Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376917 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2190 on: May 10, 2017, 02:18:15 pm »

We still need something to spot for our artillery. Like the flare spell, which could probably fit in a revision.

And as for future improvements to the HA1, I think it's best to just use an expense credit on that if we get one.
As for fire countering, I think we should go for something a bit more versatile. Even something basic like a cheap frost spell would work.

What I think we need to do:
1.) Cement advantage at sea
2.) Counter lucky strike + fire bombs
3.) Skirmish capabilities.
Not necessarily in that order. I also want to fit Flare in one of the upcoming revisions to increase the effectiveness of our HA1's as well as skirmishing capabilities.

And I still really like the Crystal Barricade. For those who don't remember, it's a deployable crystal barricade usable by anyone. Helps for things like artillery but also everyone else once we get crystal anchoring.

And magegems. I think magegems are super important to do. They unlock a lot of future possibilities, after all.

And finally, as for shells, I still think that we should fix the Equalizer or build an AoE shell. AoE could probably just be a copy of their firebombs but using our fireball mastery and the Equalizer would be so much better if we could use it more often.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: May 10, 2017, 02:33:12 pm »

Indeed, fixing the equalizer is important. When we used it, we actually managed to stop the enhancement on one of their ballistae.
would be even better if it spread over a larger area.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: May 10, 2017, 02:40:57 pm »

Perhaps we can use our anti-magic crystals as a way to get explosive projectiles? Our current, rather awful anti-magic shells are built more to disable enemy magic than to do any damaging effect. Focusing on the latter would allow our munitions to bypass their anti-magical protection without creating some new kind of anti-magic resistant magic.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: May 10, 2017, 02:43:43 pm »

That's possible, but I think the right way to go about it is revising the Equalizer to be more reliable and cheap. Cheap is possible as a bonus action if we can exploit the metal bonus.
A cheaper and reliable Equalizer would go a very long way towards usefulness.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: May 10, 2017, 02:47:25 pm »

Perhaps we can use our anti-magic crystals as a way to get explosive projectiles? Our current, rather awful anti-magic shells are built more to disable enemy magic than to do any damaging effect. Focusing on the latter would allow our munitions to bypass their anti-magical protection without creating some new kind of anti-magic resistant magic.

Glory to Arstotzka.

We did exactly that with our anti-magic arrows. The result was dissapointing, and instantly negated by their anti magic.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: May 10, 2017, 02:49:05 pm »

Indeed. While they have antimagic, forget dealing damage with antimagic crystals. What they DO have the potential to do is take away their extended range, perhaps their aiming.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: May 10, 2017, 02:59:26 pm »

Glory to Arstotzka.

We did exactly that with our anti-magic arrows. The result was dissapointing, and instantly negated by their anti magic.

What we really need to do is create a high altitude anti-magic zone. When their projectiles pass through it, it will remove their luckystrike.

Edit: Our bomb arrows don't detonate in anti-magic zones, so it stands to reason that lucky strike arrows don't work if they go through an anti-magic zone either.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:01:36 pm by Roboson »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: May 10, 2017, 03:00:27 pm »

Not sure if it'll do that (Lucky Strike could take affect at launch), but it'll easily disable their wind range extension spell.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: May 10, 2017, 03:01:05 pm »

That's possible, but I think the right way to go about it is revising the Equalizer to be more reliable and cheap. Cheap is possible as a bonus action if we can exploit the metal bonus.
A cheaper and reliable Equalizer would go a very long way towards usefulness.
So long as the name of the new iteration of anti-magic shell is AS-AMM1, and so long as they do not further diminish the effect of our frost towers, I may be willing to support this.

The result was disappointing because the projectiles were too small to do a lot of damage, to my memory, and the focus was on negating magic than doing damage. As for being negated, can you recall why they were being negated? How can anti-magic be itself negated by anti-magic?

What we really need to do is create a high altitude anti-magic zone. When their projectiles pass through it, it will remove their luckystrike.
It will also negate our frost towers.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: May 10, 2017, 03:02:59 pm »

It will also negate our frost towers.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Doubtful. Maybe if you plan on sending our towers into space, but otherwise, not really.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: May 10, 2017, 03:11:01 pm »

The result was disappointing because the projectiles were too small to do a lot of damage, to my memory, and the focus was on negating magic than doing damage. As for being negated, can you recall why they were being negated? How can anti-magic be itself negated by anti-magic?

They didn't negate any magic, so it's certainly not that. Blowing up is all they did.

And IIRC, they're negated because all other anti-magic drains the magic away from the charm, preventing it from accumulating sufficient power for detonated.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: May 10, 2017, 03:45:59 pm »

And IIRC, they're negated because all other anti-magic drains the magic away from the charm, preventing it from accumulating sufficient power for detonated.
What if we made them accumulate power before we launched the arrows instead of hoping they accumulated power from the magic of the enemy mages?

Glory to Arstotzka.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: May 10, 2017, 03:50:34 pm »

Pretty sure that just means that that power will be negated.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: May 10, 2017, 03:51:14 pm »

Seems over complicated.
Besides, the point of Equalizer shells is that they disable magic with a radius much bigger than that of any possible AoE shell. Ideally, they'd do as much damage as a regular shell.

BUT I am okay with the idea of more "active" counters since I'm afraid of us countering their stuff, relaxing, then suddenly getting crushed when they counter our counter. We should be diverse in counters as well as non-counters.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: May 10, 2017, 04:01:28 pm »

B/c I'm super bored today. Evicted, if this is not ok (as it depends on not confirmed information or is just not allowed), let me know and I'll delete this post.

Mini-game:
In the year 915 a great meteor crashed into Arstotzka and created the Foe Ax Crater. At the time our people took it as a sign of our inevitable victory against the evil Moskurg hoard. Years later, the wizard Roboson led an exploratory expedition into the crater. What he discovered was not a sign from the gods, but actually a gift. In the crater a small iron rich meteor was discovered with unusual properties.

There was little of the  strange celestial iron, only enough to make one unique object. Seeing a great opportunity here, he shared the information with his colleagues in an attempt to find the best use of this gift from above. Roboson offers one year of his votes to the person who creates a passing design that utilizes this celestial iron. (Redeemable by telling Roboson what to vote for).
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 301