Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 375630 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #855 on: April 25, 2017, 06:12:28 pm »

I'm considering making a small addendum to the rules where for every futuristic design, -1 die roll for every century in the future it occured in the real world.

Buuuut that would kill a lot of the fun, so I'm on the fence about it. >_>

Edit: The votes are tied between larger streamlined fireballs and anti-arrow hide layer for armor.  Someone please break the tie or I will roll the revision for armor bikini's instead.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:20:05 pm by evictedSaint »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 25, 2017, 06:19:49 pm »

would that be retroactive? we wouldn't have persevered on steam had that penalty been in place since the first design. On the other hand, applying such a steep penalty to new futuristic designs but grandfathering our steam technology in would quite rightfully cause salt on the other side.

Although, to be fair until the last revision we only used stuff already built in the ancient world(Aeolipile, rope, paddles), it is only with the turbine that we are starting to get ahead of time.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 25, 2017, 06:21:59 pm »

I probably wont do it - partially because I think it'd be interesting to see medieval tanks rolling around and such.  Forcing you guys to climb through the tech tree is balanced enough, anyways.  Your initial steam engine was an aeolipile, which was invented in 100 A.D.

I guess I just feel guilty since Moskurg is rolling out assault rifles this turn /s
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:23:43 pm by evictedSaint »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 25, 2017, 06:29:12 pm »

assault rifles? the repeating action would be quite complex to develop, although I guess clever magic could do it?
it seems like something which would require even more actions than a steam engine... or better rolls.

I hope you are just messing with us, because if they do have proper assault rifles, it obsoletes my plans for future steam rifles.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 25, 2017, 06:30:58 pm »

v
-> /s  <-
      ^

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 25, 2017, 06:34:27 pm »

Of course, their antimagic seems to be area-based, and the steam is magic-powered, so...
We really need to do something about their antimagic.
Other than the creation of anti-anti-magic, we're going to have to start murdering their mages in their sleep or or spend a revision making it so you can hand fuel the engines.
I have been proposing antiantimagicmagic(implying that the antiantimagic should be magical...)...
That, and everyone is allergic to doing any sort of research on the precise effects that their antimagic is having on our stuff. It should be dead-easy to see if it can dispel crystals while wielded by someone with an antimagic charm. If our antimagic absorbs theirs and prevents it from operating within our fields then we will know. Getting a first-hand description of precisely how a wizard's fireball failed would be marvellous. Does it just vanish, does it get sucked away, does it go all wonky and spill everywhere, does 1+1 suddenly equal fat caterpillar? Does it remove our sustained fogs? We can use them to blind the enemy and disrupt their coordination, and do drills to train fighting within fog... if the fog works at all. If sustained magic works then we know it is an instantaneous effect or something that can be countered with persistent magic.

Order: silver cage caltrop delivery method.
make little silver cages, all runic and such, all cosmetic-laden, with a simple knot holding it closed. Fill it with crystal caltrops before a fight and hang it upside-down from a thane with an antimagic charm. If the thane repositions towards the rear, they can pull on the knot, caltrops drop to the ground, someone can witness how long they remain extant. The enemy thinks it is the pointlessly cosmetic baggies protecting them, if it works, if it doesn't then we know that their antimagic is penetrating ours...

We only need, like, half-a-dozen of the things to test the theory...

Order: Fog training.
Train soldiers to fight within fog. Identify allies and keep track of forwards and backwards and walk on uneven terrain and such. Just a couple of squads for now as proof of concept.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 25, 2017, 06:39:01 pm »

Ram, you can execute as many orders as you want per turn.  All they need is 1 vote - basically so long as no one says no, it'll be rolled for.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 25, 2017, 07:17:51 pm »

Quote from: revision
3 Streamlined Fireball: Make Streamlined Fireball bigger. Andres, Roboson, RAM
3 Hide Armour Gambeson: 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Andrea

Need a tie breaker.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 25, 2017, 07:45:32 pm »

Of course, their antimagic seems to be area-based, and the steam is magic-powered, so...
We really need to do something about their antimagic.
Other than the creation of anti-anti-magic, we're going to have to start murdering their mages in their sleep or or spend a revision making it so you can hand fuel the engines.
I have been proposing antiantimagicmagic(implying that the antiantimagic should be magical...)...
That, and everyone is allergic to doing any sort of research on the precise effects that their antimagic is having on our stuff. It should be dead-easy to see if it can dispel crystals while wielded by someone with an antimagic charm. If our antimagic absorbs theirs and prevents it from operating within our fields then we will know. Getting a first-hand description of precisely how a wizard's fireball failed would be marvellous. Does it just vanish, does it get sucked away, does it go all wonky and spill everywhere, does 1+1 suddenly equal fat caterpillar? Does it remove our sustained fogs? We can use them to blind the enemy and disrupt their coordination, and do drills to train fighting within fog... if the fog works at all. If sustained magic works then we know it is an instantaneous effect or something that can be countered with persistent magic.

