell, we could also redesign our short bows to be recurved. That would give us much better archers and enable our archers to fight from horseback, and give us a much bigger advantage in the jungle too compared to the bulky Arstotzkan longbows.

Recurved short bow: A simple short bow built to magnify the power of the shot fired from it compared to the regular short bow. Combined with our current bowmaking techniques (Since we already seem to have composite bows judging from the shot bow description) this should give us a definitive advantage over the arstotzkan archers.

Remember that while magic is powerful, it relies on our troops to act as it's vessels. Better troops means the effect of magic is multiplied. So while we spend one revision on the teletalk thing we spend the other making a large, light shield to defend from their ranged fire?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 04:48:58 am »

Teletalk Revision: [1!] 
Oh Eff. I thought revision was supposed to be reliable.

I'm afraid it is.  You have a 5/6 chance of a successful revision (with varying effects).  You just kept crit failing that turn.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 05:52:05 am »

Hey Iituem, question, is the only thing we need for horse archers a new type of bow to be effectively used from horseback? Also, would we be able to make a large shield in a revision action?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 05:53:55 am »

Hey Iituem, question, is the only thing we need for horse archers a new type of bow to be effectively used from horseback? Also, would we be able to make a large shield in a revision action?

Since you're halfway there with shortbows, and you have a raider cavalry setup already, I'd say a new bow design would be enough to get a horse archer corps started at the very least (effectiveness may vary, since they'll be new).  Since you have bucklers already, yes, a large shield could count as a revision action, since shieldmaking is a well understood art.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 05:58:51 am »

Ohoho this is gonna be the turn where we make Arstotzka's archers WEEP! :D

And their heavy cavalry, and their infantry. Really, it's just gonna such to be Arstotzkan :P

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 06:04:20 am »

I'm definitely in favour of developing better shields, and if we can do that with a revision, we definitely should.

And I do like horse archers... but I worry that we'd only be improving our lead on the plains, where we are already doing okay. Horse archers, not so useful in the jungle or the mountains.
That being said, I still like the idea. I'd just prefer something that lets us take out enemy mages, who are causing us problems all over the place.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 06:15:22 am »

The recurve bows plan boosts all our archers and enables horse archers. This means we're boosting both the jungles and the plains, along with getting a nice counterunit to that bastard spamming fireballs. Helps at sea too given the improvement to a ship's archer compliment. Add in a large, light shield to keep our spearmen safe from enemy fire and we'll be good.

And if we get the chance to add in bodkin arrows later, those thanes are gonna be cursing up a storm. They'll need to dedicate at least a few turns trying to counter our horse archers and general ranged supremacy (Lucky strike being what it is, massed archer volleys from us will be downright deadly.)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 06:32:11 am »

I think that we at least need to come up with a plan to take back the mountains, because we have lost that front both times.

The problem is that they use fog to mask their approach, right? Then let's blow the fog away.
I suggest we make some kind of wind spell that blows away the fog. Additional uses for this May be to help blow fireballs off course, get rid of swarms of wasps,  make ships go faster, and redirect arrows
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 06:45:25 am »

Also an option, though I doubt we could blow fireballs off-course. Should work against everything else.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 06:49:55 am »

Also an option, though I doubt we could blow fireballs off-course. Should work against everything else.
Depends on how powerful it is. If it's a cheap spell, it'll probably just make a slight breeze. If it's, like A national effort or something, I'm thinking it could be like a massive tornado or something. Personally, I would prefer it be the rank just above cheap, whatever that may be.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 06:51:54 am »

Hey, actually, yeah! Whilst it would be branching out into a new sphere of magic, wind gets rid of fog, swarms, and if we're lucky, arrows. Plus enhancing our naval supremacy? Sounds like a winner to me.

+1 to developing Gust of Wind
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 06:57:40 am »

Right, developing the wind this turn, then bows the next? I can live with that. And maybe we can make our horses cheap next turn!

+1 to Gust of Wind

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 07:05:23 am »

Right, developing the wind this turn, then bows the next? I can live with that. And maybe we can make our horses cheap next turn!

+1 to Gust of Wind
+2

Lets blow the wasps back to their sails!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 02:37:35 pm »

+3 to Gust of Wind

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 02:47:47 pm »

Fix Teletalk beacons.

We need to stop burning out our mages, and it could be a much better force multiplier than it is now. It's too broken to be fixed with a single revision.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 217