Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 186738 times)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #390 on: April 01, 2017, 05:34:34 pm »

Damn that's shitty
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 01, 2017, 05:59:45 pm »

I vote for fixing the Spear of Allah, to make sure it strikes only what we wish it to. This will be very powerful once fixed, so there's no point leaving half-assed and basically wasted.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:15:28 pm by Kashyyk »

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 01, 2017, 07:09:14 pm »

+1 to naval weather mages.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 02, 2017, 09:18:42 am »

PTW and to commit to a side. I feel like we're solid on land currently so if we spend a revision to make them need to panic about a different theatre then that might help stretch them out.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 02, 2017, 10:35:03 am »

That's where the Naval Weather Mages come in.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 02, 2017, 01:12:52 pm »

PTW and to commit to a side. I feel like we're solid on land currently so if we spend a revision to make them need to panic about a different theatre then that might help stretch them out.
So that's a vote for Naval Weather Mages, I take it?

I vote for fixing the Spear of Allah, to make sure it strikes only what we wish it to. This will be very powerful once fixed, so there's no point leaving half-assed and basically wasted.
I honestly reckon it would be about as powerful as NWM. What tips it to the navy for me is the as-yet undeveloped nature of naval warfare. By spending this one revision, we can take a solid lead in several theatres at once- which as some idiot points out, will force them to either concede the seas (foolish) or spend a design or two developing new naval tech.

Speaking of naval warfare, I was reading the rules- it says something about ships needing friendly bays to moor in during storms, so now that Arstotzka controls no bays in the plains, their ships should be at the very least less capable of operating in the east. It isn't 100% clear whether they are totally incapable of contesting the east, but a combat penalty seems appropriate.
Long Live United Forenia!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 02, 2017, 02:18:36 pm »

+1 to naval mages
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 02, 2017, 05:10:16 pm »

Revision: Naval Weather Mages [5]
The violent weather off the coast of Forenia has long been the bane of sailors, and the sudden ability to tame mother nature is more than any seadog could have hoped for.  Ominous storm clouds disappear with little more than a wave and a murmur from the robed figure on board, and the sails are never empty of wind.  This has been the advantage our sailors have been waiting for since the day magic was discovered.

Our mages are...less happy.  Apparently spending all day inside studying magic is the polar opposite of having sea legs, and sea sickness has run rampant through whichever wizards we can trick into climbing aboard the wooden deathtraps.  A few seem surprisingly adapt at sea-travel, but most are reluctant to leave dry ground (though they will, if their Sultan commands).  In one rare case, a mage who refused to stop making sea-related puns was thrown overboard and drowned.  Casting from the deck of a bobbing ship requires a few minor changes from casting on dry land - spell circles are drawn with water-proof grease rather than chalk, and wands are kept dry in oiled bags, but on the whole the process is the same.  Magic has finally found its way into the ocean - Arstotzkan sailors should be in for a nasty surprise.

Combat Phase to begin shortly.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 05:40:48 pm by evictedSaint »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 02, 2017, 05:34:47 pm »

Good, good.

I think the Arstotzkans are in rough waters now. Things will rapid-ly go downhill for them. Whereas for us it'll be plain sailing.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 02, 2017, 05:35:29 pm »

...I dare you to make those same puns at their sailors from the bow of a ship :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 02, 2017, 05:41:34 pm »

I modified the revision slightly to better reflect the relationship between the mages and the sailors.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 02, 2017, 07:25:11 pm »

The Spear of Allah goes relatively unused this year, as all but the most foolhardy mages are too nervous to draw the ire of the storm on themselves.  Only a couple dare to try it, one managing to successfully call down a bolt onto an enemy commander sitting atop his horse.  The other, unfortunately, manages to fry himself after trying to reign in a too-powerful blast.  No other wizard attempts the spell afterwards.

The lack of a concrete advantage this turn means our assault on the mountains is turned away with laughable ease.  Commanders only send a few forays into the stony heights before pulling back.  The men who return are weary, and sick of their failed attempts to take back the castles that dot the landscape high above.  Things continue to remain unchanged in the mountains, but at least the Arstotzkans seem content to stay there rather than march onto our home sand.

Arstotzka maintains control of the Mountains.

