Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 183575 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - 914 Design Phase [Moskurg]
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2017, 02:38:28 am »

Could we develop a Create (or Summon) Air Elemental (or Air Mephit) spell?

Also, I vote for pragmatism. It's like being chivalrous, but we get to save some of our loyal, brave Moskurgians from horrible, gruesome fates at the hands of the Arstotskan fiends.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:40:20 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2017, 02:41:43 am »

Could we develop a Create (or Summon) Air Elemental (or Air Mephit) spell?

You should bring that up when we start the design phase next turn.  It'd be getting involved in conjuring, but so far we only have experience in divination and manipulation.

Although, I will admit that the thought of a massive air golem wrecking its way through enemy lines does sound appealing...

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2017, 02:43:41 am »

Ooh, thought here. What if we developed a divination spell that gave our enemies visions of horrible, gruesome, PTSD-inducing stuff, preferably on a mass scale and with them unable to see, hear, smell, etc. anything but the vision while it's ongoing.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2017, 02:44:36 am »

How about a spell that uses divinations and wind magic to make our missiles more accurate?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2017, 02:45:08 am »

We already have that, it's called lucky strike :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2017, 02:48:24 am »

Ooh, thought here. What if we developed a divination spell that gave our enemies visions of horrible, gruesome, PTSD-inducing stuff, preferably on a mass scale and with them unable to see, hear, smell, etc. anything but the vision while it's ongoing.

That sounds like something the Arstotzkan's would try.  I'd like to think Moskurg is more honorable than that.

How about a spell that uses divinations and wind magic to make our missiles more accurate?

Not a bad idea.  Like, an improved, long-range lucky strike that uses wind to carry the arrow further and more accurately?  Wizard-sniping seems to be popular these days.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2017, 03:14:30 am »

Not a bad idea.  Like, an improved, long-range lucky strike that uses wind to carry the arrow further and more accurately?  Wizard-sniping seems to be popular these days.
Lucky strike already gives us 66% accuracy. That's nothing to sneeze at.

For next turn, on the (fallacious) assumption that everything goes well this turn (Hey, maybe the Arstotzkans roll three 1s and develop nothing useful), I'm actually thinking we should do something to enhance our naval supremacy. Like, maybe design a ballista that can be mounted on the deck of a ship? That would also be useful in regular battles, to a lesser degree. Or we could develop weather magic, sinking enemy ships with storms before they even reach the battle.

Anyway, since I can't think of anything better to spend it on, I guess I'll vote for using our expense credit on cheaper Teletalk Wands. Like I said, I do like the idea of Teletalk relays.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2017, 04:58:39 am »

Hmm... What about arrows that detonate on impact releasing a shockwave which shatters wood and bone with equal ease?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2017, 05:15:59 am »

Cyclone Shield:  [5] You amp this spell on up!  Tightening the gusts and increasing their strength results in a shield that will significantly protect against all manner of threats, like a suit of armour.  This will now additionally protect your knights against assassination and interference.  It would probably need further revision to expand its coverage, however.  Note that whilst this protects your wizards and knights against assassination, you need a more active means to return to thought-scanning, whether that affects the spell(s) used or the thane or their bodyguards.

Teletalk Wands:  With the aid of Princess Sophia's wealth, you are able to afford to mass produce teletalk beacons on a more robust design.  They become plentiful and can be given to apprentices in each individual squad, with capable wizards having a beacon for each apprentice under their command.  This finally allows you to bring the co-ordination of Teletalk to the main battle, which should see distinct advantages for your tactics in future.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2017, 05:22:03 am »

I feel sorry for the Arstotzkans in the plains. They're gonna have horse archers up everywhere now :D

Oh yeah, what about the roll for recurve bow training Iituem. I thought that was gonna get rolled this turn too.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2017, 05:43:53 am »

Recurve Training: [3] Two years of training have successfully taken care of the worst offenders.  The bow is still dangerous to the more foolhardy and there is still grumbling here and there, but you are no longer breaking people's arms.  That's an upside.

