Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 186654 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1950 on: May 24, 2017, 09:31:33 pm »

Say that again? That statement didn't make sense. Is one of our spells still regulated by a wand? Perhaps Gust of Wind was? I know Cyclone Shield isn't, and the shield REALLY could use a buff. But, overall, I want the Hammer to be lethal again.

And heck, our carpets should be capable of drawing on this power again.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: May 24, 2017, 09:33:31 pm »

I'm suggesting that a design spent on wind magic could be used to make an item that boosts wind magic done by the caster.  That would do everything you want, and not have the drawback of requiring a storm to do it in.  It would also draw on bonuses by our experiences in wind magic, wand magic, antimagic, and maybe enchanted items, instead of wind magic alone.

I don't want it next turn, I want the boat instead as they like to counter our designs and a fireproof unsinkable boat that will upgrade with the next adamantine revision will be an absolute pain for them to counter, and could well be the only design we ever need to use on the sea, for the duration of the game.  Even if they design a full ironclad, better-than-steel ballista bolts will sink it.

But I am open to doing some metamagic in the turns after that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:17:28 pm by Devastator »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: May 25, 2017, 12:47:35 am »

Combat for 934

The jungle sees Moskurg push forward one section, once again stepping foot on Arstotzkan soil.

Carpet bombers still cause more damage during raids, but only barely.  Arstotzkan flares and falcons have proven capable of bringing down and repelling the carpet-riders, so Moskurg mages have moved to a "shoot and scoot" method of attack - they fly over the camp as fast as they're able and drop their firestorm grenades once overhead.  They don't stop and continue on; it does less damage, and they don't always escape Arstotzka's tamed falcons, but it results in fewer casualties.

The battles during the day see Arstotzka firing their long-range artillery from behind clouds of mist.  Normally they'd completely obscure their artillery with mist to prevent carpet-riders from seeing them, but they still need to be able to see the short-lived flares of their apprentices in the field.  The lack of exploding ammunition still limits their lethality, but Moskurg is likewise hampered because they can't bomb with impunity any more.  Ballistas are forced to move up to hit enemy targets and still hit with uncanny accuracy that Arstotzka can't match, but Arstotzka's HC1-E's have a higher fire rate and are just as plentiful.  Artillery is a wash, and charging over land results in similarly well-equipped soldiers smashing into one another with no clear winner.  Ultimately, it's al-Mutriqa who wins to day, flying in bravely on his War Pegasus, slashing falcons left and right and hurling fire at Arsotzkan troops down below.  Arstotzka retreats back a section onto their home soil, but at least now their navy can assist from the shore. 

Moskurg regains a section of the Taiga.

Arsotzka blows Moskurg out of the mountains with laughable ease.

Long-range HA1's are killer against stationary castles, and the natural cold of the mountain combined with Arstotzka's Towers of Frost can't be dispelled by the Divine Desert Winds blowing up from the south.  Additionally, Myark is seen here wielding a new wand; a glowing, impressive length of metal that unnerves every Moskurg soldier standing in the theatre.  War Pegasi often aren't enough to repel the long-range artillery, as the obscuring mists can safely hide them here.  Stationary targets don't require flares for zeroing in, and once bombardment starts Moskurg can't repel them quickly enough.  Men have taken on the disturbing trend of fleeing the castle once the walls fall, not even bothering to stand and fight when hope is lost.  Arstotzka's new wand - the Wand of True Light - effectively penalizes Moskurgs moral and pushes them out of the mountains and back into the desert.

Arstotzka gains control of the mountain.  If they hold it for a turn, they will gain a Metal Bonus.

Moskurg secures a section of the plains.

Despite no longer snowing, Moskurgs are still uncomfortable in the unnaturally cold area.  The plains also benefit the longer-ranged HA1 artillery, despite their relatively non-lethal nature.  Trenches are static, and once dialed in the artillery can begin shelling with mist cover, though semi-inaccurately.  War Pegasi are likewise effective at bombing trenches; that is to say, to a limited degree.  Falcons prevent them from truly ruling the skies, though they do make life miserable for the men down below.  Extreme-Range artillery battles are still a wash, as are charges across the devastated no-mans land by infantry.  Moskurgs calvary does slightly better, as it can sometimes close the gap between the lines more often than Arstotzka's calvary, but it's not terribly effective.  Ultimately, despite the cold advantage, Moskurg gains ground thanks to their superior communications via teletalk wands and their ability to use their War Pegasi to respond to threats faster.  It could benefit from improvement, but the Teletalk wands allow more nuanced battleplans, and Arstotzkan flare-users are often sniped too quickly for more than a couple quick artillery adjustments.

