Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 186757 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1200 on: April 29, 2017, 10:38:29 pm »

All Desert-Horse Cavalry (Predominantly archers, but with enough lancers to make a decent charge) and their officers, a small force of ballistae, and one mage per ballista---lucky strike capable. Ships, if necessary for transport, pulled from the Eastern Sea.
---------All in favor: (2) Madman198237, Crazyabe
-------------------------------------------------
If you want to vote on my original thought, then here:

4 al-Mutriq's guards (Black Phantasms, I believe)
2 Mages and their apprentices
Three ships, with one ship armed with a ballista that can be dismounted if necessary
Fill the remainder of space onboard the ships with:
Some horse archers (As many as will fit) and
A squad or so of lancers.
---------In favor: (1) Mardent23
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 29, 2017, 11:10:07 pm »

All Desert-Horse Cavalry (Predominantly archers, but with enough lancers to make a decent charge) and their officers, a small force of ballistae, and one mage per ballista---lucky strike capable. Ships, if necessary for transport, pulled from the Eastern Sea.
---------All in favor: (2) Madman198237, Crazyabe, S34N1C

Three ships, with one ship armed with a ballista that can be dismounted if necessary
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 29, 2017, 11:48:26 pm »

I'm generally in agreement with option A.

---------All in favor: (4) Madman198237, Crazyabe, S34N1C, Devastator

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 30, 2017, 01:46:32 am »

Option A sounds best to me. If they outbid us, well, they'll be crippling themselves this turn. Speaking of which, do people agree about us assaulting the mountains as well?

---------All in favor: (5) Madman198237, Crazyabe, S34N1C, Devastator, NUKE9.13

Quote from: Orders
Attack the mountains: (3) Devastator, crazyabe, NUKE9.13

Deploy Gale-Stones: (1) Egan_BW
Do not deploy Gale-Stones: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 30, 2017, 01:52:32 am »

---------All in favor: (6) Madman198237, Crazyabe, S34N1C, Devastator, NUKE9.13, Taricus

Quote from: Orders
Attack the mountains: (4) Devastator, crazyabe, NUKE9.13, Taricus

Deploy Gale-Stones: (1) Egan_BW
Do not deploy Gale-Stones: (1) NUKE9.13
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 30, 2017, 03:22:37 am »

Combat for 928

Neither side develops anything related to skirmishes, so the raids are once again mostly even, leaning towards Arstotzka.

The jungles this year result in combat developing a fundamental shift in practice.

Once again Arstotzka approaches the edge of Moskurg's area of control, and once again our ballistas begin raining death with the same perfect accuracy as before - in greater numbers, even, thanks to our Engineering Workshops.  Surprisingly, Arstotzka's commanders hold back, staying just out of range like the cowards they are.  Their mages are not so lucky and are closer to the front lines, and our ballista bolts hit with deadly accuracy.  A brief bit of thunder rings out, and suddenly that death is turned back on us.

Based on how last year went, we fully expected a desperate Arstotzkan counter-charge to stop our artillery from tearing them to shreds.  Our men are standing in front, halberds at the ready, eager for Arstotzkan blood...only for high-speed rocks to come ripping through our lines.  Our men die in droves in the first volley, and as the second, third, and fourth hit Arstotzka charges forward to take advantage of that confusion.  Their men are still torn to shreds as they charge through the jungle, and their progress is made slow by the thick mud generated by the non-stop rain and lack of vegetation, but by the time they reach our lines the battle goes in their favor.  Most of their casters die from long range, but with their long-range death raining down on us it doesn't matter they're not using fireballs this year.  Our men do better without swaths of fire carving holes into our battle lines, but Arstotzka wins the first battle.  In subsequent fights the battles are much more in our favor; we keep our men back until they see them charge, then moving our troops forward to meet them.  Their inferior accuracy means at long-range we can snipe them to death before they can return the favor, but the first battle was so devastating it's practically even.  Their volleys rain down with much greater frequency than what we can return, even with our merely "expensive" artillery.  Our only saving grace is our Lucky Strike, which gives us a way to remain comparable with the enemy.  If we didn't have that ability, we would surely have lost every battle this year.

When we return the assault we find the same thing happening; our men are shot to death before they can get in appropriate range, and once ragged from artillery shelling they break and rout.  We can still out-snipe our artillery, however, and through patience we are generally able to gain the advantage.  It doesn't go well for us, and we don't lose a significant amount of ground.  We do better than Arstotzka, though, and another battle like this and we will eventually push them back.  Arstotzka is on the back foot.

Our Theatre Commander is in love with our new artillery.  It is reliable and accurate enough to do well against Arstotzka, even if it takes longer to load each shot.  He request even longer range artillery to hold them at a distance.  He questions how effective Gale-Stones would be against full-plate Arstotzkan infantry; our armor is effective against deflecting their shattering bomb arrows, so wouldn't the same principle apply?  Fire would be a better choice, but he leaves the decision up to you.  Something to counter their new artillery would be nice, but he only asks that you continue developing weapons to help him beat back those filthy Arstotzkans, as he's had enough of our men dying to their cursed fire.

Neither side gains a section of jungle.

We surprise Arstotzka with an assault on the mountains.

Their men, having grown complacent with years of inactivity, do not expect the assault.  Our ballistas send stones crash into their ramparts from down below, and with surprising success we find their arrows are less effective than before due to our new armor.  Their new cannons do a decent job at slaughtering our men at long-range from castle parapets, but it's not enough.  The cannons can't be angled down far enough to hit down-slope, and once in our men are in their blind-spot our artillery can shoot up at them.  Their castles fall and for the first time in decades Arstotzka loses a section of mountain to Moskrug.  They will not gain any further metallurgy bonuses until they retake the mountains.

