Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 373081 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - Design Phase 914 [Arstotzka]
« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2017, 12:46:43 pm »

Make It Really Cold

This channeled frost spell drains the heat from the air, dropping temperatures well below freezing in minutes.

+1

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2017, 12:52:08 pm »

Make It Really Cold

This channeled frost spell drains the heat from the air, dropping temperatures well below freezing in minutes.

+1
If we do this, try and make the drained heat able to fuel fire spells.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2017, 01:02:03 pm »

Another option we may want to look into some day is the Large Sheild of Wizardite. Using what we gained from the firewall spell, we could make thin sheets of crystal for our soldiers. If we can make a large sheet of it our soldiers can hold it above them to block arrows as we go into battle and have it disappear once our soldiers make it to the fray.

Crystal caltraps is another good option for countering their horses.

Also, using the pipe idea (casting lances in metal and then they dissipate leaving holes in the metal) we can make fireball powered cannons. All we do is load the pipe cannon with grapeshot (or cannon balls) and have our wizards shoot fire into it, propelling the ammo at the enemy.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2017, 04:14:56 pm »

Make It Really Cold

+1
If we do this, try and make the drained heat able to fuel fire spells.
+1 I'll support this.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2017, 07:38:12 pm »

Forever Frost:  [5-1, 2-2, 4-2]  This may be one of the most expensive and ambitious projects you have ever undertaken.  Not only are you working on a fairly novel inversion of your existing fire evocation (getting rid of heat instead of creating it) you are scaling the project up as you have never before.  Months of work produce a huge, unwieldy spell apparatus, essentially an astoundingly expensive tower that has to be assembled in place and requires the skill of a master wizard to operate, as well as countless other skilled wizards.  The spell takes a good day to activate, but once done so it will run for weeks at a time provided it is tended to by skilled wizards and the enchantments continually refreshed.  It essentially creates a very powerful cold evocation and then channels it directly into the air.  It then consistently lowers temperatures within a radius of about fifty miles, essentially changing the weather for an entire region.  Sweltering weather becomes calm and reasonable, temperate regions become frosty.  You think it probably best to never try and activate the tower in your home taiga, lest you kill everybody you've ever known and sink Arstotzka into an eternal winter.

Apart from the astounding cost and complete lack of mobility (it takes a week to disassemble and reassemble the tower) the biggest cost of the tower is that it ties up skilled mages, forcing them to remain wherever the tower is placed.  Therefore, whilst the tower does grant you a terrain advantage wherever it is placed (or negate a Moskurger advantage) it weakens your offensive capabilities because less mages can leave the tower's side (they are still perfectly able to contribute to defence).  A National Effort.

[This is what I would term a Master level spell; bonuses to every phase of combat, with a corresponding expense and likelihood of drawbacks.]
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - 916 [Arstotzka]
« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2017, 07:58:15 pm »

Revise the lances, but focus upon improving the material. Try to make the crystalline structure more consistently formed. Try channelling the magic through tokens of various appropriate materials such as steel or wood or gemstones. Take a whirl at increasing the density of the magic used or spreading the casting out over a longer time to let it form more naturally... Do whatever you can to make the materials better, only then enlarge it to usefulness.

Revise longships into ice-breakers. You know where the new ice spell belongs...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 26, 2017, 09:13:55 pm »

I'm down with making lances useable. I'd try and focus on durability and longevity.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2017, 09:19:52 pm »

I'll support both, and honestly even through the tower costs a shit-ton ours forces in the desert and jungle are going to be loving it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 26, 2017, 09:23:57 pm »

Well it requires our master wizard. So we can only have one, and we lose his offensive capability. We may want to spend one of our two revisions on making it useable by non masters.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2017, 09:33:49 pm »

I'm down with making lances useable. I'd try and focus on durability and longevity.
I am not convinced that the lances are that good even if they work, but it seems like a good way to improve our conjuration ability with these crystalline structures.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2017, 10:22:17 pm »

Eh, we can improve our conjugation and get them at least functional at the same time. We may as well.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2017, 11:49:51 pm »

In the Jungle or desert, I think.

Anyway, the spell requires a master wizard, and our only master wizard is currently sick. So, it's pointless for now.

Revise the lances to be larger and actually usefull.    (Researching new tech as a revision doesn't work)

Revise our big fireball spell to be cheaper

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2017, 11:52:21 pm »

My votes are Make crystal lances usable and Make the major fireball spell easier. Knowing what we know now with minor fireball and the wall of flame, we may be able to work that down a level.

Ninja'd... 10ebbor10 must be a Moskburger because he's a mind reader....
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:29:38 am by Roboson »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2017, 12:59:52 am »

In the Jungle or desert, I think.
I agree, that was pretty much a joke. But still, if we could freeze the water it would block the enemy ships and our fire could cut through it. If they abandon their ships then we just shoot the ice and they all fall in and freeze. I personally think freezing the surface of the coastal waters is not going to happen, but it would be hilarious and massive if it did. Also, a ship revision would not be terrible.

Revise the lances to be larger and actually usefull.    (Researching new tech as a revision doesn't work)
I feel that improving the material is enhancing existing tech, or, perhaps, refining our usage of it. It is still just making crystal lances, just trying to play around with the formation process to make the crystals stronger. I am also tempted to ask for javelins instead but that would pretty much use up the whole revision.

Revise our big fireball spell to be cheaper
I would rather revise our little fireball to be a wand, our apprentices don't have much to do right now. but +1, would help. Actually, our first wand will probably need to be a full design, we only have wand-to-spell unlocked, spell->wand is a mystery...

A reminder that I do not vote for my own suggestions. Everyone will be tempted to vote for their own thing, If nobody votes for their own thing then you get to see where all the backup-favourites converge.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2017, 09:32:10 am »

Hold up, forgot our master wizard was down this turn. So for our revisions I vote for making magic lances/javelins useable and for Making It Really Cold cheaper. Big fire balls cheaper.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:35:01 am by Roboson »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 301