Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 186013 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - 916 [Moskurg]
« Reply #330 on: March 27, 2017, 11:23:40 am »

More I think about it, the more I feel that knowing enemy strategy will allow us to use our limited options to best effect. This is more useful than having another option to pick from.  I vote Long range mind reading

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 27, 2017, 11:26:38 am »

However, if that particular option is readily available and a good one there's less of an issue. Because at the moment we have hardly anything that can penetrate plate armour cost effectively.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 27, 2017, 11:29:23 am »

New idea, we don't make the ironclads, but give the enemy the impression that we are so they'll make their own. They would be pitifully easy to kill with the hammer.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 27, 2017, 11:30:33 am »

Well, it looks like Kashyyk and I are pretty thoroughly outvoted here.  Halberds it is.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:40:27 pm by evictedSaint »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 27, 2017, 12:03:39 pm »

Revision: Spears to Halberds.
The typical infantryman's spear is modified to include a hook at the crossguard and an small blade on the opposing side.  The leaf has been shrunk to a hardened spike about the length of a man's hand.  The spike allows the user to punch through armor plate with a single, powerful thrust, and the hook allows the user to grab hold of an armored individual to drag him to the ground.  The small blade is used for attacking unarmored sections of their opponent.

Order: Examine Armor for Weakness.
Examine armor from the Arstotzkan casualties from the last battle.  Look for weaknesses; disseminate findings to the troops.

Order: Hero Reposition.
Move al-Mutriqa to the desert sands.  The enemy is invading our homes; do not let them gain ground.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2017, 06:44:40 pm »

Halberds:   [1]  This... was not your most successful endeavour ever.  Your armourers got a little overzealous on proportions, made the hook too large and rounded to be effective and couldn't get behind the idea of a sharp spike or, for that matter, balancing the weapon properly in any way.  The new halberds prove utterly inferior to the standard spear, which the rank and file continue to use for now.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 27, 2017, 06:53:27 pm »

That is...disheartening.  I was hoping we'd get a bonus to the roll, but I guess it was enough of a change to warrant a flat roll.

Let's hope Arstotzka fumbled their extra revision, too - otherwise we're in for a bad time.  Looks like the Hammer is going to be doing all the heavy lifting this turn...

@Iituem: How did our order go?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:55:16 pm by evictedSaint »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 29, 2017, 11:17:17 am »

Forenia, 917

The Moskurger attempted invasion of Arstotzka's taiga, much like the Arstotzkan invasion of Moskurg's desert, is a complete failure.  Both sides have the armies they send into the respective territories completely rebuffed.  Both the King of Arstotzka and the Sultan of Moskurg decide to pull forces back to their borders until they feel they have a strong enough advantage to push on with enough forces.  The heat and wide open spaces of the desert strongly favour Moskurg, whilst the cold and dense forest of the taiga strongly favour Arstotzka.  Neither can muster sufficient forces to try and push past those advantages for now.

Both sides have drawn back to the plains and mountains respectively.  They will await an order from the design team before they make an advance into the enemy core territory.

The jungle proves indecisive.  With the fanatic fervour of Arstotzka having died down since the prior year, Moskurg has a better showing, but although they seem to have a definite edge in skirmishes, Arstotzka proves themselves highly capable in full battle, with many of their wizards now launching fully-fledged fireballs that explode upon contact with troops, unlike the weaker cousins they have used up until now.  Worse still, their knights charge into battle on horseback wielding lances constructed of some sort of glistening violet crystal that, unlike what one might expect, neither bend nor shatter upon impact.  They are devastating, but during the battle, amidst the pouring rain, lightning strikes begin to fall down upon the Arstotzkan forces, more or less at random but with a bias towards more armoured troops.  The melee would go in Arstotzka's favour but for Moskurg skirmishers thinning their forces before battle is joined.  As it is, Moskurg gains a small amount of ground.

Combat at sea remains a stalemate, with coastal gains returning both seas to parity.

