Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 185950 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1635 on: May 08, 2017, 08:34:15 pm »

-out of order-
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:25:05 pm by evictedSaint »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: May 08, 2017, 09:15:42 pm »

That depends on if the enchanted gear is Bows enchanted with that 'Wind Guide' type spell our ballista have. Anyone want to match the enemy longbows in range?

We already do, and can't penetrate at any range.  More range = more bouncing off.
I'm pretty sure their longbows are longer ranged then our recurve bows. And would they bounce off? The wind guide thing makes our projectiles go harder, because it does add more momentum to them. If we can penetrate in another range bracket along, that'd be worth it in and of itself.

Anyway, spell suggestion for this turn.

Protection of the Higher Truths/Mirage Shield
It is well known that Truth is a virtue, and like many virtues it is one that our godless foes neither possess or deserve. Luckily for all brave soldiers of Moskurg, there is already an example of how truth can be turned against the unworthy in this world, in the form of the Mirages of the Desert. As such, with proper prayer, it is believed that we too will be able to bend truth to decieve the unworthy, and protect our brave soldiers and sailors from long ranged enemy fire by concealing their presence with mirages. After all, if the one true god prevents them from being able to see us, they aren't going be able to fire with any accuracy, yes?

And once their siege engines are no longer in play, they'll swiftly find themselves facing defeat.

Quote from: Votes
Protection of the Higher Truths/Mirage Shield (1) : Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 08, 2017, 09:17:30 pm »

I think for a mirage we need high temperatures, and strong warm layers in the air.  With continual rain over the battlefield, we can't maintain the seperate layers of air required to create a mirage.  Invisibility and such would be useful, but it would be light or illusion magic to make it work in these heavy rains.

We already do, and can't penetrate at any range.  More range = more bouncing off.
I'm pretty sure their longbows are longer ranged then our recurve bows. And would they bounce off? The wind guide thing makes our projectiles go harder, because it does add more momentum to them. If we can penetrate in another range bracket along, that'd be worth it in and of itself.
Give me a sec to look up the quote for this.

Combat for 925
On a much sadder note, our bodkin arrows do even less damage this year than they did last year.  Before our needle arrows could cause injuries that could incapacitate a soldier, but now they're utterly useless.  The only time our archers cause injury is when they find their way into the eyeslits of an enemy helmet.  Lucky Strike makes this happen enough to make their men march slowly, shields raised over their heads defensively.  Our soldiers point to the padded leather cloaks their men have started wearing with their armor, claiming the extra thickness is enough to keep our arrows from scratching the skin.

Yeah, a slight increase to range wouldn't be that useful.  I'd rather go for adamantium if we need better arrows, because that would mean better arrows, better armor, better shields, better everything.

Adamantium.
It is known that Allah created all that exists on this world, from the greatest to the smallest.  It is also known that the divinity is on our side, as His support for our mages, our magic, and our cause is well known.  At this time, we have need of some of his holy powers of creation, and seek to combine them with our skills in enchantment, to create a spell that renders ordinary earthly steel into a superior metal of His own creation, that is anchored in this world unlike the crystals of the heathen Arstotzkans.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:27:56 pm by Devastator »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: May 08, 2017, 09:24:13 pm »

I think for a mirage we need high temperatures, and strong warm layers in the air.  With continual rain over the battlefield, we can't maintain the seperate layers of air required to create a mirage.  Invisibility and such would be useful, but it would be light or illusion magic to make it work in these heavy rains.
Do not doubt, Comrade. Allah shall provide against our unworthy foes. What is temperature, in the end, compared to the power of God? The Higher Truths shall not allow themselves to be used against his true followers... if they are properly invoked.

Or, in other words, we can make up for the niggling complaints of Physics with Faith and Magic. Besides, we are already creating clashing temperature bands by calling in the desert winds, and that might help? Also I want to create a 'Lens of Higher Truth' spell next, hopefully in our revision, that acts as a telescope so we can try to upgrade our artillery beyond normal line of sight constrants in the coming turns.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:25:55 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: May 08, 2017, 09:31:26 pm »

I'm not too worried about line of sight issues as we have teletalk wands, and as such, spotting distant targets is doable via any number of ways, such as flying spotters.

Again, though, we have had clashes of our climate magic and their climate magic, and the result is heavy continual rains, which is essentially a direct counter to weather-related mirages, which would push it into light and image manipulation instead of creating thermal layers like a conventional mirage.  (and hence be a new field of magic.)  It's also less effective in cold weather.  We're not fighting in a good condition to set up a mirage, and as such it seems like it would already be countered if we go for it, and be less effective even if we get a good roll on the spell.

Adamantium (1) : Devastator
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:34:50 pm by Devastator »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: May 08, 2017, 09:34:23 pm »

Code: [Select]
Adamantium (2) Devastator, Crazyabe
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: May 08, 2017, 09:46:31 pm »

Code: [Select]
Adamantium (2) Devastator, Crazyabe
Pretty please refrain from accidentally deleting my vote please.

I'm not too worried about line of sight issues as we have teletalk wands, and as such, spotting distant targets is doable via any number of ways, such as flying spotters.

