Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 186415 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #780 on: April 24, 2017, 03:31:05 pm »

Sounds intriguing, though I am not even sure if there were any mentions of such beasts in this world.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 24, 2017, 03:36:46 pm »

Which is why I have a backup, in case my original plan gets banned.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 24, 2017, 04:00:40 pm »

Still I feel that the wind barriers might be important. Again this is to counter their powerful equipment and their spells. I think if we get even with them in terms of defense we can go to test more offensive designs.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 24, 2017, 04:03:26 pm »

Fair point.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 24, 2017, 04:21:00 pm »

After that is said, I wanna tell you I like the idea very much, a rust monster army would be terrifying to their army.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 24, 2017, 04:23:44 pm »

For revisions,  I was thinking of creating rust wind, by modifying our existing gust spells, after we iron out the Lamellar, of  course. I'll try and work on a way to bring down the tower.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 24, 2017, 04:28:33 pm »

We'll want earthquakes or volcanoes to distrupt the arstotzkan hold on the mountains.

...Volcanos sound better, we'll 'warm them up' with one :D
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 24, 2017, 04:34:57 pm »

I think we should go back to a design someone proposed a while back: Ballista. Adds some extra range for our ships and on land.  Also makes it super easy to fire staves of Tubikh Rrahim at enemy casters.  If we miss that's some magic negated. If we hit that's some magic negated forever.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 24, 2017, 06:47:30 pm »

Combat for 924

After Arstotzka's push from last year, they've managed to maintain their momentum, despite our best efforts.

Skirmishes see Moskurg deploying a new, deadly weapon this year - arrows, with their metal tips filed down to a needle point.  Once again their caltrops do nothing to stop us as we charge into their camp in the dead of night, the lead rider holding aloft an ivory staff that snuffs out magic all around it.  Our horse archers use our new arrows to deadly effect; at nearly point blank range, the dreaded needle arrows punch through steel plate to dig into flesh beneath.

Well.  At least, some of them do.  The arrows have a tendency to crumple if they hit a particularly thick section of armor, and when they do penetrate they're not always lethal.  Still, they dig into the flesh beneath the steel when they do punch through, wounding men in armor.  The narrow arrows do less damage to unarmored men than regular arrows, but their soldiers aren't happy to have over-sized sewing needles shot into their midst.  Despite being less lethal than Arstotzkan ashwood arrows, this frightening new weapon causes discontent amongst their men.

Their skirmishes go equally well, unfortunately - our men still aren't used to the cold weather Arstotzka has foisted upon them, and time and time again they let their guard down.  They punish us severely for it, riding in with their plentiful heavy calvary and laying about where they can.  Their foot archers creep into range before sniping into our encampments, and before we can organize a counter attack they're gone.  Skirmishes are more or less even this year, with neither side doing more damage than the other.

The melee's have increased in lethality, however.  Moskurg needle arrows tend to dig into Arstotzka wooden shields at medium range, and at close range they can cause superficial wounds that hamper their mens fighting capabilities.  Of course, at all ranges our arrows tend to find their way into eyeslits and armor gaps thanks to lucky strike.  Arstotzkan arrows return the favor when they can find their way through the wind and rain, punching through our thin  Lamellar Armor.  Our inexperience with armor crafting shows.  Despite outfitting each man in a coat, the armor us frequently rusted and too thin to stop longbow arrows inside of long range.  It's not particularly adept at melee combat, either - a single blow will tear it to shreds, causing the threads to snap and leaving the soldier open for a second attack.  Even though it's utterly, utterly inferior to Arstotzkan armor, it does give our men more flexibility and buys them a few extra seconds of life.

A frightening new development has occurred; our wizards, already prime targets for Arstotzkan archers, are being cut down with alarming frequency.  Our mages cloak themselves in whirling cyclones of wind when not casting, but they must eventually drop their shield to cast their lightning and lucky strike.  When they do, they are quickly shot down - with the ruthless efficiency of trained killers.  Without al-Mutriqa to pick up the slack, we are pushed back another section in the jungle.  Those who surrender to Arstotzka are brutally, mercilessly executed in plain view.

Things do not go well for Moskurg.

