Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 188246 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2775 on: July 13, 2017, 04:58:15 am »

Well, we do have a research credit, so it makes sense we go for something rather ambitious like bane this turn. We get bane and we can practically shoot into modern firearms straight up. (And I have an idea on the lightning/electrical bonus, but that's basically a revision)
I think trying to invent a coilgun is ambitious enough. We can enchant the thing with salt-inducing lucky strike and add the HE rounds too. Direct hits will be more likely, and a nearby HE round will still disable their Tanks due to the crappy wheels.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: July 13, 2017, 04:59:20 am »

We're already burning the wheels off of their tanks. But the HE comes first as our air force, and thus our navy, benefits from it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: July 13, 2017, 05:30:00 am »

We're already burning the wheels off of their tanks. But the HE comes first as our air force, and thus our navy, benefits from it.
We should be able to do it with just a revision though. We're basically there with an explosive round anyway, as we got a 4 on it. What we need is something to break through their crystal in their tanks, ships and anything else they make. Specifically an AP round, which a solid chunk of metal moving at high velocity is.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: July 13, 2017, 05:44:13 am »

A flaming explosive round. No idea if we can translate that into a purely explosive substance. And an AP round isn't going to do much against infantry, not with the rate of fire a cannon like what you're proposing would have.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: July 13, 2017, 05:47:13 am »

Angel's Wings
Engineers have taken the knowledge of our pegasi and the adamantium to create lightweight wings. These wings that have a mild air effect have several bands of leather attached to them so its wearer can maneauver the wings in the way he likes. By beating the wings he can gain some height, but its true strength lies within its gliding abilities. The Angel Wings troops can easily drop off our airships to drop behind the enemies defensive lines and strike them by surprise.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: July 13, 2017, 05:53:00 am »

Again paratroopers aren't viable if we don't have the weapons to seriously affect their troops.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: July 13, 2017, 06:38:11 am »

*cough*lightning rifle*cough*

A flaming explosive round. No idea if we can translate that into a purely explosive substance.
I think with just a revision we can. Because magic.

And an AP round isn't going to do much against infantry, not with the rate of fire a cannon like what you're proposing would have.
I didn't even mention a rate of fire on this thing, but I can't see why it couldn't be 3 round per minute, or even better. All we'd need to do is shove a greased iron shell down a greased barrel, connect a handful of WoTs, then aim and fire. quicker to use than a mundane cannon, and I'm guessing about as quick as an Arstotzkan one.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: July 13, 2017, 06:45:38 am »

Yeah. But there's two differences to account for with the arstotzkan cannons:
  • They don't need direct hits to penetrate armour
  • Their ammo doesn't blow up on them

So we need to be able to rectify both of those things before we can start with lightning cannons. And more to the point I highly doubt the lightning cannons will outrange their guns so it's not really going to be useful. Whereas bane, being a powder and a component can serve both as an explosive itself and as a stabiliser to our firestorm mixture to ensure it doesn't go off prematurely. And will certainly also have other applications, like being a replacement for gunpowder among other things. A large bomb that can utterly shatter their ships at sea and their armour on land is a worthy enough goal, and we can save the +1 to lightning for something like power transmission (Power armour anyone?)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: July 13, 2017, 06:56:41 am »

Quote from: Storm Elementals
Our Winds of Ruin have shown that we can become one with the Storm that Allah has Given onto Us. Let us Truly seek to embrace the Storm then. By focusing the scale of the control of the ritual, we have found that a single Wizard is able to not only Control one of Allah's Zephyrs beyond the horizon, but also Cast Spells from the Zephyr as if they existed within the Zephyr, as well as personally strengthen the Zephyr.

Goals of Design:
*Wizard Expense Level (Expensive)
*Allow Wizards to cast Spells from Zephyr
*Zephyr remains at BLOS range
*Make the Zephyr winds Stronger

Previous Magic Experience:
*Weather Magic
*WoR Mental Control
*Divination for Seeing While Not Being There

This will continue to push all of our fronts, allow our wizards to wreck all the shit, sets up for huge ass Tornadoes that shoot all the lightning out of them, and maybe one day Lightning Sharknado that we just fire and forget on our enemies.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: July 13, 2017, 07:02:08 am »

Doesn't really set up combos for repeated punches though SMMI, we kinda need things we can design follow-ups for.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: July 13, 2017, 07:16:04 am »

Stuff I personally think would be beneficial at the moment, in no particular order:

- Explosives capable of destroying crystal. Because smoking out the enemy isn't going to work in the long-term.

