Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 185959 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #3165 on: September 05, 2017, 08:23:44 pm »

That's not really lamellar, as I understand it anyway. Assuming my sources are correct. I had a huge post written up, but I hadn't posted it. And then my computer froze.

Argh.

So, two revisions:

Path of the Righteous
A slight adaptation of the microspell that is now part of the Hammer means that it will not only seek crystal, but it will also avoid adamantine, making our soldiers effectively immune to the lightning we summon.

Youngling Training Exercise
Through intense meditation, study, and defiance in the face of the laws of physics perseverance, our Researcher Priests have discovered how a mere apprentice can utilize the power of the Hammer of Allah. And it's terrifying.
(Cheapen Hammer of Allah)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: September 05, 2017, 08:32:52 pm »

Why is it important for lightning to avoid adamantine? We are not having huge problems with friendly fire, to my knowledge. I do not think we will be able to convince the Arstotzkans to use our own weapons that can't damage us, so I think it would be a better use of a revision to try to make wands mundane-usable.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: September 05, 2017, 08:42:56 pm »

Because using adamantine-avoiding lightning allows us to use our artillery-equivalent on all enemies, even the ones fighting our troops in hand-to-hand combat.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: September 06, 2017, 08:12:41 am »

Lightning rifles (1): Detoxicated

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: September 06, 2017, 09:34:10 am »

Fine, have another alternative.

Allah's Drinking Buddy The Eldest Wizard
al-Mutriqa is old. He has been fighting this war for 38 years, and skirmishing with the Arstotzkans before that. As he reaches a truly old age, he has lost the destructive chaos of his youth, and gained a reasoned outlook, and acquired great wisdom and strength. Out of this wisdom and this strength has come a single spell, destructive beyond measure, a spell that only al-Mutriqa can cast. As it begins, a rain of lightning falls from the sky, striking Arstotzkans and their heathen crystals with more intensity, more ferocity, and simple more lightning than even the greatest Hammer of Allah ever cast. It gathers a swirling storm of lightning and wind and blinding rain around him, in a terrible cyclone stronger than any others yet seen. Arrows and men and cannonballs and ballistae bolts cannot puncture the curtain, all who try are flung to a certain death. While using it, al-Mutriqa has great control over the winds, and is capable of using them to move himself faster, or even to fly in a glorious spectacle of shining golden armor. It will be the strongest spell ever unleashed, and it will win this war.
---Basically trading a guaranteed National Effort for super-powers, this is going to turn the final confrontation between al-Mutriqa and Myark into an awesome battle for sure. Should I add flight into it, perhaps instead of the super-cyclone he could be able to direct the winds to carry him with great speed? Actually yes, I'm going to do that.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: September 06, 2017, 12:00:27 pm »

Quote from:  Design Votes

Arc Haberds ():
Lightning Rifles (2): Detoxicated, Kashyyk
Warrior's Robes ():
The Eldest Wizard ():

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: September 06, 2017, 12:49:26 pm »

Arc Haberds (1): Taricus
Lightning Rifles (2): Detoxicated, Kashyyk
Warrior's Robes ():
The Eldest Wizard ():
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: September 06, 2017, 01:16:32 pm »

Electrohalbard Trick-rifle

Our scientists have decided that the only thing cooler than having electric halberds and lightning rifles is to have both in one weapon. This is a lightning wand, modified to be usable by common soldiers, attached to the end of an insulated metal rod and an adamantine blade. While in halberd-mode, it can be swung about and used as a bladed weapon infused with the power of lightning. With a simple adjustment of the head, it can be transformed into rifle-mode, with the shaft of the weapon now serving as the rifle barrel, and the blade as the stock (this will not result in the weapon's recoil cutting the soldier's arm off, due to the adjusted angle of the blade.) We look forward to reports of our more skilled warriors switching between the two modes rapidly and stylishly.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: September 06, 2017, 01:23:10 pm »

Yeah, moving parts is just going to make that a whole lot more difficult to do. Better to keep moving parts to the minimum.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: September 06, 2017, 01:45:44 pm »

It was just too cool not to write up, even if it's not practical.

Lightning Rifles (3): Detoxicated, Kashyyk, Egan_BW
Warrior's Robes ():
The Eldest Wizard ():
Electrohalbard Trick-Rifle ():

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: September 06, 2017, 02:15:02 pm »

True, true. But again, the rifles aren't going to make much of a difference in melee; we're fighting in close quarters due to urban conditions.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: September 06, 2017, 02:59:10 pm »

Lightning Rifles (3): Detoxicated, Kashyyk, Egan_BW
Warrior's Robes ():
The Eldest Wizard (1): Madman

I convinced myself. I really, REALLY want to see this in action.

I'm going to point out to you guys that firepower is not our issue. Surviving long enough to use our halberds is the issue.

Oh, and overloading the features or relying on magical equipment is going to result in expense issues, where you can't equip your troops with them.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: September 06, 2017, 03:04:34 pm »

Lightning Rifles (4): Detoxicated, Kashyyk, Egan_BW, Happerry
Warrior's Robes ():
The Eldest Wizard (1): Madman
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: September 07, 2017, 02:16:42 pm »

Seems like lightning rifles are winning. Designs in a bit.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: September 07, 2017, 06:31:24 pm »

Design: Lightning Rifle [3-1, 3+1, 5]

The Lightning Rifle is - surprisingly - based off the Thundergun artillery shells, which use a Wand of Thunderbolts as a detonation mechanism without magely interference.

Unlike Arstotzkan attempts to make magic usable by mundane individuals, the Wand of Thunderbolts has actually been more along the lines of an actual battery rather than contained magical force.  The spells, hymns, and holy words incorporated have largely been for the benefit of the wielding mage, to assist in their own native magical control of the electric discharge.  The Lightning Rifle attempts to emulate this with mixed results.

Initially, the Lightning Rifle was designed as a simple wooden handle with a trigger that connects the circuit on a modified Wand of Thunderbolts, allowing a discharge of electric potential.  This proved disastrous, as a mundane user has no way of controlling the output of the now-uncontained lightning.  Further modifications to the design saw the addition of a long, adamantium spike to help direct the flow away from the user, as well as a wooden stock to help brace the contraption against the users shoulder.  The stock continued around the slotting mechanism to hold the Wand, and then further to the forestock to provide a handhold for the user and insulate them from the adamantium spike as it grew hot through repeated discharges.

Wands of Thunderbolts are quite long, at about 10".  They must be carried in a special leather satchel to protect them from the elements and prevent accidental discharges, and a new one must be slotted in to replace the previous wand between firings.  An open bolt holds the wand in place, and must be unlocked and slotted back for reloadings.  An experienced rifleman can fire six times a minute and carries with him 20 spare Wands of Thunderbolt.

The Lightning Rifle is largely mundane in nature, with the most magical aspects being the components that store the lightning and some dubious hymns engraved on the adamantium spike praying for accuracy.  As such, the lightning blast tends to be accurate out to Short Range, and invariably goes to ground before going beyond Medium Range.  By necessity, the modified Wands of Thunderbolt have slightly less power and result in a more humble explosion upon striking their target.  Initial tests suggest it could penetrate lightly armored crystal, but won't crack anything beyond a breastplate.  The Lightning Rifles are new and have a niche use, and will be deployed to squad commanders.  Expensive.

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 217