We lost the troops we sent to the taiga, but resupply covers their replenishment, with an extra army sent to the jungle to gain advantage.

It is 917, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 917 (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 29, 2017, 11:42:13 am »

We have a month to decide on the perfect plan. In my opinion, we have three choices for what to work on this turn:

Targeted Lightning - The logical next step from random lightning bombardment

Long-range Mind Reading - To start winning the intelligence war again

Anti-Armour weaponry - General stance is towards two-handed weapons, as our bucklers just get strapped to the forearm, leaving the hand free

The only one here that is new is the Anti-Armour, but it feels weird to design a weapon and revise a magic in a magical game.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 29, 2017, 01:48:19 pm »

Why not Expand upon our mindreading in a more Destructive direction?

Mind Rend - A slightly more specialized form of Mind reading with a significantly shorter range, Designed not to Simply read thoughts, But to tear apart minds for information on various things known to the person whom is being broken, this spell is meant to be used to steal the secrets of the spells only our opponents know.

or perhaps

Dementia - A mildly inverted form of Mind reading meant to broadcast the surface thoughts and emotions of a mage to all those in one direction or another, With enough exposure those exposed will surely go mad.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 29, 2017, 02:18:23 pm »

Nope, I still want to go for

Horse Breeding: The plains, always ours de jure, are now ours de facto. And with them comes the grazing grounds we need to step up our horse-breeding programs. By expanding our herds many times over, we sharply reduce the cost of providing horses to the army, allowing us to field significantly more cavalry.
We should continue to focus our breeding efforts on quick, agile horses, well suited to the roll of horse-archers or hit-and-run cavalry.

Then we use our revision to develop

Lances: By modifying the humble spear, making it longer and pointier, we create a weapon that can only effectively be used from horseback- a mechanism by which the entire force of a charging horse can be focused on a single point. By outfitting our (hopefully more plentiful) cavalry with these weapons, we give them potent armour-piercing capabilities.

We may even be able to get a bonus to developing lances, since the enemy has also created them, and we can just crib most of the design off of captured equipment.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 29, 2017, 02:30:47 pm »

We should fix the halberds to deal with their charges, or just lengthen our spears into proper pikes.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 29, 2017, 02:36:34 pm »

I don't understand why our wind/weather magic has made no impact on the oceanic front. Could someone explain that to me? I feel like we should be able to propel our ships better, and therefor gain an advantage, as well as blowing their ships off course, making the seas rougher for them, and that kind of thing.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2017, 02:40:39 pm »

We should fix the halberds to deal with their charges, or just lengthen our spears into proper pikes.
If we have more cavalry, we won't be so concerned that our infantry is not up to snuff. I mean, you hardly ever hear about the Hun's terrifying footsoldiers, but that didn't stop them, did it?

I don't understand why our wind/weather magic has made no impact on the oceanic front. Could someone explain that to me? I feel like we should be able to propel our ships better, and therefor gain an advantage, as well as blowing their ships off course, making the seas rougher for them, and that kind of thing.
Yeah, that's somewhat disappointing. I'm guessing its because we didn't specifically design it for that purpose, that Iituem didn't want to let us kill two birds with one stone- but isn't coming up with clever ideas like that the name of the game?

Also, we should redeploy al-Mutriqa (again). Arstotzka probably won't invade the desert this year, just like we won't invade the taiga. I think we can safely move him to the jungle;

Order: Redeploy al-Mutriqa to the jungle
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2017, 04:02:41 pm »

Horse Breeding: The plains, always ours de jure, are now ours de facto. And with them comes the grazing grounds we need to step up our horse-breeding programs. By expanding our herds many times over, we sharply reduce the cost of providing horses to the army, allowing us to field significantly more cavalry.
We should continue to focus our breeding efforts on quick, agile horses, well suited to the roll of horse-archers or hit-and-run cavalry.
I forgot about this. +1
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 217