Moskurg has secured the plains.  If they can hold if for a turn, they may use the Horse Bonus there.

Arstotzkan ships push both the Eastern and Western Seas.

In these wide-open areas, flares are actually more useful for communication than the limited-range teletalk wands.  The steamships are faster and can pick-and-choose their battles, and each ship can sink multiple Moskurg vessels before eventually burning and sinking to the bottom of the ocean.  War Pegasi are still limited by range, communication, and the attack falcons, though they do a significant amount of damage to Arstotzka's ships.

Arstotzka gains ground in the Eastern and Western Seas.

Expense Credit!!!
The trader has returned once again!  Still interested in acquiring magical artifacts to sell overseas, he has enough coin to provide an Expense Credit if we choose to sell him something.  What do we trade the man?

It is 935, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 935 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Moskurger Spells (click to show/hide)

Behavior Rules.  Please Read.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: May 25, 2017, 01:15:12 am »

Well obviously we sell him the flying carpets. That's a no-brainer.

Time to upgrade our navy, eh?

Sirocco: Slightly larger than a conventional sailing ship, the Sirocco is constructed using strong, light woods from what remains of the Jungle. However, a more important feature is the Adamantium plating on the outside; made from the copper-soft version of the metal, cold-forged into plates 10mm thick, enough to provide some measure of protection against cannons and fireballs, and below the waterline it prevents fouling of the hull, leading to a faster vessel. The deck is covered in a thinner layer of Adamantium, to protect against fire.
The vessel is also faster thanks to the new sails. First, the sails are made substantially stronger than conventional sails, and then an enchanter sows magical runes into them, which when provided with magical energy fill the sails with wind, no matter the weather. Combining their inbuilt winds with favourable weather results in extreme pressure pushing against them, hence the stronger weave. As there is little to no need for the ship to tack against the wind, the rigging can be optimised for speed rather than being able to align the sails in any direction, further boosting the vessel's performance.
Naturally, a dedicated mount for a ballista is present, which is both slightly elevated, and situated so as to not unbalance the ship.

Sirocco: (1) NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:33:46 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: May 25, 2017, 01:23:52 am »

Agreed on selling a carpet.

Heh, got ninjaed writing up the boats but yours looks good.  The only thing I'd change is that 5mm of Adamantine is not very much, as it's far lighter and more plentiful than copper, so we could probably go up to something more like 25mm, easily.  (Mind you, the mechanics are loose, so the quantity doesn't really matter, just so long as it's 'enough to add some significant cannon protection.')  Also, the decks should be plated as well, to reduce the fire risk and provide a plated magazine for the fire bombs, as well as some protection built around the ballista mount.

I was also calling mine the 'Sirocco.'

Swifthulls: (2) NUKE9.13, Devastator

Sell flying carpet: (2) Nuke9.13, Devastator
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:31:32 am by Devastator »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: May 25, 2017, 01:36:45 am »

Yeah, fair enough. I don't know about 25mm, that's quite a lot, but we can go up to 10mm. And I guess we can cover the deck in a thin layer.
Also, I wasn't sure about the name, so I have no problem changing it to Sirocco.

Sirocco: (2) NUKE9.13, Devastator

Sell War Pegasi: (2) Nuke9.13, Devastator
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: May 25, 2017, 03:03:46 pm »

Mithril
By changing the structure of the spell used to summon adamantine, we can mold the summoned material as we wish. It can also be made much harder, or much softer. Hard almost to the point of diamond, and as soft, and useful, as a thread.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: May 25, 2017, 05:29:42 pm »

If we want to make a rope or fabric out of adamantium, I'd recommend doing a design on something like a School of Theological Engineering, as with rope or cloth fabric, we pretty much need it to be cheap, and such a school might render the metal forms cheap as well, not to mention giving a bonus to any future work in the field, including revisions.  Good rolls may even fix certain limitations we already have.

