Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377068 times)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - Design Phase 913 [Arstotzka]
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2017, 08:09:39 pm »

If we DO go with that plan, it may be beneficial to use some material related to the animal as sacrifice or something to conjure it, to provide an amount of relevancy that could undo the disadvantage from being unfamiliar with both masks and animals in general in our magic.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2017, 08:10:37 pm »

If we DO go with that plan, it may be beneficial to use some material related to the animal as sacrifice or something to conjure it, to provide an amount of relevancy that could undo the disadvantage from being unfamiliar with both masks and animals in general in our magic.
Good idea. Might help make the masks more fearsome as well. I support this.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2017, 09:05:07 pm »

Ok, so our fog is now obsolete, but maybe we can just arms race it. Fog is just water droplets and ice crystals suspended in air, so what if we tried to take the fog spell and try to condense it into ice. We've already figured out how to make fire (which may help us figure out ice because temperature), and our fog spell is a good base, so why not:

Frozen Shell: A layer of ice freezes around each fog cloud, making it more difficult to blow away and shoot into.

Another suggestion: Wizard Hunters: These elite bowmen are specially trained to pick out enemy wizards and kill them before they can read the minds of our thanes.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2017, 09:16:23 pm »

Frozen Shell doesn't seem reasonable. For one, the shell would need support to stay up in the air around the cloud, and even more to withstand their magic wind. At that point, it would need to be some protective ice fortress, which we don't have comparable spells to lead into it. We'd have disadvantage on making it, and it would probably be a nationwide effort.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2017, 09:35:50 pm »

Frozen Shell doesn't seem reasonable. For one, the shell would need support to stay up in the air around the cloud, and even more to withstand their magic wind. At that point, it would need to be some protective ice fortress, which we don't have comparable spells to lead into it. We'd have disadvantage on making it, and it would probably be a nationwide effort.

We shoot giant fireballs through the air at mindreading magicians, and you draw the line at floating ice?  :P

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2017, 09:50:00 pm »

For the ice to float midair, some force must be continuously applied or some magic must be consumed passively. Either would greatly add to the expense of the spell, and since we have no similar spells to base the shell off of, we would get disadvantage on it, making any form of success unlikely.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2017, 09:51:39 pm »

What about summon brick.  It summons a large 2 meter square brick, permanently, a few meters from the mage.  Ideally every mage could use it, even apprentices, to build instant fortifications just before and even during battles.

For the revision, what about grabbing a large numbers of raving madmen and positioning them around the camp dressed as officers?  Surly nothing can go wrong with that plan.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2017, 10:02:57 pm »

For the princess: Ah, madam, we have just the thing for you! We recently captured a castle from the foul Moskurgs. We're sure that with proper renovation it could be a comfortable summer home! Oh? You don't like the cold? Well, the cold does grow on you, but until you get used to it, we'll be fine using adapted fireballs to provide warmth.
Oh? You're worried about Moskurg trying to kidnap you? No worries! In our Revision Phase this turn we'll develop the Web Trap, an adaptation of the Web spell that will make the castle a deathtrap for the foul Moskurgs! In addition to that, as far as we know, Moskurg has no true ranged attack spells, while we can toss fireballs down at them in your defense!

So? What say you? Will you provide financial support in exchange for this castle?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2017, 10:04:06 pm »

We literally just did the "fake officers" thing, as well as the "wizard hunters" thing, both failed.

As for the barricades...maybe Solidify Fog? It'd be a whole new spell based off of the concealing fog, it solidifies a fog bank so it can stop arrows and can't be blown away by the wind. That way archers would have cover that could be shaped to their position.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2017, 10:04:47 pm »

Wait, what about if we broke up our formations into much smaller independent groups so that they could not just read the mind of one guy and figure out the strategy.  Have battle plans made up in advance by officers and broken down into small task-lists for each independent group.  The commander on scene would be handling moment to moment changes but the overall plan would be preset and not known by the commander in the field.

