Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 186505 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #510 on: April 07, 2017, 12:16:00 pm »

Eager for the war to finally reach its conclusion, the Sultan has offered to dip into his private treasury to give us an extra Expense Credit this year.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 07, 2017, 01:20:11 pm »

Well, since we apparently can't use our expense credit on ships, I say we either save it, or use it on storm strike. Given the choices, I say we save it
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 07, 2017, 01:25:39 pm »

You can use the expense credits on ships.  You can also use it on armor.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 07, 2017, 01:29:19 pm »

Oh.

Well in that case I vote to use it on our ships. Maval supremacy, here we come!
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 07, 2017, 01:54:32 pm »

I think we're doing fine for naval warfare. They haven't done a single thing to improve their ships and we spent an turn making nautical wizards.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 07, 2017, 01:57:35 pm »

Exactly. They haven't done anything to improve their ships. If we do this, I almost guarantee we take the seas within two years

Glory to United Forenia!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 07, 2017, 06:16:22 pm »

Let's hold the Expensive Credit Back.

Using it on the ships is somewhat tempting, but I'd prefer to do more naval research next turn and then do it if we want naval dominance.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 07, 2017, 09:53:09 pm »

They have their Hero Mage in the seas right now, so boosting ships won't help as much as you might think.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 07, 2017, 11:10:48 pm »

Hold the credit back for now.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 08, 2017, 01:28:00 pm »

Order: Withhold Expense Credit.

Order: Concede the mountains to the Arstotzkans.  Redirect troops to the jungle.

Order: al-Mutriqa to the jungles.

Anything else I'm missing before I do the combat phase?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 08, 2017, 02:35:33 pm »

I think that's everything.

Let the Arstotzkans tremble before our newly developed... oh, wait, we didn't develop anything this turn.
Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fine. Next year, though! Battlefield anti-magic! They won't know what hit them!
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 08, 2017, 04:50:25 pm »

Moskurg soldiers will never admit it, but they are secretly relieved at the decision to pull back from the mountains.  Arstotzkan castles loom high on the peaks, but for once no arrows rain down from them.  High above, tiny red soldiers shuffle about and a tall, ivory tower slowly joins the stoneworks.

No battles occur in the mountains.

Likewise, the plains finally go a year without bloodshed.  Moskurg forts dot the border that separate the plains from the tangia, but for once no arrows rain down from their parapets.  The skies remain clear, and all storms that blow across the land are completely natural in nature.

No battles occur in the plains.

The relative quiet is made up for in the jungle.  Both sides engage in viscous skirmishes, assaulting one another in the dark and rain.  Arstotzka has a single successful skirmish, but we seem to have more luck at home as we are in the heat. Our apprentices still have no trouble inducing zen in their guards at night, but our attempt to gain their battle plans for the next day were foiled as the alarm was raised by a loud, girly scream that night.  The next attempt was equally fruitless, but after that we resorted to opening holes for ambushes instead.  It weakened their troops, but we can't get into their commanders minds any more. 

Our Commanders sincerely hope that whatever super weapon the design team is coming up with will be worth going a year without any new toys to level the playing field - battles in the jungle have become more even as a result of the shifting power, and the viscous fighting never seems to result in a clear winner.   Arstotzkan heavy calvary is now plentiful enough for frequent use, and they make an appearance in the jungle.  They aren't as agile as Moskurg horses, but when they hit they do so with devastating effect.  Their effect isn't as pronounced in the jungle as they would be in the plains, but they do make a significant difference.  The bulk of troops we've brought up into the territory certainly help, but we just...need something to help make that last, final push.  The jungle is almost ours, but we just. Can't. Secure it.

Neither side gains ground in the jungle.

There is some shock among our men as Arstotzka comes marching down the mountains this year, soiling our sacred sands with their dirty boots.  The unexpected push results in some lack-luster performance by our skirmishers, but our zealous troops push the invaders out with two quick, successful battles.  Their tower of Frost looming in the mountains chills the surrounding area so their men don't cook in their steel suits, but the shifting sands make travel difficult for them and their heavy horsemen.  They flee back to their rocks before we can inflict lasting damages, but now they know the dedication our men will show to holding their homes.

Moskurg repels Arstotzka from the desert.

Equally shocking is the lack of ships on the eastern seas.  Arstotzka completely pulls out of the theater, and we take two more sections of coastline and cement our control of the area.

The mystery of where their ships went is solved promptly.  The ocean is filled with Arstotzkan boats on the west coast.  Our ships keep their distance, frustrating Arstotzkan boarders.  They run us out of two battles, but we surprise them by ramming one of their ships and sending it to the depths in a surprise assault.  It's the only win we have and the only concrete loss either side experiences in the area, but there's so many of them it hardly makes a difference.

Neither side makes coastal gains in the jungle.  Moskurg cements control of the Eastern Sea.

Our biggest problem seems to be both our difficulty gain prisoners during a route and our tendency to freely give back them back when we do.  It's impossible to gain ground when their ranks swell back to full strength after each and every fruitless battle.  Returning troops wouldn't be such a big deal if we could get more of them during each route, but at the moment both sides are fighting at full capacity - and have been for the past few years.

It is 921, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 921 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moskurger Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moskurger Spells (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:16:53 pm by evictedSaint »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 08, 2017, 05:18:14 pm »

Mindwashing: by Exposing Arstotzkan troops to Foreign Thoughts in a similar manner to our Zen mindreading (only we aren't quieting them specifically) Repeatedly, we shall Program their troops to Respond Traitorously when Exposed to Specific Code words, Examples being "Arstotzkan Commanders Have no Souls" and "For the Blood of Moskurg Is STRONGER".

Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 08, 2017, 05:21:11 pm »

Fools! Fools, I tells you. By conceding the eastern seas, they open up their home waters to assault! Let no ship flying the Arstotzkan flag travel unharassed.

Anyway, time for some counterspells. Though let's not get too ambitious. My vote is for

Tubikh Rrahim (AKA Merciful Rebuke, AKA Weaken Magic): After a wizard has spent a month in solitary confinement, studying the sacred texts, and meditating on the nature of magic, he is finally ready to perform this holiest of spells. Invoking nine names of the most merciful god, blasphemous magics are weakened in the targeted area. As the sacred light descends upon them, enemy mages will find their fireballs weak and feeble, their summoned weapons dull and brittle, their mists sparse and translucent.
Tubikh Rrahim is expected to be Very Expensive, and reduce the effectiveness of most enemy spells. It may also weaken our own, but hopefully we can target areas with sufficient accuracy that our own mages are not unduly affected.

In other news, it's a damn good thing we didn't invade the mountains. By the sounds of things, they've set up their frost tower (which is clearly a National Effort) in the mountains this year. I dread to think what the mountains would be like if they were even colder than usual.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 08, 2017, 05:51:02 pm »

I approve of anti-magic, but allow me to offer an alternative;:

Anti magic amulet - A holy symbol,  blessed and anointed by an imam before being enchanted using our knowledge of the Holy Scripture. This item will counter any spell targeted at or near the bearer. This will probably apply to our own magic too, but that's something we can fix later.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 217