The Theatre Commander points out that the same problem that affected Arstotzka could affect us as well.  Our ballistas only fire up and forwards; now that we have a foothold in the mountains, we will need them to fire downward as well.  He asks that you revise our ballistas to fire downward as well, as to avoid falling into the same trap as Arstotzka's cannons.

Moskurg gains a section of Mountain.

The seas reach a stalemate. 

Moskurg artillery is much more accurate, but Arstotzkan cannons do a better job of doing damage when they hit.  The battle on the seas results in both sides at extreme ranges pelting one another until their ships sink.  Moskurg does slightly better, as our accuracy allows us to hit us more reliably.  They tank most of our hits due to their heavier ships, but we do reasonably well.  If nothing changes, we will take the seas next year.  Arstotzka is on the back foot.

The Theatre Commander asks for either longer-range projectiles or - more preferably - something that can kill their ships quicker.  Fire projectiles would be nice, since they'd be especially effective at sea.

Neither side gains ground in the Western Sea.

Revision Credit:  Arstotzka has offered a more attractive mercenary force and won the revision credit.  Their troops are gone for the time being, and should the battle go well overseas they will return next year.

It is 929, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 929 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Moskurger Spells (click to show/hide)

NEW RULES.  READ.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:29:30 am by evictedSaint »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 30, 2017, 03:30:53 am »

They have cannons, we have gust of wind. Let's turn those cannons against them with a more powerful gust.

Blast of Wind: With the advent of the Arswtotzkan cannons, there have been a few mages pondering if the wind could be used to return the cannonballs to their senders. At the very least the morale effect would be a pleasant one; they aren't expecting the cannonball to return!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 30, 2017, 03:45:22 am »

..I don't think we can stop cannonballs with wind.  They're just too heavy and too fast, and they're small round spheres, the hardest shape to deflect with wind.  We may want to try winning skirmishes and pushing cavalry so we can chop down their gunners and keep mobile.  I am wondering how they're reloading so fast.

What do their cannons look like?  Have we gotten any good looks at them in the battles we've won?

That said, we now have skill in enchanting mundane items.  I'm thinking that for skirmishes we could win if we had magic arrows or bows for our skirmishers.  Combine that with an improvement to another skirmish skill on revision, and I'll bet we can take enough of the cannoneers down so that they'll make up less of a problem.

Also, the traditional way of dealing with cannons on defense is walls or ramps of earth to bounce the cannonballs over the heads of our soldiers.  We could try and create staffs that would throw up walls of earth for our troops.  That would provide enough cover so our lucky artillery could shoot down, as well as helping us greatly in creating fortifications in general.  That'll probably take both a design and a revision if we go with that.

(If we had pegasai, we'd just fly down on them from above, of course.  ;-p)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:52:44 am by Devastator »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 30, 2017, 03:48:29 am »

@Dev: Arstotzkan cannons appear to be odd cup-shaped devices mounted on wheeled frames.  From what we've captured in the mountains, we're not sure how they work although they seem to use water.

Clearly such a complicated design must be inferior to Moskurgs ballistas.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 30, 2017, 03:51:51 am »

Zapstones!

Like guststones, but stuffed with delicious potential magical electrical energy instead of some bloody pansey air magic. See how metal armor helps the cowards when this hits them!
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 30, 2017, 03:53:37 am »

Do they look mobile, or are they limited to use on defense only?  (yet)

Another option may be loose formations and some kind of Precognition amulet, so our soldiers could step to either side when a cannonball is coming, and dodge the balls as they'll only need a second or two of warning to dodge them.  They don't explode or do AoE damage, so that should help.  It might be relateable to non-magical traps in some way, so probably not starting from zero with them.

It might also help a lot in melee if we improve on it, as you'll know just when to dodge and what the feint is.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:00:33 am by Devastator »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 30, 2017, 03:58:02 am »

They have wheels.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 30, 2017, 03:59:29 am »

Thanks Evicted.  I'll put up a vote in the morning, after I've had more time to think about it.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 30, 2017, 04:51:53 am »

Hmm. Okay, so, I guess according to our theatre commanders Galestones were not a good idea. So much for original thinking.

Cannons, you say. That's a problem. And they have wheels? Man, they must've rolled well on that. Either that, or they've been developing them in secret for the past few turns.
We can make this a battle of who-can-outrange-the-other, I suppose. We could do what Madman suggested:

Firestorm Shells: Take the Galestones. Make them out of pottery instead, and fill them with flammable oil. Attach a burning rag to them. Enchant them to have longer ranges (being self-propelled by wind), and attempt to fix the 'wind explosion' part- it doesn't have to be that strong, just strong enough to disperse the flaming oil over a large area.
The wind-explosion part merely requires fixing an existing enchantment. The new features here are the flammable oil and the increased range. I see no reason why we couldn't manage to get all those features, given a decent roll. If not, a revision could fix that.

I don't like our odds of blocking cannon shot with wind magic. Or with shields. We could simply not be there when the cannonballs fall:

Detect Bombardment: A divination spell that predicts where and when artillery fire will hit. The impact of such heavy ordinance causes a ripple in the magical fabric of the universe, which spreads out across every dimension- even backwards in time- and can, with practice, be detected.

Anyway, I like our odds at the moment. We have more troops than the Arstotzkans (they lose their reinforcements from the mountains), plus they've just sent a considerable portion of their army abroad. Provided we don't completely mess up this turn's design, I think we should manage to take another section of jungle, and at least hold onto our section of mountain.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 30, 2017, 04:54:53 am »

It's less blocking and more return to sender :P
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 217