Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 370998 times)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1305 on: April 29, 2017, 07:34:37 am »

I don't see why we can't condense fog into water - it's a purely physical process after all. We aren't doing that to sink their ships because they're too far, and it would take way too much fog to create enough water, and would take way too long to do so as well.

That doesn't invalidate the Fog-O-War, though. We only need some pure water, and if we're condensing the steam back for reuse then even less.

United Forenia Forever!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 29, 2017, 07:38:23 am »

I am not saying that in general we can't do it, I just mean that, at this time, we don't know how to do that. It seems a very easy spell to learn, however, assuming we can conjure enough fog. Can be roleld in another design, such as the fog-o-war.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 29, 2017, 08:09:57 am »

Just one last idea for today to throw in.

Flight: Transmutation school spell ( altering wind and energy around for lift. Maybe some anti gravity too.)

To truly revolutionize War. Is to make it three dimensional. quote. A wise man.

With this spell our mages can now fly. Starting at modest speeds ( can be boosted. With time.) so can fly in and carpet bomb enemy rank and ballista with fire balls. Thus increasing range of spells. Not by alteringvspell. But where and how it's castes.

Improvements would be flight speed and such. Could turn our ships to air craft carriers ( which won WW2. Not battle or cruiser ships.)

Last idea and this one. My actual serious one.
*5 left.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:43:14 am by Tyrant Leviathan »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 29, 2017, 08:11:50 am »

What did we say about new projects befire the old ones work?

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 29, 2017, 08:13:11 am »

Hey just saying. That one I was serious about. But still voting on hybrid Cannon. Hence did not make a list. I no longer vote for my own thing. As I see that as a cop out.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 29, 2017, 09:28:31 am »

Flight would be a bad idea since they have so many counters to that like.
-Wind magic
-lightning
-those freak spear from God or what ever they re called

Also isn't there no point for voting for your own stuff? Since everyone would do it and then it'll change nothing other then make
Ing vote counting a longer process.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 29, 2017, 09:47:14 am »

Exactly. Though Lightning is countered by our tower of frost. ( cold air does not conduct as much electric.)

And the wind thing seems to be Arrow weight things. Not people weight.

Edit: ^= Because our fire balls are not effected. At least I think that's the case.

I see the Cannon working. We need it. Just going to have to aim it as good as they aimmtheir gun (not happening with a spell.) or we hit them in a high spray shower of heated Death ( a revision) so no need to aim. ( unless we can shrapnel shell as soon we get hybrid Cannon. Which is unlikely.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 09:59:13 am by Tyrant Leviathan »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: April 29, 2017, 01:55:57 pm »

I see the Cannon working. We need it. Just going to have to aim it as good as they aimmtheir gun (not happening with a spell.) or we hit them in a high spray shower of heated Death ( a revision) so no need to aim. ( unless we can shrapnel shell as soon we get hybrid Cannon. Which is unlikely.)

I doubt we'd have to spend a turn designing grapeshot.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 29, 2017, 02:05:39 pm »

If anything we might spend a turn create a variety of ammunition types and cheapening and perfecting them. Like Anti-magic shells, airburst shells, shells filled with the fire-venom form the wasps, grapeshot, etc.

actually we should use that fire-venom more. We could revise a plant grow spell to cause thorns filled with the stuff to grow on plants to stop soldier and horses.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 29, 2017, 02:21:11 pm »

Our people do not even have freakken shovels. Just saying.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 29, 2017, 02:23:40 pm »

Design: Hybrid Cannon [4+1-1, 5+1-1, 5-1]

Taking your Theatre Commanders advice to heart, you begin work on Arstotzkas very first artillery piece. 

Your design makes good use of the metal ore extracted from the mountains, but even so the device requires a new dedicated workshop for its manufacture.  It's essentially a short cup-shaped tube with a water reservoir in the back.  The design uses a combination of a specially-conjured PSF and water for propulsion - the PSF requires a bit of modification to be cast through the metal casing and takes a considerable amount of time to develop.  The PSF instantly super-heats the water into steam, which is then forced through the tube in a single, powerful blast.  Anything that happens to be inside the tube is carried along for the ride, sending it a long ways away.  The ammunition must be specially crafted to fit inside the barrel, and to this end our Mathemagicians use specially-carved rocks.  It takes a non-negligible amount of labor to carve these rocks into spheres smooth enough to fit within the barrel nicely, but they tend to fly straighter and more reliably than a rough-hewn boulder would.  They are roughly a little larger than a mans head.

The Hybrid Cannon is very heavy, but is mounted on a wheeled, wooden frame and pulled by horses.  It requires set-up before use.  It requires a fresh bucket of water between each firing event as fuel, and cannot fire without an attending mage.  The cannon also grows  quite hot after several firings, requiring water-quenching to get down to usable temperatures.  This repeated heating-cooling cycle has a tendency to cause the barrel to crack, which is preferable to firing while hot since that causes the cannon ball to jam and result in an explosion.  The rock-based ammunition also has an unfortunate tendency to crack, which can jam the barrel and either cause an explosion or a lengthy repair process.  The device is...reasonably accurate, reliably hitting in a radius of sixty to seventy meters at maximum range - this would make it effective against massed troops, but we won't be sniping anyone with it.  Its maximum range is about the same as that of our longbowmen; mid-range.  It requires several months of training before an artillery team is competent enough to use it.

Perhaps most unfortunately is the requirement that each cannon be attended to by a wizard or an apprentice for use, meaning they cannot be used elsewhere or by non-magical troops.  On the bright side, the cannons take very little time to load and fire, meaning we can shoot several times a minute until we run out of the specially-crafted ammunition.

The manufacturing workshop requires a bit of investment to get up and running, but our ore bonus lets us produce them relatively cheaply.  Expensive.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 29, 2017, 02:25:12 pm »

...what?

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: April 29, 2017, 02:29:58 pm »

Salt lord Wborr brought it to my attention. And yes. Confirmed. Need to revision on Cannon ammo.

Revision : Cannon: Ammo: Instead of just crafted boulders it fires smooth shells. Some explode into shrapnel, fire, magic castings with things. Etc.

Also think oyrvexpense credit should go to Cannon. Try to out do The ballista like Sherman tank did to panzers. By the number.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 29, 2017, 02:31:20 pm »

...what?

A miscommunication, I'm afraid.

At one point I suggested that we could have designed trench digging shovels to fortify our troops against the Moskurgians, a Tyrant appears to have taken from that that we don't know shovels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrenching_tool

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 29, 2017, 02:34:38 pm »

Okay, we got a cannon now.

And it's (once again) apparently useless.

It has the same range as our wizards and longbows, requires a wizard, and is less deadly than a wizard.

Well, maybe not entirely useless. I hope it has a greater fire rate, but that's it's only benefit. Oh, and maybe magic resistance.

Anyway, our problem was that the enemy engaged at long range, and our cannon has not at all solved that.

Revision : Long range fireballs

Upgrade our fireball spell to attack the enemy at long range.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 02:38:23 pm by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 301