Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377031 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - Design Phase 914 [Arstotzka]
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2017, 09:51:57 am »

You will receive an effective Expense reduction for all primarily metallic mundane items you design in future, for as long as you retain control over this region.

Question : Do our current metalluc designs get the bonus as well?

Your current designs are aimed at taking advantage of what metal was available in the taiga.  The expense bonus reflects your ability to design more metal-heavy equipment in future.  At the moment I'm disinclined to apply the bonus retrospectively (applying to both sides).
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2017, 09:53:43 am »

Will revisions automatically apply the bonus?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2017, 09:59:00 am »

Yes, if you revise any of your standard armour I'll apply the bonus since you're revising them with extra materials in mind.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2017, 10:32:14 am »

Anyway, current tactical situation :

We're missing the Moskurgian wizard. He's gone from the jungle, and we can't find him anywhere else.

In the mountains, we lost our ranged advantage, concealment and insects.
In the jungle, we have been succesfully murdering their wizards but without much success otherwise
In the plains, we're being pressed hard. Those horse archers are bad news.

On the seas, we've lost our firebat advantage, putting everything equal again.

Oh, and we'll be fighting in the desert next turn, so that'll be two places with large open terrain where their horse archers can murder our forces. We need to deal with those one way or the other. Their wind wizardy is becoming annoying though, cancelling out our insects.

Anti-horse archer ideas :

Firewand  : Cheap fireballs for novices. Everyone happy.
  ---> Advantage : Fireballs are useful everywhere
  ---> Advantage : Horses are afraid of fire
  ---> Disadvantage : Continues reliance on ranged fire spells => vulnerable to wind wizardy

Improved compound bow : Cheaper, stronger, better
  ---> Advantage : Massed archers defeat horse archers
  ---> Disadvantage : Vulnerable to wind Wizardy

Razorwire Webs : A web reinforced with crystal. Summon in front of a moving cavalry squad, and see as they tear themselves to shreds
  ---> Advantage : Likely to inflict actual casualties
  ---> Advantage : Not vulnerable to wind wizardy
  ---> Disadvantage : High cost wizardy
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:44:47 am by 10ebbor10 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2017, 10:57:01 am »

We just got a bonus the enemy can't possibly compete with. Lots and lots of metal. And as long as their magic can't directly kill our soldiers, then let's win in combat.

For design, I'm voting for plate armor for our infantry. That stuff is basically invincible. The penetration depth of even bodkin arrows shot from a longbow at close range (20 meters) isn't enough to kill someone, and you can forget about long range. Blades? Nope. Spear/dagger on a stick?  Nope. Lance? Yeah, but the enemy doesn't have those.

So plate armor.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2017, 11:23:59 am »

While interesting, I worry about the ability for our plate armored soldiers to actually compete in combat. Plate is heavy, after all.

Since we won't be able outfit all our forces, I fear using plate may make our forces invincible but useless.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2017, 12:36:19 pm »

Plate armor is not heavy at all. Plate armor can weigh 30-50 pounds distributed across the entire body. Chain mail weighs about 20-30 pounds, but offers signifigantly less protection. Heck, American soldiers carry a 60-100 pound pack, and that's just on their back, which is way more restrictive to mobility. So, that's about six to ten pounds per limb and on the torso, which is almost nothing. And its beyond nothing when you consider that that extra 6-10 pounds makes you highly resistant to the enemies arrows, and invincible to blades except at the joints.

With our new metal bonus, which decreases cost, and perhaps one revision, we can probably crank out armor that's a billion times better than the enemy's cloth armor.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2017, 12:47:16 pm »

If we do that, though, they'll find a way to counter it, like making their blades strike true to weak points, too. Heck, "strike true" might already be able to make arrows hit the joints and such on armor, though those attacks would be less lethal.

..What if we had a way to conjure the enemy's arrows from midair? If done well enough, we could conjure the arrows in the opposite direction, turning them and maybe their "strike true" enchantment on themselves! On a weaker roll, we could take them from their storehouses, reducing the power of their archers.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:34 pm »

If we do that, though, they'll find a way to counter it, like making their blades strike true to weak points, too. Heck, "strike true" might already be able to make arrows hit the joints and such on armor, though those attacks would be less lethal.

..What if we had a way to conjure the enemy's arrows from midair? If done well enough, we could conjure the arrows in the opposite direction, turning them and maybe their "strike true" enchantment on themselves! On a weaker roll, we could take them from their storehouses, reducing the power of their archers.

I dont understand the argument there. Your argueing that they have to aim for knees and elbows (the weak points) instead of the heart. Right now the enemy's arrows are hitting us in the chest (And its going right through our leather armor). With armor they'll be trying to hit our men in the elbow, the armpit, and the back of the knee (and it may not even go through because of armor). Even if they still get the bonus to accuracy, they'll have to aim for non-lethal areas. Which is much better than aiming at our currently lightly armored lethal areas.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2017, 01:27:33 pm »

Plate armor is not heavy at all. Plate armor can weigh 30-50 pounds distributed across the entire body. Chain mail weighs about 20-30 pounds, but offers signifigantly less protection. Heck, American soldiers carry a 60-100 pound pack, and that's just on their back, which is way more restrictive to mobility. So, that's about six to ten pounds per limb and on the torso, which is almost nothing. And its beyond nothing when you consider that that extra 6-10 pounds makes you highly resistant to the enemies arrows, and invincible to blades except at the joints.

With our new metal bonus, which decreases cost, and perhaps one revision, we can probably crank out armor that's a billion times better than the enemy's cloth armor.

In that case, objection withdrawn.

Vote for Plate Metal Armor

Yes, but they'll have to counter it in 3 ways : Ranged, close range and magical. That's 3 designs for one. Plate armor fominated European weaponry design for near a century.

Conjuration is not teleportation. It's making stuff from thin air. And it's not like arrows are a rare resource.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:56:20 pm by 10ebbor10 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2017, 05:45:18 pm »

Magic-resistant fog. Make a region in which the enemy magic doesn't work. We can put up fog and use it as wind-breaks for our bugs because the wind hits it and becomes nothing more than an embarrassing noise, plus it blocks all their divination nonsense...

More specifically, it draws magic from from the ground and forces it outwards like a centrifuge through swirling patterns of fog and inciting many collisions. By the time it is expelled from the fog, it is a chaotic mess of incompatible energy-levels and discordant trajectories that dissipate incoming magic forms. thus magic is more stable within than without.

Alternatively, use what we know of summoning magic swarms to summon a living fog with basic magic manipulation enough to exert its will in opposition to encroaching magical effects. With luck it might be willing to play host to our own magics.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:14:39 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2017, 05:57:51 pm »

A simple dispel magic spell was a national effort option at the start of the game. I have my doubt a wider ranging, longer range option will be easier.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2017, 06:17:04 pm »

Dispel magic kills someone else's spell, and is fire-and-forget... This requires maintenance, only effects an area, and suppresses our own magic too. I would expect it to be expensive at most.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2017, 08:52:24 pm »

I'll support the Metal Plate Armor.

Edit: Since plate armour is still likely to be expensive let's make it officer armour, and then revise our chainmail to be general equipment with a breastplate.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:56:53 pm by stabbymcstabstab »
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2017, 09:24:41 pm »

Edit: Since plate armour is still likely to be expensive let's make it officer armour, and then revise our chainmail to be general equipment with a breastplate.

-1, we may as well have it for everyone. Even if its expensive, we can use that revision credit on the plate instead of the chainmail and get it down to inexpensive.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 301