Or just summon snakes.  Lots of poisonous snakes.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2017, 10:10:00 pm »

Those other things were done as orders, so we got two rolls and pick the worst.  Designing counter strategies to MIND READING needs more attention it seems.

So far conjuring novel things seems nice but difficult while creating mundane things like beetles and fog is easy. 

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2017, 11:19:52 pm »

Yeah, the issue with our last attempt at making guards for our thanes was we used an order instead of a design. This caused it to fail. If we took the design phase to do it right, it would actually work... probably. It's as likely as anything else to succeed.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2017, 02:14:10 am »

Wait, what about if we broke up our formations into much smaller independent groups so that they could not just read the mind of one guy and figure out the strategy.  Have battle plans made up in advance by officers and broken down into small task-lists for each independent group.  The commander on scene would be handling moment to moment changes but the overall plan would be preset and not known by the commander in the field..

We don't have the communication tech to pull that of.

Iituem : You forgot to add the big Fireball spell to our list. Oh, and what do we get from capturing an area anyway, do we get some sort of resources?

On that note, it seems we have a bit of a tactical gap. With our wind spell mostly useless, we no longer have a cheap spell. However, we have 4 Expensive spells. That is kind of an issue. Here are a few ideas.

Firewood wand : A cheap wand that allows even apprentices to cast fireball spells with ease. Basically, more firepower.

Firetrap : A cheap, ritually inscribed stone. Once stepped upon, it unleashes a fireball spell. Basically, a trap the enemy can't detect because it's magical and a stone.

Fireguard forces : An elite unit consisting out of our best bowman, best swordfighters and a dozen apprentices. Their tasks will be the elimination of spying enemy wizards, and ideally even their master. The great concentration of magical power should overpower the enemy wind spells. I mean, un all likelyhood we can cast mist more than they can blow it away. The ability to cast a good 20 fireballs should allow them to push through everywhere.

On a side note, don't forget. Once we capture the sea, we can flank the Jungle.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:37:04 am by 10ebbor10 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2017, 04:37:05 am »

Evil clone: Extract a single intense emotion from the target and form it into a visible copy of its source. Specifications require that it be able to mimic its source's behaviour and the emotion returns to the source when the spell expires.
Used on commanders, we extract their anger and make a dummy commander that gives out simple commands with little baring on the situation. Enough to fool a remote view but shouldn't fool anyone who is actually interacting with them. Mind readers tap into a mind of pure anger, suffer a feedback loop where they become angrier and need to attack(mind read) to get revenge which makes them more enraged... and go berserk...
Used on foot-soldiers, this makes an expendable copy that is powered by pure hatred. A brief reminder that the Mosskegs are all evil and they should be thrilled to throw their lives away for the smallest chance at purging the world of a Mosskeg.

As for the princess, if she finds the summer-residence insufficient, summon up some of those crystals that we made the lances from and make them permanent, place them in a gaudy necklace, then place an enchantment that will produce miniscule flames when magic is applied to it. Offer to teach her magic so that she can activate the flames herself to make the necklace glow at will. Then magically weld that necklace onto a suit of summoned crystal armour, use its lightness to make it both stronger and lighter than normal suits. Craft for her a greataxe and proper lance from crystal. Than summon a crystal dragon with internal fire spell structures to readily produce fire breath. Then imbue all of this into a custom spell forged uniquely to her own magical signature to increasde its efficiency to a point at which it can be maintained all day. Then grant her a personal taxidermist to keep any Moskergers she claims in her private garden. Then throw away the expense credit and encourage her to tour the front with a retinue of hand-picked shield maidens...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2017, 05:00:57 am »

That seems like a ridicously ineffective and unaffordable spell and solution. It's a new field, with no prior experience, and ypu want clone troopers.

Same for your gift. We can do none of that stuff.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:04:58 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 301