Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 375669 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #4215 on: August 14, 2017, 10:41:42 am »

Whatever gets us lucky strike to work with as a component.

Quote from: Designs
0 - Living Cloud:
Variable - ASAF-O47 "Oracle": Chiefwaffles
    1 - Oracle Variant A: Chiefwaffles
    1 - Oracle Variant B: Chiefwaffles
2 - AS PAW46: Andres, Lightforger
4 - AS-OGS47 "TrueStrike": Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist, helmacon, voidslayer

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4216 on: August 14, 2017, 01:05:52 pm »

I want the space thing.

0 - Living Cloud:
    1 - Oracle Variant A: Chiefwaffles,gwolfsk
    2 - Oracle Variant B: Chiefwaffles,
4 - AS-OGS47 "TrueStrike": Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist, helmacon, voidslayer
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: August 14, 2017, 04:09:39 pm »

0 - Living Cloud:
    1 - Oracle Variant A: Chiefwaffles,gwolfsk
    2 - Oracle Variant B: Chiefwaffles,
5 - AS-OGS47 "TrueStrike": Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist, helmacon, voidslayer, Kadzar
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4218 on: August 14, 2017, 04:54:31 pm »

I messed up the quotes last itme, this is fixed:

0 - Living Cloud:
    1 - Oracle Variant A: Chiefwaffles,
    2 - Oracle Variant B: Chiefwaffles, Gwolfski
5 - AS-OGS47 "TrueStrike": Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist, helmacon, voidslayer,
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: August 14, 2017, 05:13:20 pm »

I would recommend removing the coregem and using the propulsion as-is with no modification. Also I would be hesitant to implement the thing due to increased power draw, but if it really can guarantee hits against deflection-shielded targets then the reduced rate of fire would be worth it. Then again, if it can do that then it is a hard-counter to all their deflection magics...

0 - Living Cloud:
    1 - Oracle Variant A: Chiefwaffles
    2 - Oracle Variant B: Chiefwaffles, gwolfsk
0 - Blastwave:
1 - Rocket shell: RAM
0 - Light Beam:
5 - AS-OGS47 "TrueStrike": Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist, helmacon, voidslayer, Kadzar
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: August 14, 2017, 05:14:33 pm »

Design rolls in a couple hours or so.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: August 14, 2017, 05:38:04 pm »

-snip-

I also dislike true strike, but I don't have the time to write an alternative. If you were to write a more general usage of lucky strike, I would likely vote for it.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: August 14, 2017, 05:59:45 pm »

Well, we do get two revisions per turn for now on, so fixing it shouldn't be too hard if it fails.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: August 14, 2017, 06:09:27 pm »

Prosperity Pebble
A derivative of the antimagic charm/aethergem, this charm continuously accumulates magic and focuses it into pure luck derived from the Lucky Strike spell, much as an antimagic charm generates sound. This makes an aura of good forune around the wearer that constantly makes them more successful in everything that they do and allows them to naturally evade harm and failure. We expect this to aid in aiming, survival, sneaking, choosing between possible enemy troop movements... everything really.

This relies upon luck being an actual thing, rather than lucky strike being a pure divination effect with no actual luck involved. And it is as general-purpose as I could think of.

Lucky Lens
This is a somewhat magnified lens on a tube that can be affixed to a gun, near to its firing chamber. By invoking the circuit, the viewer links the spell to themselves and allows the spell to focus on whatever the viewer is trying to hit. The lens then projects a vision using a flare spell onto the lens, depicting where the chosen target will be from the viewers perspective when the bullet would reach the same distance as them should they make the decision to fire at that moment.

Making a lens is not crazily easy, but we have good crystal engineering and there are no requirements on it beyond any magnification at all, so that should not be a big detractor and might get us beginning lensing. Flare spells and circuitry are well established, so making an image shouldn't be much trouble. The whole of the output is the image, so it is a simple operation at that end. And the rest is prediction, which seems to be what lucky strike does?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: August 14, 2017, 06:16:18 pm »

I don't understand what the OGS47 is. Is it some kind of rectangular piece of crystal you nail onto a gun? Some kind of circuit rune? An external engine with an effect field?

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: August 14, 2017, 06:23:17 pm »

The exact specifics in its form doesn't really matter. I'm leaving it up to evicted and the rolls primarily. Ultimately, it's intended to just be a small component added to our existing guns and integrated in our future weapons. How exactly its added is something for evicted to decide.

