Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 186451 times)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #360 on: March 30, 2017, 08:39:14 pm »

Flawless! Except for that one flaw! But apart from that, flawless!
Sigged

Now, to take advantage of our plentiful cavalry, we need to develop

Lances: By modifying the humble spear, making it longer and pointier, we create a weapon that can only effectively be used from horseback- a mechanism by which the entire force of a charging horse can be focused on a single point. By outfitting our plentiful cavalry with these weapons, we give them potent armour-piercing capabilities.

We can use captured Arstotzkan equipment to help us design these. The magical crystals they put on the end, we may need to leave out. But the basic design we can hopefully copy.
Are you sure as shouldn't revise the halberds?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 30, 2017, 08:43:43 pm »

Seeing as we don't intend for them to ever enter the desert, I think that's perfectly acceptable.

As we've gone for the horses, it's only appropriate to revise lances now.

Another thought: Instead of designing a protection from fire spell, which people have suggested would be difficult to perfect, how about just Counter spell? See a spell, blast it with anti-magic and watch it disappear. Should clear away their flame walls and possibly be of use against long range fireballs too.

Both ideas are excellent. I thought about wards for protection against their fireballs.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 30, 2017, 11:00:46 pm »

Alright guys, I think I have the plans for what might change the entire war:

Unicorns: Strap/fuse/glue spears to the heads of our horses, then breed them. The offspring should be born with horns, and thus be unicorns. Not only does this save us money because we won't have to make lances, but, as everyone knows, unicorns have healing powers, making them excellent combat medics.

EDIT: Why isn't my coloring working? The above should be blue, which means that it's a joke.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 31, 2017, 01:48:13 am »

Are you sure as shouldn't revise the halberds?
Normal cost means we can field 5-10x more cavalry. Probably not 10x, that would be insane. But still, we will be fielding huge amounts. The weakness of our infantry will thus be of lesser concern (though if we had 2 revisions I would consider doing both). So as you can't really use a halberd from horseback, I think lances are more important.

Alright guys, I think I have the plans for what might change the entire war:

Unicorns: Strap/fuse/glue spears to the heads of our horses, then breed them. The offspring should be born with horns, and thus be unicorns. Not only does this save us money because we won't have to make lances, but, as everyone knows, unicorns have healing powers, making them excellent combat medics.

EDIT: Why isn't my coloring working? The above should be blue, which means that it's a joke.
We have no experience with biological modification magic, and even if we did, unicorns would probably become Expensive again, making our horse breeding program pointless.
Other than that, it is worth considering as a serious idea. Maybe one to keep in our back pocket.

Another thought: Instead of designing a protection from fire spell, which people have suggested would be difficult to perfect, how about just Counter spell? See a spell, blast it with anti-magic and watch it disappear. Should clear away their flame walls and possibly be of use against long range fireballs too.
I advocated for taking the Wand of Dispel Magic at the start- but now developing a counterspell would involve delving into a new sphere of magic, with all associated penalties. Which is still worth considering, as counterspells are the most powerful spells in existence. It would probably require 2 designs and a few revisions to get an all-purpose counterspell, though (and even then it would probably be either Very Expensive or have a 50% chance of fizzling, and only able to target normal-cost spells). Maybe if we get a design/revision credit again.
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 31, 2017, 09:24:39 am »

Revision: Lances [3]

Using our standard infantry spear as a base, we have managed to construct a lance heavy and durable enough to turn our calvary from skirmish troops to main-line battle troops.  Dense hardwood capped with a metal tip makes it  too heavy and unweildy for anything other than a charge, and after spearing a man through the chest they have a nasty habit of splintering into useless firewood.  Still, they're good for a single charge, and once in the fray our unarmored calvary can begin lashing out with their sabers.

