Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 186009 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2580 on: June 23, 2017, 12:03:59 pm »

Edit:  Snipped to avoid potential bias.  Going to maintain neutrality in this as a watcher.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: June 23, 2017, 12:22:09 pm »

Quote from: Thesises! Thesi? Thesisses? (It's Theses)
(0) Weather Magic in the Light of Allah's Will (More control over weather magic):
(0) Stellar Divination (Seeing the future):
(3) Magical Propulsion (Improved carpets [Carpet-shaped again!]): Madman198237, Kashyyk, Crazyabe
(0) An Observation of Ambient Mana and Applied Applications
(3) Kahrab Light Orb (Lightbulbs): NUKE9.13, SMMI, AC
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: June 23, 2017, 12:42:13 pm »

Quote from: Thesises! Thesi? Thesisses? (It's Theses)
(0) Weather Magic in the Light of Allah's Will (More control over weather magic):
(0) Stellar Divination (Seeing the future):
(2) Magical Propulsion (Improved carpets [Carpet-shaped again!]): Madman198237, Crazyabe
(0) An Observation of Ambient Mana and Applied Applications
(4) Kahrab Light Orb (Lightbulbs): NUKE9.13, SMMI, AC, Kashyyk

Whilst I do like the idea of Magical Propulsion, as far as I'm aware, the topic of the thesis doesn't limit what our research credit can be used for, so I'm going to switch over to the Light Orb.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: June 23, 2017, 12:45:13 pm »

But why?

This WOULD probably (Hopefully) get us an advantage in carpets, and it will be likely better for the credit, as logic dictates that if it's something the Princess is interested in, she'll do better work/we'll get the credit because working to her likes is logical. Much more so than...lightbulbs.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: June 23, 2017, 01:09:48 pm »

She is also interested in the wand of thunderbolts. Carpet riding is not the only thing she is interested in. Also, if we want to win the credit, we will need to produce the best possible thesis, not the one that would give us the greatest advantage if the stuff it described was deployed. I mean, that's what we're doing this for, remember? This isn't eS saying "You get an extra revision this turn, but you have to present it in a weird way".
Also also, if we do actually get the product of the thesis as a free revision, building knowledge of electricity is not a bad thing. Electric motors, powered by WoTs, could be pretty useful.
Long Live United Forenia!

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: June 23, 2017, 01:11:49 pm »

We have no practical applications at this time, since we don't have continuous sources of lightning.

This reminds me, if we ever need to develop an infinite source of electricity for railguns or whatever, all we need to do is design a simple thermoelectric generator. The fact that we can set adamantium to different fixed temperatures means we can set up a permanent temperature gradient for limitless electricity production via the Seebeck effect.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: June 23, 2017, 01:28:52 pm »

Evicted, we're breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

And it's all your fault.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: June 23, 2017, 01:30:36 pm »

It's magic, man.  It's all fucking magic and everyone gets mad when I have to make it balanced.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: June 23, 2017, 02:02:41 pm »

No, specifically because a constant temperature wasn't a part of the original adamantine design plan, as I recall. And you put it in, and now look what you've done? Conservation violated everywhere! Entropy, vanishing before your eyes! The LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS are disintegrating!

You maniac! Look what you've done!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: June 23, 2017, 02:09:44 pm »

No, specifically because a constant temperature wasn't a part of the original adamantine design plan, as I recall. And you put it in, and now look what you've done? Conservation violated everywhere! Entropy, vanishing before your eyes! The LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS are disintegrating!

You maniac! Look what you've done!
:/
I mean, I'm pretty sure summoning fireballs out of thin air isn't covered by the laws of thermodynamics. I dunno, I can't remember them all of the top of my head. Maybe one of them mentions fireballs.
Long Live United Forenia!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: June 23, 2017, 02:18:54 pm »

Go for the weather thesis guys as it goes into deep detail of magic...

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: June 23, 2017, 02:19:17 pm »

Yeah, it's the fourth law of thermodynamics.
Sadly, it was disproven in the 11th century.

But hey, we haven't reached then yet, so THROW MORE FIREBALLS!

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: June 23, 2017, 02:20:32 pm »

Eh, we've been violating the laws of thermodynamics since turn 1...that's kind of the basic underlying principle of magic, I think.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: June 23, 2017, 05:27:08 pm »

Votes locked.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile