Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377052 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #4185 on: August 11, 2017, 10:51:09 pm »

We have to change the nature of warfare.

Design: ASAF-O47 "Oracle" Variant A

Space.
The realm beyond ours. For centuries, Arstotzka's researchers have wondered about the possibilities that lie beyond the veil of our skies, but it was only with the advent of magic that interest started to garner. And now, with the KPD, space may soon be ours. The O46 (Orbiter 947) Oracle will be the vehicle to reach space. It may not be easy, but it's possible.

Spoiler: Fluff (click to show/hide)

Hull - Just a modified version of the Lightning to save time. The turret is now fixed in place (the Oracle can just move itself for targeting) and a small open-air tube connects the gunner and cockpit to allow for coordination. Of course, the place is sealed and filled with ARC. Armor should be minimal.
Weapon - A single fixed HC1-E firing +E Blastshells (not +ER, since those are expensive + only fit in the HA1) will be present in the former turret. The altitude from which the shell is fired should make it extremely powerful regardless of whatever's firing it, and range doesn't matter because space.

Atmosphere
Atmosphere Regulation Circuits - The Fireball, a spell we've mastered, is basically just "gas mix + energy". We take out the "energy" part, tweak the gas mix, then make a passive circuit like cooling circuits to keep a certain gas mix. Combine with cooling circuitry and bam, we can keep the atmosphere of any space regulated.
Vacuum KPD - Apply the ARC here to keep a bare gas mix for the KPD to operate in. Should still be passive since we need a simpler gas mix + smaller volume even if the KPD does increase the strain, but if we have to make it active circuitry, then it can use power from the Reactor instead of the KPD since we don't need to be as fast/agile in space.

Targeting
Crystal Optics - We finally design Crystal Optics, using our experience with Crystal + the Crystalworks to make a form of crystal that greatly magnifies things behind it. We put this all over the cockpit to allow for the crew to be able to get limited sight and targeting on the ground. It won't be perfect (yet) of course, but it should definitely work.
Enemy Targetting (Not a component) - Moskurger artillery nests, large troop emplacements, forts, bases, castles, cities, farms, fleets, and perhaps their bigger airships, should be able to be targeted to varying degrees of efficiency. Basically anything "big". Should of course be combined with daily-ish orders from Command. We can also finally make blind-flares useful, as the extra brightness should make them visible to the Oracle so troops on the ground can use them to summon orbital strikes.

Expense - Logically, on a "normal" roll, the Oracle should just be Expensive as it shouldn't be adding anything more expensive to the Lightning and is even decreasing armor, and is made by the Crystalworks. But I probably won't complain any expense this gets. Because it's a spacecraft. In a magic-based Arms Race.

TL;DR - Modify the Lightning to go into space, give it Crystal Optics + a HC1-E, then annihilate Moskurg from above. This is actually much simpler than I thought it'd be.
Space.

DESIGN

0 - Living Cloud:
1 - ASAF-O47 "Oracle": Chiefwaffles

So my plan is to basically just design the Oracle then use up both revisions probably fixing it. Because regardless of how simple a spacecraft is, if it's a spacecraft, evicted's probably not going to go too lenient with us.

If we don't have to use the revisions to fix it (which is a very reasonable chance), then I think we should look into better targeting/communication for the Oracle and/or fix the Protector.

EDIT:
It would also ne a good idea to revise the Lightning turret - make it super fast and KPD rotating so it's much better at tracking.
Lucky Strike I still think we should wait in until we have more things to use Lucky Strike with.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:38:27 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: August 11, 2017, 11:18:40 pm »

I'm going to revive the old manticore design here. Mobile artillery is a huge thing, and could be useful with all sorts of stuff.
I'll write up a new design soon enough to incorporate the newest advances.

The revision should either be to make the lightning's turret powered and maneuverable, or make the R1 use full clips instead of single action.

I would also support a design using the enemy's lucky strike we stole.

As it is now effecting the team as a whole, I'm going to give fair warning to CW and RAM. If you get salty again, the team as a whole will shut you down. Just don't.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: August 11, 2017, 11:43:45 pm »

AS PAW46
Pierceball Artillery Wand

Cannons are shit. They're large, heavy, you can only reload them so quickly, they take an enormous amount of energy just to fire a projectile, and more.

To replace them is a large (but certainly smaller than a HA1) wand-like device that uses circuits to shoot a Powerful Blastball variant called the Pierceball. The Pierceball is like the Powerful Blastball except it has enough range to hit anything Moskurg has and it focuses its energy forwards, allowing it to pierce armour just like a Blastshell.

The advantages are many and numerous:
- Increased accuracy. Random accuracy loss due to the propellant explosion, rifle variations, recoil, and projectile aerodynamics are no longer factors.
- Lower energy costs. It takes three Blastballs in order to propel a shell - which has the payload of a Blastball - to the range that it does. The PAW, on the other hand, does not need to spend energy propelling mass and it uses the Long range that already comes with Blastballs to reduce energy costs further. It will not need to cast a single additional Blastball to deliver a payload of a Blastshell.
- Faster reloading. HA1s need you to eject and put in shells, possibly retargetting to account for recoil. There's no need to do anything more than connect the PAW46, giving it a rate of fire as fast as you can supply it with magical energy. Give one enough energy and it could do fully automatic fire with zero recoil.
- Increased reliability. The PAW46 has no moving parts and there is not a single part of it that inherently requires something inside it to explode.
- Lower size/weight and increased portability. Self-explanatory. Should give us a great edge in the Mountains. It also makes it faster to set up, giving them greater tactical flexibility and potential.
- No ammunition! Aside from the magic energy cost, the PAW requires no ammunition whatsoever. A single reactor or aethergem could potentially power it on its own. This will do great wonders for our vehicular future and infantry firearms, to say nothing of what it does for our logistics.
- Easy design. It is essentially a large crystal wand with circuitry that shoots longer-ranged, focused Powerful Blastballs. It is a very easy design, using technologies in no new ways and advancing in an area we have an extreme amount of experience in.

tl;dr. A large crystal wand with circuitry that shoots a variant of Powerful Blastballs called Pierceballs that can pierce armour as well as Blastshells at such a range that it can hit anything Moskurg has. Objectively significantly better than the HA1 in all ways and super easy to design.

DESIGN

0 - Living Cloud:
1 - AS PAW46: Andres

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:54:19 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: August 11, 2017, 11:58:30 pm »

As it is now effecting the team as a whole, I'm going to give fair warning to CW and RAM. If you get salty again, the team as a whole will shut you down. Just don't.
Completely unnecessary. It has already been discussed. I don't need an extra warning from you, and I'm sure RAM doesn't either.

I just don't get the Manticore, honestly.
If you want a mobile HA1, revise the train to have HA1 wagons or revise the Protector to fix it and/or add a HA1. The Manticore feels like it's just wasting a design on a revision. Though the idea of mobile artillery is fine in my eyes. Just not using a design on it. Besides, their artillery is already mobile. And airborne. And really fast. And roughly three range units longer-ranged than the HA1. If we try wheeling our artillery up, powered or not, they can just move their artillery back. While still firing at us and the artillery.

Putting a clip in the AS-R1 seems like just a worse version of any form of crystal summoning. We have magic, let's use it instead of just needlessly forcing ourselves to go by the same technological path taken in the real world.

And Lucky Strike, again - it wouldn't be of benefit to us. Lucky Strike isn't "miracle strike". It won't help the Lightning at all, as the turret just can't track the faster-moving targets fast enough and Lucky Strike doesn't fix that. Our artillery wouldn't be helped because Lucky Strike doesn't magically increase the range of projectiles either.