- Full-body adamantium plate armour. Gives our infantry complete immunity to fireballs and much better protection in general.

- Photochromic adamantium. Normally transparent, but is set to become opaque when light intensity exceeds a critical value, to protect against blinding flares. Can be used to make skyskiff windshields and transparent visors for our armour.

- A much more powerful version of the Zephyr. Tornados are currently underwhelming and overly-dependent on the availability of debris, but they’ve got the potential to wreck the entire battlefield, especially now that their range has reached beyond line of sight. Just imagine what we could do with winds strong enough to pick up an entire APC!
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: July 13, 2017, 07:22:10 am »

They don't need direct hits to penetrate armour
Because they've spent several actions on making the heaviest armour they can, whereas we've spent less on making manoeuvrable armour.

Their ammo doesn't blow up on them
I'll grant you this one.

And more to the point I highly doubt the lightning cannons will outrange their guns so it's not really going to be useful.
I disagree. If we can get to long range using torsion, we can get beyond that with a coilgun. And there we're out-ranging them because we have our pseudo-sentient storms.

Whereas bane, being a powder and a component can serve both as an explosive itself and as a stabiliser to our firestorm mixture to ensure it doesn't go off prematurely. And will certainly also have other applications, like being a replacement for gunpowder among other things.
I won't deny having better explosives is better, but I still think we can do this in a revision, and do the lightning cannon with a research-credit design.

We can save the +1 to lightning for something like power transmission (Power armour anyone?)
If we're wanting power armour, I think we should use this research credit on it. Care to make a design?

EDIT: All good stuff AC, but as usual we've got way more things to improve than we have time to improve them. I personally think a better artillery piece is the best action now.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: July 13, 2017, 07:27:22 am »

I'd actually say no to full plate armour, at least not without providing artificial musculature and such to it to ensure we can really make it impenetrable. Not to mention our troops still need to breathe. A fabric form of adamantium with solid plates of adamantium woven in would provide a much lighter and comfortable form of protection. The transparent adamantium is a pretty creative way of getting transparent visors and windshields though, and helps with those flares but it only needs a revision to be done.

And the zephyr is... well, not really that effective as an offensive tool wide open areas or on the seas. Which leaves explosives.

And no-one is saying we can't throw a few bombs into a zephyr to cause chaos and mayhem in the arstotzkan ranks :D

@Kashyyk: Sure, I'll propose a design for powered armour but we're going to need more experience in summoning materials from the aether to get the musculature for it, not to mention the circuitry to power the design. Bane gives is an immediate technological and combat advantage which can be further pressed with it's applications alongside adamantium. Bane isn't just to improve explosives as it is to be a new material altogether.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: July 13, 2017, 08:10:37 am »

Alright, so I think we should spend a design on explosives, for the following reason: Alwathnayu Mukafa'a rolled reasonably, but was still very weak. Even with the experience gained, I'm not sure a revision will be enough to get us the power we desire. I mean, if it increases the explosiveness as much as Alwathnayu Mukafa'a did, it'd still not be strong enough to really wreck Arstotzka's crystal.

I think using mundane means is fine, though. I mean, if Arstotzka can leapfrog up the tech tree to fricking steam engines, I think we can create gunpowder.

Hariq al-Siyni (Chinese Fire): After witnessing the power of Alwathnayu Mukafa'a, we realised that the al-Chemists were on to something. So we decided to see what they could do with a bigger budget. They demanded mines be set up to procure the strange mineral they call Thalj al-Sin (Chinese Snow). By combining this with charcoal and sulphur, soaking the mixture in water, and then grinding it with a millstone until it forms a fine powder, they have created a substance that does not merely burn- it explodes with righteous fury.
We do not pretend to understand the magic of al-Chemy (which, again, they insist is not actually magic). All we care about is, it works, and it creates a significantly bigger boom than before.
Long Live United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: July 13, 2017, 08:37:37 am »

Doesn't really set up combos for repeated punches though SMMI, we kinda need things we can design follow-ups for.

The follow up for Storm Elementals is making it so that the Zephyr can cast spells and seek out enemies without Wizard Control. Followed by making the WoR not need direct Wizard Control. Basically we make semi-intelligent Storms to wreck the enemy.

Also, it makes it so our furthest reaching weapon is devastating when used in the Tiage, Mountains, and Jungle, and strong in the Desert, Plains, and Seas.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 217