The plains are our forte, however.  Our highly maneuverable and plentiful calvary excel in the wide-open spaces.  Oddly enough, though, our skirmishes have become less effective - our horses have begun tripping in the dark as they harass enemy positions.  It's as though the grass itself was stabbing at their hooves.  Though our skirmishes have been less successful, our defense of the plains has been as solid as ever.  Coordinated assaults, precisely timed calvary charges, and a withering hail of arrows has kept the enemy at bay for yet another year.  Oddly, though, our men have noticed Arstotzkan apprentices have begun appearing in melee combat.  They aren't very resistant to arrows, but they do spout mist - typically only seen in skirmishes.

Regardless of the northerner's throwing their valuable apprentices into combat, we turn them away once more back into the cold forests from whence they came.

Moskurg maintains control of the plains.

The fighting in the jungle has ground to a halt.  Even with Myark gone, combat has remained as viscious as ever.  We've been failing skirmish after skirmish as our horses stumble during assaults - of every skirmish we attempted, only one was successful.  Everyone suspects Arstotzkan trickery, but noone is quite sure what the nature of it is.  Our assaults during the day suffer without the success of our nightly skirmishes, and we are forced to retreat as heavily armored Arstotzkans fight at full force.  Even our calvary can't help - the dense jungle makes things tricky to begin with, and every time an Arstotzkan apprentice does a hand signal that doesn't result in fog another one of our horses trip.  Our horse riders claim the two are related, but it's difficult to separate coincidence from correlation in the dense, rainy jungle.

The bright side is that the Arstotzkan's are piss-poor at skirmishing to begin with.  Their skirmishes uniformly result in failure, and their assaults never make it far.  They too are forced to retreat rather than press any of their assaults.  Neither side manages to gain prisoners this year, as combat seems limited to probing assaults and failed nightly raids.

Neither side gains ground in the jungle.

The combat at sea isn't as drastic as we would have liked, but a change is very noticeable.  Weather magic makes life at sea more tolerable, which is nice, and gives us a wind advantage in combat, which is even nicer.  It's difficult to use wind against Arstotzkan ships as they use rows for locomotion, but our increased speed and the ability to make the seas roil or calm at our command gives us a definite edge.  We sink two of their fleets in the western sea, scoop up the sailors, and return them back to dry land.  In the eastern sea we lose a fleet in an ambush, but those filthy Arstotzkans seemed content to let them drown.  There's a sense of justice as we push up the western coast, securing one more section of the coast.

Moskurg gains territory in the Western Sea.

We've had few casualties this year - most of which came from the sea as the combat there increased in intensity.  With our land forces still at full capacity, our Sultan orders more boats constructed for naval combat.

It is 918, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 918 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moskurger Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moskurger Spells (click to show/hide)

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 02, 2017, 09:42:51 pm »

For our design phase, I suggest we go for jungle combat. We need camouflage, better mind reading (not the farther suggestion), or aerial advantages.

The way I see it, we would probably do a lot better if we could have them not see individuals in the calmed storm around our troops. For this I suggest camouflage. Either so.ething to do with leaves or mud, or something that bends the light around so that the Arstotzkan​s can't see our soldiers.

We could also do better mind reading, so we can get to the bottom of this hoopla with the tripping of our horses. It doesn't need longer range, but it does need to be cheaper.

Kite Sailsmen could be a really good advantage. They can report enemy positions wherever they happen to be with clear line of sight. Any number of things.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 02, 2017, 10:06:39 pm »

That went well.

I think we should roll out some firepower

Crossbows: nuff said

Glory to United Forenia!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 02, 2017, 11:07:13 pm »

Alright, I'm done with this jungle #$%^.

Order: Terraforming: Our weather mages will cause large droughts, then soldiers will light large sections of the rainforest on fire. Hopefully, this will result in large plains of ash and withered plants. This will keep the Arstotskans from using their plant magic, while enabling us to use our plains tactics in the areas that were formerly jungle. They might be able to repel/control the fires with their fire magic, but by the time they can get their act/research together, it'll be too late.

Also, has anyone considered outfitted our footsoldiers with pickaxes? We can mine stuff, so we should have access to the designs for some.

+1 on the longer range mind-reading.

Also...

Order: Bribery:
"Recruit" some Arstotskan mages (some of whom might be easier to persuade due to our policy of Chivalry) so that they can share the secrets of Arstotska's tech and magic with us. Trust them only as far as we can throw, them, though- the Arstotskans might try to send us misinformation.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 217