The Theatre Commander is haggard from lack of sleep.  He stays up at night, pouring over battle plans to give our men some advantage over the enemy.  He urges you to fix the problems with the Lamellar Armor, as it's not doing enough to keep our men alive.  He also asks if there's any way you can improve the bodkin arrows - they're a much needed weapon, but their inconsistency is hampering our ability to fight at long range. 

But - and perhaps most importantly of all - you must do something about our mages getting snipped before they can cast.  He doesn't care how you do it, or what the cost is.  We cannot win this war if we lose continue to lose them.

Arstotzka gains ground in the jungle.

With no new advancements to be used on the seas, neither side makes advancements here.

The Theatre Commander points out that he could deploy troops behind enemy lines, if he could disperse the enemy fleet.  Better coordination, or a better offensive weapon would give us the edge we need on the high seas.

Neither side makes coastal gains in the Western Sea.

Revision Credit Results:  
Moskurg: 2 reports + (1d4 = 1) = 3
Arstotzka: 3 reports + (1d4 = 1) = 4

Arstotzka has compiled a more thorough report of the incident regarding al-Mutriqa and Myark, and gains a revision credit for this coming year.

Spoiler: Devastator's Report (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NUKE9.13's Report (click to show/hide)

It is 925, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 925 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Moskurger Spells (click to show/hide)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 24, 2017, 06:59:27 pm »

Ok, Order : Make a dedicated unit of Wizard Bodyguards.

Also I highly suggest we upgrade Cyclone Shield this turn so it's not a sustained spell, but a proper enchantment.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 24, 2017, 06:59:31 pm »

Well, crap. Revision wise, Lamellar is our highest priority. Can we use a design phase to improve what we already have? You know what? Screw chivalry, I've got a design idea.

The Winds of the Wastes:  By  modifying our gust of wind  spell, we  can create effectivly, an ecological  WMD.   The elementally charged winds will reduce the jungle to a flat desert wasteland( perfect for our soldiers) .  Furthermore,  anything the wind comes into contact with will be broken down to their base magical elements, which is then transmuted into sand and local  predators. In short, we can form  a  swath of desert, nullyfing whatever  advantage they might have. In their  plate armor, without knowledge of any  sources of water, our troops can let the elements do their work.
Order. Remove as many soldiers  as we can from the jungle. If any brave Martyrs seek to stay behind, than so be it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:21:53 pm by Mardent23 »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 24, 2017, 07:12:51 pm »

Ok, Order : Make a dedicated unit of Wizard Bodyguards.

The organization, equipment, and training that would go into this would require it to be a design to be successful, although if you roll well during the order I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  Reminder: failed orders tend to backfire, such as when Arstotzka gave Moskurg Brave Maealij Albarq, the Martyr.

Can we use a design phase to improve what we already have?

Yes, it is possible to do that, although I'd advise being bold with the revision you make.  Design phases are more powerful than revision phases, and in general more useful in designing new things.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 24, 2017, 07:22:13 pm »

+1 to the Winds of  the Wastes.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 24, 2017, 08:24:15 pm »

Is  anyone else going to vote?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 24, 2017, 08:34:48 pm »

I don't think we can manage a widescale ecological spell, as they already have one operating in this theatre.  At best we might cancel it out, which would definately help us, but not win it single handedly.

I'm also against making our antimagic selective, for a couple of reasons.  We're trying to fix a very good spell already, which is hard, but more importantly, we don't have any danger-close spells for which we need our antimagic to be down to cast.  All our spells operate at a distance.  Secondly, we have wand magic, so we can probably cast any theoretical danger close spells quickly, which means we don't need much time to cast them, so we could, say, have antimagic go down, a bunch of guys with lightning wands jump out, blast away, and have antimagic go right back up quickly.

What I do think we have is a great opportunity.  There are a lot of ways to counter their assassin squads or whatever they're attacking us with.  Here's a couple that come to mind:

Pavise Shields:  If a guy with a big shield jumps out when the gales go down, we block the shots quite well.  And it would be useful for covering our own foot archers, or approaching positions in the mountains.  Might be revision capable, but a design should work well enough.

Revised Gale shield, to go on a wand, so we could keep the spell going while the mage readies the next spell.  That should work fine, barring a 1.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:40:27 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 217