EDIT:

Andres:
Quote from: Chiefwaffles (Discord)
Chiefwaffles - Today at 9:50 PM
Also @evictedSaint Can I get a definitive answer on the "Blastballs V. Armor" question? Based on either testing it against Moskurg armor or just our experiences engineering our crystal to tolerate Blastballs, do we know how well Blastballs would fare against Moskurg armored designs?
Even a simple "I'm not willing to tell you" would suffice

Quote from: evictedSaint (Discord)
evictedSaint - Today at 10:19 PM
it's not effective
it's the difference between lighting off a bunch of gunpowder vs lighting off a bunch of gunpowder wrapped in metal shrapnel
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:27:23 am by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: August 12, 2017, 01:08:12 am »

We need to reserve a revision for the powered turret

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: August 12, 2017, 01:51:28 am »

Please link to the manticore. I do not recall the specifics.

I believe that the oracle has too many flaws to be viable as proposed.
Spoiler: suggestions (click to show/hide)
It could be a good thing, but we are nowhere near ready, and its utility against their mobile forces is somewhat limited.

I do not rightly understand why setting off gunpowder next to an airship would fail to damage it, there ought to be relatively loose components and it has no heavy objects to brace itself against, and a volume of gunpowder sufficient to generate an explosion large enough to spread over a squad of one hundred men is not exactly healthy, even for materiel, but that should not be a problem. We have spent 4 actions on a sustained, directed explosion. We can probably adjust the spread so that it is somewhat similar to a shaped-charge. I would not expect full shaped-charge efficiency on the first attempt, but it should be possible to get something more effective against armour than what we currently have.
I also worry that it would be very difficult to get much range out of it. I proposed a few range-enhancing magics ages ago, but none made the cut... It might go beyond medium, but that, I expect would be it. So this would be a short-range option that would likely never replace long-range cannons. That said, It would likely be a wonderful technology for our aircraft. Especially if it could manage some sort of parallel-casting apparatus that could charge up for a few minutes and then unleash a few dozen in the span of a couple of seconds with zero recoil... We could probably do that with multiple parallel circuits or using the channelled fog/K.P.D.1 rapid-casting magic and a few dedicated batteries to hold the charge.

I support a principal of never referring to other players. So long as we don't say "this idea is wrong because someone is just making things up" or "this idea is wrong because someone is only opposing it because they have a personal problem with someone else" or "this idea is wrong because someone doesn't understand the subject" then it should negate direct personal issues, and such things really have no bearing upon whether or not an idea is sound. And it ought to be pretty easy to quote examples of repeating points if there is a circular argument. I feel repeat arguments are permissible if the topic repeats. If someone says "whales can fly" and someone replies "I am not familiar with any species of whales that can fly and thus do not believe that they exist", then it is fine to repeat yourself if there is a subsequent proposal that works due to "being just like real flying whales" because the new proposal has been unchallenged and people can't be expected to recall every argument for every proposal that has occurred. But repeated arguments against the same proposal should be fair game for condemnation.

I'm just sending this via PM to avoid polluting the thread.
Not that it would have worked, for reasons stated later, but it was completely impossible to have any form of discourse considering that.
User 'Chiefwaffles' has blocked your personal message.
It seems painfully obvious that this would either be completely meaningless as a one-sided conversation or get into the thread. Given that you actually sent it, I assume that you believed it to have meaning, and thus assume that you want it in the thread. But I am happy to admit that I could be wrong. If you wish to discuss the merits of saying things that you believe to be meaningless, or the meaningfulness of completely one-sided conversations, in public, so that everyone can know the circumstances, then that is fine by me.
So you said this in the thread -
I support a principal of never referring to other players. So long as we don't say "this idea is wrong because someone is just making things up" or "this idea is wrong because someone is only opposing it because they have a personal problem with someone else" or "this idea is wrong because someone doesn't understand the subject" then it should negate direct personal issues, and such things really have no bearing upon whether or not an idea is sound. And it ought to be pretty easy to quote examples of repeating points if there is a circular argument. I feel repeat arguments are permissible if the topic repeats. If someone says "whales can fly" and someone replies "I am not familiar with any species of whales that can fly and thus do not believe that they exist", then it is fine to repeat yourself if there is a subsequent proposal that works due to "being just like real flying whales" because the new proposal has been unchallenged and people can't be expected to recall every argument for every proposal that has occurred. But repeated arguments against the same proposal should be fair game for condemnation.

The problem with this is simple: This hasn't worked in the past. You've critiqued my designs numerous times without directly referring to me, but it still ends up with the same exact thing every time. You critique my design, I defend it by refuting your points, and it's just a whole cycle as we both get madder. It doesn't work.

It's better to just tread more lightly when it comes to responding to/reading each other's posts. Critiquing is fine of course since it'd be pretty stupid if we couldn't talk about each other's designs, but just... tread lightly. Try to be more concise. You state your point, I state mine, and that's it. We should both try to avoid having the last word.
So, as I was going to say in private.
If you want to discus policy then you will have to take it to the thread. It is not a private forum and thus it is not up to me or you to dictate policy.
Such a conversation would be, in my opinion, extremely rude to everyone else. I have rather a fondness for the truth, however, so setting up secret rules and not telling anyone looks like a problem to me, and thus I acknowledge that others who prefer a bit more tact might disagree. I cannot speak for them, however, so I can't appreciably take their perspective into consideration.

But seeing as it has become a public matter, I may as well cite what is wrong with the proposed alternative ruleset. When someone says "by making a boat shaped like a whale it can fly, because whales can fly" and this is cited as wrong because "whales have been extensively recorded and there is no reference to them flying. Sure, they can jump a bit, but definitely no extended unaided flight", and the response is "but whales are birds, and birds can fly" then one responds "whales are mammals, birds are birds, these are mutually exclusive categories, and even if they weren't, just because some birds can fly doesn't mean that all of them can. There are no records of whales flying, whales do not fly." then it is clear that the last response was necessary due to the inaccuracy of the penultimate. Now, obviously, if the penultimate statement was accurate, then the final statement will be incorrect, and that is a matter of what each person believes, but if the statement goes from "whales can fly" to "but whales really can fly" then one will be compelled to bolster their statement of "whales can't fly". And then someone posts proof that someone has genetically engineered something that qualifies as a whale and is capable of extended unaided flight and we are stuck with "huh? I guess they really can fly, but that still is not exactly relevant to a boat shaped like a hump-back suddenly being buoyant in sea-level air-pressure".

Now, obviously, if I am saying it, then I think that I am saying "whales can't fly". Nobody honestly believes that they are saying "the whale body-shape inherently conveys flight" unless they think that they can gain advantage by convincing others that it is true, or are trolling. But just "you can make and argument, then the original proposer can make a counter-argument and it arbitrarily ends with that." doesn't work because if an argument is free to go completely unchallenged then it is free to be as misleading as it likes.

Honestly, people should be grateful for criticism. If we could set aside the personal pride and just argue the statements in isolation then criticism is an opportunity to either refine a design and submit an improved version, or counter to criticism and defend your design from challenges that you otherwise would not have been aware of. I would love= well, I am not immune to pride, but I would appreciate it if my ideas were criticised with as much cohesion as I offer. That one instance of "just going to leave the pendulum rocket fallacy here" which, given context, and a complete lack of explanation, reeks of snide remark, was actually helpful. I had been humming-and-hawing over various solutions to the problem(And wasn't familiar with it as an official concept) but was distracted and forgot to resolve it, along with being generally tired of the proposal by then and rushing the end. So it was absolutely correct that the design I had submitted was flawed and so I fixed it. As it stands, the "Oracle" is, as far as I can tell, a very very very long way from working. I have made a significant effort to be constructive in my criticism of it. I honestly can't see how it is supposed to deal with CO2 poisoning and I cannot see how it keeps summoning new, permanent air, and never builds up the pressure to crush people. As far as I can tell it is adding to a sealed space and that means more pressure. It is adding oxygen to a closed system and that won't keep people breathing because a lack of oxygen won't be the first thing that would kill them. If I am wrong about this then you get to demonstrate as much so that the G.M. won't hit you with it later, if I think that you are wrong about why I am wrong then I get to say that because it is possible to be wrong in two different ways about the same thing and if that is the case then you are better off knowing so that you can do something about it. If I am correct then wouldn't you rather know about it so that you can submit something that actually works, rather than something that won't work if you realise something about it.

So I feel that, for the good of the integrity of our designs, people always be free to state if they see a problem in a design. And if they feel that their criticism is still relevant after a response to it, then they can cite why they feel that the response was insufficient. People should refrain from making interpersonal observations because personalities don't affect whether a design is good. "Even a broken clock is correct twice a day"... If you feel that you are under unusual amounts of scrutiny, then be thankful that it is coming from a player who you are free to disagree with instead of the G.M. who nerfed your design for something that you didn't see coming. People should avoid cluttering the thread. Repeating the same argument to the same argument is a definite problem, so no to that, even if it can sometimes be valid, but stifling constructive criticism is not a good thing.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:40:48 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: August 12, 2017, 02:40:58 am »

A lot of your problems seem to be "this isn't good enough", which, in a way, I agree with. The Oracle is by design very imperfect. But this is intentional, and I'll describe why later.

Spoiler: The Hull (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Air Supply (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Propulsion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Crystal Optics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Armament (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aiming (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Suggestions (click to show/hide)

Again - the majority of your problems seem to be to me that the Oracle is very imperfect, and it is, but I think it should be.
Because I just don't think we have the time to perfect every single system going into the Oracle - the optics, the weapons, everything. I think we're better off designing the Oracle then revising it or designing new spacecraft/weapons/etc. to take advantage of what we learn or do with the Oracle.

For example, see Moskurg. They started winning when they deployed carpets. Carpets. Completely unarmored, much slower than they are now, and I think more expensive. Carpets weren't perfect in any way, but they still let Moskurg win. Because it was a new aspect of warfare.

Unfortunately, we don't have any more "conventional" aspects of war to introduce to force Moskurg on their back feet. So we have to be inventive. Space may not be used in the modern world (yet), but it'd be ridiciously effective. Even if the Oracle hits 1% of the time, is slow, has bad weaponry, and has to make constant return trips, it'll still be effective.
Because it's a new part of warfare. Moskurg won't be able to do anything as they're sniped from orbit. Then we can improve while Moskurg struggles to catch up

TL;DR: The Oracle definitely isn't perfect, but as long as it works with its central idea of "go to space; shoot at Moskurg", it should be huge. Remember when Moskurg started winning when they made unarmored relatively-slow flying carpets? We'd be bringing the "new realm of warfare" to a whole 'nother level. But we're running out of time and I just don't think we can afford to make the independent systems good enough beforehand.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:45:45 am by Chiefwaffles »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: August 12, 2017, 03:56:56 am »

Modified my BAW design into the PAW design. It's the same except it has the armour-piercing capability of a Blastshell. It is now definitely superior to the HA1 in every single way while still being easy to design and will revolutionise our offensive capabilities.

Chiefwaffles, if you want a space weapon, vote for the PAW. The recoilless, massless, infinite ammo nature of the PAW will help greatly with any space-based weapon. Consider it a prerequisite tech.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: August 12, 2017, 04:37:57 am »

I've made a new variant of the Oracle, based on RAM's feedback.

It incorporates a new (smaller) hull, is only manned by 1-person, and instead of lugging a HC1-E + ammo to space, it simply brings along a modified crystal fabricator to summon super-heavy crystal rods to drop down to Earth. I've separated the Oracle into two subcategories - variant A and variant B. I actually kind of prefer Variant B but am voting for both variants for now.

More feedback is definitely appreciated.

Design: ASAF-O47 "Oracle" (Variant B)

Space.
The realm beyond ours. For centuries, Arstotzka's researchers have wondered about the possibilities that lie beyond the veil of our skies, but it was only with the advent of magic that interest started to garner. And now, with the KPD, space may soon be ours. The O46 (Orbiter 947) Oracle will be the vehicle to reach space. It may not be easy, but it's possible.

Spoiler: Fluff (click to show/hide)

Hull - A reactor above a small crystal-glass (and crystal optic - get to that later) cabin housing the pilot, controls, and weapon. Armor should be minimal.
Weapon - A single stolen Crystalworks Mk. 2 fabricator modified to produce an extremely dense form of crystal deemed "weighite". The fabricator summons a Weightite crystal rod in a chamber which is then fired with a Blastball. Aimed by simply maneuvering the Oracle, and the rod should gain the extreme majority of its velocity from gravity as it falls down. Should have devastating impacts due to speed+weight once it hits its target. Rate of fire is lower-priority to preserve time+effort.

Atmosphere
Atmosphere Regulation Circuits - The Fireball, a spell we've mastered, is basically just "gas mix + energy". We take out the "energy" part, tweak the gas mix, then make a passive circuit like cooling circuits to keep a certain gas mix. Combine with cooling circuitry and bam, we can keep the atmosphere of any space regulated.
Vacuum KPD - Apply the ARC here to keep a bare gas mix for the KPD to operate in. Should still be passive since we need a simpler gas mix + smaller volume even if the KPD does increase the strain, but if we have to make it active circuitry, then it can use power from the Reactor instead of the KPD since we don't need to be as fast/agile in space.

Targeting
Crystal Optics - We finally design Crystal Optics, using our experience with Crystal + the Crystalworks to make a form of crystal that greatly magnifies things behind it. We put this all over the cockpit to allow for the crew to be able to get limited sight and targeting on the ground. It won't be perfect (yet) of course, but it should definitely work.
Enemy Targetting (Not a component) - Moskurger artillery nests, large troop emplacements, forts, bases, castles, cities, farms, fleets, and perhaps their bigger airships, should be able to be targeted to varying degrees of efficiency. Basically anything "big". Should of course be combined with daily-ish orders from Command. We can also finally make blind-flares useful, as the extra brightness should make them visible to the Oracle so troops on the ground can use them to summon orbital strikes.

Expense - Logically, on a "normal" roll, the Oracle should just be Expensive as it shouldn't be adding anything more expensive to the Lightning and is even decreasing armor, and is made by the Crystalworks. But I probably won't complain any expense this gets. Because it's a spacecraft. In a magic-based Arms Race.

TL;DR - Modify the Lightning to go into space, give it Crystal Optics + a HC1-E, then annihilate Moskurg from above. This is actually much simpler than I thought it'd be.
Space.

DESIGN

0 - Living Cloud:
    1 - Oracle Variant A: Chiefwaffles
    1 - Oracle Variant B: Chiefwaffles

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: August 12, 2017, 05:16:06 am »

Still posting this after ninja because, meh... Likely still relevant. And I still don't know how the P.A.W. can get that much range. I mean, I guess we could just throw more power into it and it goes further?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Conventional fields include guided missile submarines, commandos, merchant shipping, fixed defences(landmines), chemical/biological weapons... Not that I want conventional fields. We could open up magical fields, like incorporeal forces or weather suppression or city-sized force-fields or region-wide background effects. The most effective game-changers have been antimagic(we were crippled twice by hard counters from that) and frost towers(change the world with magic!). We could still deny them the sky and gain more than trying to compete with them in air-power.

I honestly believe that Oracle is about three designs away from functioning as a space-design. It might act as a downward-firing high-altitude lightning in the meantime, but that is not what is being advertised and it is not what is being built. Honestly, if you want that then you should go for that. If it can still see the target then a gun might work against airships and be too high to retaliate against with their current arsenal. I still feel that its operational time would be too short to be ground-breaking, but it might be useful. It might cripple their long-ranged artillery for a turn before they design something to counter it? It would be a stepping-stone that could contribute. It could have an air-system that operated with a small outlet vent and constant air generation, which would not work in space but would be a stepping stone. The gun would be useless from space, but, ehh, It can probably cover 3 or 4 kilometres straight down and still be effective. I really am not versed in how long it takes for drag to slow a bullet. It is probably a pretty simple bullet velocity + drag acceleration + gravity acceleration situation, but I don't care to go into specific, I just know that your bullet will slow down as it travels, even going straight down, provided that the air is thick enough, and it probably will be thick enough until about 20 kilometres up. But if we do that then they will probably pull up an atmospheric spell and fly around half-naked in temperature controlled spheres of breathable air. (Have I mentioned how irritating it is that they got perfect temperature control in what feels like a revision when it is sort of our thing? We should totally beat them at wind spells...)