Again, though, we have had clashes of our climate magic and their climate magic, and the result is heavy continual rains, which is essentially a direct counter to weather-related mirages, which would push it into light and image manipulation instead of creating thermal layers like a conventional mirage.  (and hence be a new field of magic.)  It's also less effective in cold weather.  We're not fighting in a good condition to set up a mirage, and as such it seems like it would already be countered if we go for it, and be less effective even if we get a good roll on the spell.
Umph. Fair points. I still think an Mirage type shield would be the best choice right now, even if we have to go venture into a new form of magic. The best results are always when we stop playing the game and instead alter the rules, like when artillery was introduced in the first place. As well, I'm not to hot on the idea of enchanted infantry gear because infantry isn't really anything close to being the main weapon right now, and unless it's also supernaturally sharp, supernaturally strong metal won't be doing anything for our archers either. So what actual use will Adamantium be? We can't even depend on making new Pavises from it, because they're starting to bring anti-magic shells into service.

And speaking of the Anti-Magic shells, once they get the bugs out of that and can fire it from more then a single cannon... well, do I need to remind people that our ballista access extreme range by way of an enchantment? It might not actually destroy our Ballista, but if one lands nearby it'll still be shut down just as much as the cannons we set on fire are shut down. Of course, this assumes they can accurately target our siege engines, which is one of the reasons I want to get a Mirage Shield up and running.

...Though I am really tempted to wait for next turn, or whenever they get the bugs out and start shooting the things at us in larger numbers and then giving an order to go collect the anti-magic shells and shoot them back. They should fit in our ballista just fine, as the shell seems to be one solid object. It'd be a fun surprise to give them, eh?

Edit : Also, as is, I want to remind you that the Teletalk wands are short ranged, and they do their longer ranged talking by relay. So a flying spotter might have range issues in actually connecting to the teletalk network. Though that's a revision or two away from being fixed, admittedly.

Adamantium (1) : Devastator, Crazyabe
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:49:33 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: May 08, 2017, 10:04:27 pm »

Adamantium (3) : Devastator, Crazyabe, Detoxicated

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: May 08, 2017, 10:21:15 pm »

Don't we have a clear skies spell? Shouldn't that negate the rain?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: May 09, 2017, 02:28:49 am »

They're trying to use anti magic on us. I suggest designing a bolt of Tubikh Rrahim and beating them to it.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 09, 2017, 03:00:06 am »

Something to hold the jungle is what we need. Once we have access to the jungle's hardwoods, we can build better ships and artillery.
Dunno what right now. I'll think of something later.
Long Live United Forenia!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: May 09, 2017, 06:51:07 am »

I'm bringing back an old proposal. Sorry that the quote doesn't give a link, but taking specific quotes from large posts is next to impossible on a phone.

Quote from: Nuke from a long time ago

Deus ex Tempestas*: We know the storm. We control the storm. We feel the power contained within the storm. And now it is time to unleash th
Creature of the Storm: Okay, so, a towering giant may be a bit ambitious. How about we start small, with a Lesser Storm Elemental. The same height as a man, but made up of swirling black clouds, they are immune to mortal blades, which pass harmlessly through them, whilst delivering savage blows with all the force of a tornado in return.
These give us a way to hold our own in prolonged melee where our brave soldiers are usually at a disadvantage. They would only be summoned during stormy weather, and probably require the attention of a wizard to keep them under control. The first prototypes are expected to be between Very Expensive and A National Effort, but with practice we should hopefully be able to get them down to just Expensive
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: May 09, 2017, 07:15:01 am »

I do like the idea, but that's going to be a multi turn investment,  and we need something now.

Bolt of Tubikh Rrahim - A modified form of the Ivory staff used by our wizards. The most complex part of this is empowering it with a wizards focus so that it will still block magic when at great distance from the activator. It is designed to last for half an hour,  and effect a similar area to the base spell.

I suggest this as their cannons need magic to work, whereas our ballista need magic to be better then mundane ballista.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: May 09, 2017, 07:21:50 am »

If we must go with an elemental summon, I'd rather do one of cold or mud, personally.  They've got a lot of magic things boosting the cold, so sending a frost elemental out to home on the cold magic should work better than storm.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: May 09, 2017, 08:14:38 am »

I do like the idea, but that's going to be a multi turn investment,  and we need something now.

Bolt of Tubikh Rrahim - A modified form of the Ivory staff used by our wizards. The most complex part of this is empowering it with a wizards focus so that it will still block magic when at great distance from the activator. It is designed to last for half an hour,  and effect a similar area to the base spell.

I suggest this as their cannons need magic to work, whereas our ballista need magic to be better then mundane ballista.
Our ballistae can already take out their cannons in a single shot. Unless the range of the anti-magic is considerable, this would not help take out their cannons by that much.

You know what, I think the previously suggested flying machine may not be the worst idea. It would give us a bonus in skirmishes, and leads to spotter-assisted artillery. I still think having the dead weight of a horse is a prohibitively inefficient idea, though. Rather, lets just do

Flying Carpet: Woven from fine cloth on enchanted looms, each thread is blessed and infused with wind magic. Magical runes and circles are worked into the pattern, which needless to say is a beautiful one, designed by the capital's most talented artists. The end result is a thick carpet that, with the appropriate commands, will float above the ground, rise and fall, and move in any direction faster than a speeding horse, whilst magically shielding any passengers from the winds.
These carpets are fairly large, comfortably sitting three passengers- one mage who handles the magical propulsion, and two elite soldiers armed with bows and Firestorm grenades. Alternatively, the soldiers can be replaced by a commander and a mage equipped with a Teletalk rod, allowing for scouting missions, or giving the commander a 'top-down' view of the battlefield, enabling him to give far more effective commands.

Adamantium (3) : Devastator, Crazyabe, Detoxicated
Flying Carpet (1): NUKE9.13

If, by some miracle, we design Flying Carpets without a hitch, we could use our revision to boost the range of our artillery, which combined with aerial spotters, would beat anything the Arstotzkans could muster.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 217