Combat Phase Later Tonight

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 31, 2017, 11:14:29 am »

Seeing as the main point of a lance (hur hur) is for the charge,  that isn't too terrible. Hopefully we'll have enough spare they can resupply between charges in a battle.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 31, 2017, 12:28:27 pm »

Not to shoot ourselves in the foot, but I believe sabres are Expensive- we can't afford to equip all of our cavalry with them. Unfortunately for many of them a spear will be their secondary weapon.
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 31, 2017, 01:26:51 pm »

sabres are Expensive- we can't afford to equip all of our cavalry with them

Ah, right - thanks Nuke.  Considering I'm not the original GM, I appreciate the reminder. 

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 31, 2017, 01:34:21 pm »

I think our cavalry is now limited by the number of sabres vs compound bows we can provide, rather horses and lances at least.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 31, 2017, 01:38:46 pm »

And I'm pretty sure compound bows are cheap too.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 31, 2017, 02:16:49 pm »

Recurve bows are normal cost - the limiting factor on your horse archers were the actual horses.

Squad commanders will carry sabers, and other mounted soldiers will have a standard infantry spear as a backup.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 31, 2017, 05:17:52 pm »

I think we need to make some kind of heavy weapon. Next turn's design phase, we should make a ballista.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 31, 2017, 05:45:25 pm »

Or we could modify the hammer of Allah to be targeted, causing more damage at a higher range with a revision, without taking penalties for complex mechanical engineering we haven't touched before.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 31, 2017, 05:56:27 pm »

True. We could also attach a metal wire to two arrows and fire one into the enemies and the other up to use as a makeshift lightning rod for the Hammer.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 01, 2017, 12:32:50 am »

Having had time to settle into the mountains, defense of the gray peaks has become a rather familiar task for the troops stationed there.  The peaks are utterly obscured in clouds, and though our Gust of Wind can dispel them for a time, they return with an annoying frequency.  A little bit of fog wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the arrows cascading down through the cover.  Our troops use what cover they can as they approach, but ultimately we're forced to turn back.  Our horses, at home in the desert sands and plains to the east, can't find purchase on the rocky terrain.  Even our storms seem more inclined to strike the lofty peaks than they are to bite at enemy troops.  The battle is short, unfortunate, and uninspiring.  They will hold the mountains another year, and likely for many years to come so long as we fail to gain a foothold.

Arstotzka easily maintains control of the Mountains.

The plains...however. 

The plains are a different story.

Calvary, the heavy artillery of the medieval era, were once limited to minor nobles and knights.  Restricted to critical battles and the relatively less-risky skirmishes that preceded them, most combats have consisted of boots on the ground slugging it out.  This is no longer the case for Moskurg, however; our horses, once only used for skirmishes, are now seeing use in pitched combat.  Though lightly armored, entire divisions of the troops have crashed into the slow, heavily armored troops that make up Arstotzkan battle lines over and over again.  Horsemen charge in, snap their lances off in the chests of Arstotzkan troops, then resort to lashing out with sword and spear.  Arstotzka is pitiful in every engagement, and are easily crushed each and every time.  Those who aren't run down quickly surrender, and once relieved of their armor and weapons are immediately handed back.  Some men point out that we can never hope to win if we never kill our enemy, but many seem relieved to know fighting for ones country isn't a death sentence.

Though our cavalry isn't quite as good as Arstotzka's, we outnumber them so soundly it doesn't even matter.  Horses leap through walls of flames, and though a few brave souls tumble from their saddles wreathed in fire the rest charge through their ranks like demons.  Our horses chase them all the way to the border, stopping just shy of Arstotzkan home soil.

Moskurg has maintained control of the plains.

The oceans are locked in stalemate, as usual.  Though we are turned away more often than not, Arstotzkan sailors can't press our advantage.  Their ships are too slow, and it's easy for our boats to remain just out of range.  Both sides have some minor success, but no progress is made one way or anther.

The Seas remain deadlocked.

It is 917, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 916 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moskurger Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moskurger Spells (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 217