I am unclear how the P.A.W. can get that range. It seems to be fundamentally a spell and thus far spells have all had a maximum range. As far as I can tell, they just go a certain distance and then stop... they just pulled out the B.L.O.S.+1 gun and we have medium-range fireballs?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: August 12, 2017, 05:32:09 am »

Oh yeah, no, their temperature control is extremely annoying and I still maintain that it's extraordinarily OP.
I mean, seriously. We spend an extreme amount of effort into cold magic and fireballs and Evicted gives them a material that is immune to heat. Not heat resistant, not insulating, but immune to heat. With perfect temperature control! And we spent a while on temperature control and I don't even think it's nearly as good as their armor is.
But whatever. Evicted's already said no to changing it.

I think you're putting a bit too much stock on the atmospheric thing, RAM. Think about it -

Or in other words:
We have absolute mastery over the fireball (as evidenced by our insane fireball-related design bonuses).
So instead of making a Fireball spell that says "Shoot this ball of very specific gases at someone and give it energy to make it flame!", we make a spell that says "Keep this area at a very specific gas." Not trivial, but it's being given proper attention in the Oracle design.

And regarding cloud cover:

Moskurg hasn't prepared cloud cover for this - they've invested their wind magic to disrupt our shells directly instead of hiding their forces. That and the Oracle's main targets should be out of the range of Moskurg's combat spells that coincidentally have cloud covers. Yeah, there's a good chance that Moskurg will do something like cloud covers if we go with the Oracle, but we should be investing in better sighting tech by then regardless. Like your magic-based detection, Andrea's/my lucky strike-based stuff, etc.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: August 12, 2017, 10:21:20 am »

Oh hey space.

DESIGN

0 - Living Cloud:
Variable - ASAF-O47 "Oracle": Chiefwaffles
    1 - Oracle Variant A: Chiefwaffles
    2 - Oracle Variant B: Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: August 12, 2017, 12:59:59 pm »

Blastwave

A variant on the fire wall using our force/blast creation knowledge.  A line of energy is created in a wall like configuration which then flies out in a wave horizontally to wherever it was created, in the sky or close to the ground.  Where ever the energy hits something it explodes out into a rolling blast of force that will shred whatever is hit.  The spell is maintained and anchored by the caster constantly, allowing it to reach extreme distances.  Even if it hits an anti magic field the effect will keep going forward for a long way, even if new magic can not be pumped in.

It is like a firewall, that flies towards you, form a great distance, and when it hits tears whatever is hit to pieces.

Rocket shell

The rocket shell is a new generation of extreme range projectile based on the Lightning, designed for the HA1 or Mundane.  At it's core it has a miniaturized magic generator and a directional thrust blastball effect to propel it forward.  Damage to the core, such as from impacting a target, causes an explosion like the older version of the generators.  The main part of the shell is still made of iron, but has been shaped to fly through the air more accurately.

The shell has a timer built in to tell the magic generator when to shut off, it can theoretically stay on forever.  The blast effect should be strong enough to keep the shell at maximum muzzle velocity throughout the flight.  All circuits are hardened against anti magic.

My plan would be to then put a modified lucky strike on the rocket shell... then a modified manual flight version of lucky strike.  Hit them with rockets.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: August 12, 2017, 01:10:38 pm »

Just the rocket shell would seem a revision to me. I would say add an embedded lucky strike, lets move toward missiles.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: August 12, 2017, 01:14:23 pm »

I was honestly trying to be conservative with both of those, adding lucky strike in directly was part of my original plan.

My master plan for the blastwave was to have it mounted on the lightning and our IFVs as an alternate weapon with a dedicated generator and just be constantly shooting out walls of death at the enemy at all heights.  Then make a defensive version that is just a massive explosion dome/sphere around our vehicles constantly.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 301