Thanks for the reminder!
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2017, 05:51:03 am »

No problem. ^^

Shit's going to get REAL bad for arstotzka with that in mind since we're no longer having archers breaking their arms.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2017, 07:20:14 am »

Hey, that's good enough. It would be nice to be able to protect entire squads, but protecting our mages and commanders is fine too.
And the Teletalk wands mean we can expect large gains on the plains this year.
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2017, 07:55:51 am »

Forenia, 915

Harsh weather persists in the southern mountains, and hard fighting at the foothills remains confined to the border.  No major losses are reported, but neither are any territorial gains.  Moskurgers fail to take back any ground at the deadly Krozkan Pass beneath the castle promised to their now-Queen, but neither can the Arstotzkans push past the last line of border forts to reach the desert.  The Moskurgers seemed inspired, partially by their commitment to chivalry and honour, and partly by the presence of none other than the Sun Hammer himself, al-Mutriqa, who leads the defence.

The jungles see a slow push backwards for Arstotzka.  As before, neither side conclusively wins most skirmishes, but Moskurg manages to pull through in a few crucial battles and takes a vital fort on the way to the last major Arstotzkan encampment.  Further victory may well lead to Moskurger control over the jungle.

The cyclone shield is making a difference, and that difference is our wizards surviving long enough to cast lucky strike again.  Without constant wizard sniping, we have regained an advantage in ranged combat.  The shield will also protect against assassination of our leadership, but few deliberate attempts have been made there.  We still can't get close enough to read thoughts, though, since they can fireball us at that range, or pepper us with enough arrows to make no difference.

We captured a lot of soldiers during the raid on the Arstotzkan fort, so we relieved them of their arms, gave them basic medical treatment and marched them back off to the enemy.  It was a strange experience, and some soldiers grumble loudly that we are being foolish, but many of the men feel a quiet relief and security in the knowledge that we, at least, are honourable.  This advantage may well have been the reason we won.

In the plains, the Moskurg advantage is pressed home with heavy reinforcement.  Arstotzkan light troops are now essentially unable to compete in plains skirmishes, being eliminated with cold efficiency by horse archers and hidden Moskurger shortbowmen.  Groups of stragglers are wiped out by teams of a dozen squads, converging from seemingly random positions on isolated enemies.  Nowhere is this more deadly or apparent than in massed battle, where Moskurger light infantry move in terrifyingly co-ordinated formations, whilst archers and horse archers encircle, trap and flank with inhuman ability.  Moskurg wins every major engagement, pressing back against Arstotzkan troops until they reach the border forts, then taking those as well.

Moskurg holds the plains.  If they can hold them for another turn, they will achieve control.

Mass teletalk beacons are a dream.  They are an advantage we have been able to translate across the whole of our battlefield, enabling squad commanders and column commanders to coordinate without the long delays of runners or the necessarily simple messages of drummers and flag-bearers.

We captured most of Arstotzka's troops in the field and managed to return many that were safe to do so.  The Arstotzkans also ransomed a full army's worth of men, but about twice that were too wounded to repatriate and either died in the field or on the table.

At sea, the future remains muddy and uncertain.  In the eastern sea, Moskurger forces take back the portion of coast that the Arstotzkans took last year, sinking a number of haboured ships in the process.

No armies were lost this year on our side, though we did return two to the enemy.  With this in mind, the Sultan has reinforced the mountains and jungle.  We are now at maximum capacity, manpower wise.

Decision Time:  Arstotzka has adopted Pragmatism, Moskurg has adopted Chivalry.

Revision Credit:  A cultured scholar, Jibril Saadiya, has come to the isle of Forenia, having heard rumours of magic.  He claims to be a mystic and alchemist, and whilst you have doubts about that he certainly seems sharp and would be a welcome addition to your design team.  He appears to be a Saracen and consequently enjoys culture, entertainment and erudition.  The nation that is the most cultured, entertaining or erudite will attract this scholar and his keen mind.

It is 915, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 915 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moskurger Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moskurger Spells (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:01:13 am by Iituem »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2017, 08:10:18 am »

Dear god, what a slaughter.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 217