In general, though, I'm mostly in favor of trying to do improvements by revisions.  I want to add a couple of extra pluses between similar designs.  I'd also want any cloth to be able to make it keep the right temperature, to cover the all-weather gear, and that's another thing we don't know how to control.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:05:22 pm by Devastator »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: May 25, 2017, 06:09:18 pm »

Arstotzka asked for Commander feedback, so I I'll give you guys feedback from your own commanders, too.

Theatre Commander Feedback:

Jungle-Tiaga
We'll likely lose ground here, with Arstotzka's sea supremacy backing them.  Long-range artillery would be nice, but it'd be even better if we could get our carpets back to full effectiveness.  Their falcons are frustrating and cost too many lives for what they're worth.  Maybe some better protection would help - some sort of shield, perhaps?   Although that wouldn't help with the anti-magic gems strapped to the falcons causing the carpets to falter.  It'd also be nice to use the Staff from the carpets as well, but it's impossible to use without getting the carpet in the way of the anti-magic.  Hell, making the enchantments secure against antimagic would be pretty dang great.

Mountains
We can't hold the mountains - the cold is killing us too quickly.  The Divine Desert Wind doesn't do enough to combat their cold towers.  Some way of keeping our men from freezing to death would be nice.

Plains
Their long-range artillery is hurting us here, and without our carpets at full effectiveness we can't get an advantage.  We need either long-range artillery of our own or improved carpets, or some way of surviving their barrages.

Seas
Their ships have been slowly getting better.  Better teletalk wands would improve our ability to coordinate, and longer-range carpets would make strike missions viable.  Hell, just being able to withstand being shot by one of their cannonballs would be nice.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: May 25, 2017, 06:19:20 pm »

Should we make some sort of enchantment that prortects us from their anti-magic charms?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: May 25, 2017, 06:34:45 pm »

Should we make some sort of enchantment that prortects us from their anti-magic charms?

I don't think that's the best approach, given that enchantments are suppressed by antimagic.  They aren't gone, they just lose their effect temporarily.

We've also had problems combining enchantments in the past.

That said, an enchantment version or long-lasting version of Lucky Strike might help, because it would let the carpet rider shoot down a bird, but that won't work if they have more birds than carpets due to the one-shot nature of lucky strike.

No, I don't have any ideas I think are good for that problem.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:53:49 pm by Devastator »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: May 25, 2017, 07:47:12 pm »

It seems like swifthulls are the choice for this Design?

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:16 pm »

Sirocco: (2) NUKE9.13, Devastator, Happerry

Sell War Pegasi: (2) Nuke9.13, Devastator, Happerry
The Sirocco has my vote for this turn, but I really really want to get the Mirage shield up and running next turn, or if not that then something that can counter their growing artillery advantage. I still want to revise up Magic Copper Pavises this turn, but while I think that'll help I don't think it will be enough.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: May 25, 2017, 08:59:22 pm »

Design: Sirocco [6, 3-1, 4]

Our existing ships have been upgraded with armor. 

Copper-soft Adamantium is hammered into thin sheets and affixed to the outsides of our ships, as well as the decks.  This has the lovely benefit of making our ships glow in the dark, and the minor side effect of making them more resilient to being shot.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have a noticeable effect on speed, and the decks can be slippery when wet, but the extra defense makes up for it.  Some-what thicker shields are also crafted and affixed around the ballista to help prevent a lucky shot from knocking out the ships armaments, though the defense isn't absolute and a lucky shot could possibly manage to slip over or between the plates.  A storage "bunker" is also crafted for firestorm shell ammunition, which should prevent them from exploding when hit - or at least prevent the resulting explosion from destroying the rest of the ship.

The second factor of the design was to use what little wood remains in the jungle and use it to build our ships.  Unlike the Adamantium, this does increase the speed of our ships, and the sturdy wood works in tandem with the plating to make the ship even more resilient against damage.  Our speed should be on par with Arstotzka's, now, with equal or better survivability.  Very Expensive.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: May 25, 2017, 09:03:38 pm »

Dangit, eS, just before I could post an argument again.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 217