Order: silver cage caltrop delivery method.
make little silver cages, all runic and such, all cosmetic-laden, with a simple knot holding it closed. Fill it with crystal caltrops before a fight and hang it upside-down from a thane with an antimagic charm. If the thane repositions towards the rear, they can pull on the knot, caltrops drop to the ground, someone can witness how long they remain extant. The enemy thinks it is the pointlessly cosmetic baggies protecting them, if it works, if it doesn't then we know that their antimagic is penetrating ours...

We only need, like, half-a-dozen of the things to test the theory...

Order: Fog training.
Train soldiers to fight within fog. Identify allies and keep track of forwards and backwards and walk on uneven terrain and such. Just a couple of squads for now as proof of concept.

Or instead or in addition to we give the following order:

Offer a small monetary reward and a commendation ceremony to any soldier who retrieves piece of magical equipment from the enemy.

Then we can experiment with their antimagic all we want. Its likely they did a similar thing, they looted some crystal weapons off our guys, and then figured out a way to break them with magic. That's why their antimagic doesn't work on our fireballs, because its really (probably) anti-crystal magic, not anti-magic magic.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 25, 2017, 08:01:57 pm »

I'll switch to Gambeson
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 25, 2017, 08:08:18 pm »

2 Streamlined Fireball: Make Streamlined Fireball bigger. Andres, Roboson
5 Hide Armour Gambeson: 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Andrea RAM, Stabby

And Roboson I think the reason the anti-magic field doesn't work on our fireballs isn't because they aren't affected by it. Rather the fireball isn't magical just the spell needed to summon it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 25, 2017, 08:09:09 pm »

Revision: Leather Gambeson [4+1]

Also known as an "arming doublet", we modify our existing leather armor to be double-lined and padded.  While it has the nice effect of keeping our men nice and warm in the colder months, the main benefit is increased resistance against arrows.  It's simply more material that Moskurg arrows will need to travel through to reach the cozy Arstotzkan soldier beneath.  Coupled with our existing plate armor, our men are all but invulnerable to arrows - so long as the vulnerable eyeslits aren't targeted, that is. 

We use our existing supply of obsolete leather armor to produce the gambesons, meaning we have enough to outfit everyone in our army.  Cheap.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 25, 2017, 08:29:51 pm »

2 Streamlined Fireball: Make Streamlined Fireball bigger. Andres, Roboson
5 Hide Armour Gambeson: 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Andrea RAM, Stabby

And Roboson I think the reason the anti-magic field doesn't work on our fireballs isn't because they aren't affected by it. Rather the fireball isn't magical just the spell needed to summon it.

If theory is correct on anti magic. We can focus just on stuff non magician but if summoned in magic way. No problems? Makes sea monsters more valid and other stuff.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 25, 2017, 09:01:05 pm »

Seriously? I leave you alone for a few hours and you do this? Their arrows only had minor effect on us and most of their effect came from magically going through their visors, which a gambeson doesn't protect against. We suffer more casualties from their cavalry so even revising our caltrops to be made of metal would've been a better revision.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 25, 2017, 09:02:51 pm »

For a future design, how about some way make arrows miss the vulnerable points of armor? Kind of like an anti-magic field but instead of no magic, projectiles entering it tend to miss. A charm could potentially even be somewhat based on the anti-magic charm?
Or just some kind of revision later to cover the weak points somehow via magical or mundane means.
Perhaps it's not that important now because while their arrows are annoying, the new leather gambesons should make it enough of a non-issue to focus on other things.

In the future we could probably focus on diversifying our advantage. If they find a flaw to focus on in our designs, that nullifies all of the work until we find a way around. But having more advantages instead of "even better armor" means multiple things to counter.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 301