But yeah, it's meant to be an upgrade to our weapons in general. Though stuff like the HA1 may take modification (because I think you have to move the entire HA1 to aim it), and we'll see how our luck turns out in terms of its immediate application.
Worst case scenario in application, we get the tech but we don't get it on any of our guns. This is fine because we'd be revising the Lightning turret anyways and can just throw it in that revision. And until we get functional artillery again the lightning turret is really the only place where its application actually matters.
Best case scenario, it immediately applies to every gun we have. In which case, great.

Mostly I'm just trying to be a little less micromanage-y in my designs, for everyone's sake.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: August 14, 2017, 07:05:11 pm »

@ RAM

I'd be willing to vote for either, though I think the first would be more likely to work out better. Actually, yea. Go ahead and add my vote to the prosperity pebble.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: August 14, 2017, 09:51:06 pm »

Design: TrueStrike [4, 1, 6]

Neglecting the "numbers and letters" style of naming, TrueStrike remains true to its origins as a Moskurg-derived spell.  This upsets numerous generals and commanders, but the name has been chosen and will thus stick.

TrueStrike is mainly a derivative of Lucky Strike, a Moskurg spell in which the projectiles are "blessed" upon firing, letting them strike truer against foriegn targets.  The spell is particularly effective against stationary or slow-moving targets, as the spell seems like a derivation of "Divining" magic, which predicts where the target is likely to be.

The spellwork is...a mess.  Desciphering the spell alone was an arduous task, requiring length translation from Moskurg to Arstotzkan.  The spell doesn't follow the rigid "line-by-line" method of spell-weaving as we do, instead relying heavily on what seems to be...poetry?  The lines make no sense, and seem to coincide in the right places by utter chance.  Entire segments of the spell seem to do absolutely nothing, but are crucial for it to function.  Most annoying is a particular cornerstone of the spell in which the user must loudly praise the Southerner's God in order to properly direct the threads of magic through the spell.

Despite our best efforts, we could not remove that particular bit.

Eventually, we manage to distill the spell down to a module, requiring a golden scroll, a D-level Aethergem, and silver etchings - along with the usual copper scroll, anti-anti-magic circuits, and anti-mage sequencing gems.  This can be socketed into an R1 to gift the spell to the weapons projectiles, which boosts the accuracy from Medium Range all the way out to Extreme Range.

We were unfortunately unable to hook the spell up to automatically fire the gun for the user, but the user should see remarkable improvement to their aim at all distances.  National Effort.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: August 14, 2017, 10:17:37 pm »

Ugh.
National Effort, only for the R1, and it's just Lucky Strike. I mean, disregarding expense it's actually really useful, but National Effort on something like this just makes it effectively useless. I really do wish we could stop getting such awful rolls. A 4/6 on Effectiveness/Bugs is nice, but just isn't useful with a 1 on Expense.

I guess we're better off just discarding this design while being happy we have our own version of Lucky Strike to work off of for future designs. I definitely don't think the Expense credit is worth it quite yet.
imagine what we could have done with those rolls on the Oracle.

But I've asked evicted and it seems like basically what we did here was just decipher Lucky Strike. Most of the effort went into doing that, at least.

This feels necessary:
Revision: Powered Lightning Turrets (MKPD)

We create a radically downscaled version of the KPD4, deemed "MKPD" - the "M" standing for "Miniature". The difference in scale should be so great that the MKPD should have an almost negligible power draw.
Then we put a MKPD in the Lightning turret, hook it up to the power input, and put the controls along with a seat in the center of the turret for the gunner.

This should allow for the Lightning's turret to very easily and quickly track targets of any speed as the turret can be very quickly rotated using the controls inside by the gunner.

This one could be considered a stretch, but all we're doing is just ripping out the useful part of TrueStrike and wiring it to a known type of crystal.
Revision: Mageglass Targeting Suite
Note: "Mageglass" = "Reactive Crystal Glass" = That crystal glass we use to make Magegems.

The idea here is simple - take out a component from TrueStrike and make it its own device as to avoid the typical Moskurger kludges holding us back with TrueStrike.

Spoiler: Fluff (click to show/hide)

The Mageglass Targetting Suite should be applied to the Lightning Turret first, and Combat Armor visors second.

TL;DR: Take TrueStrike, rip out "divination", and wire it to Mageglass (the special-ish Crystal Glass we use to make Magegems) in order to highlight targets. Should be much cheaper since we don't have to actually bless the projectiles, which one would assume to be the hard part. (After all, you have to "program" each projectile with the destination, have it actually be "guided" there, continue updating on target, etc. etc.).

Chances are we're probably just going to do one revision at a time, though I'm putting both in the Votebox since I, personally, would like to get it over with quicker.
REVISION 1
1 - Powered Lightning Turrets: Chiefwaffles

REVISION 2
1 - Mageglass Targetting Suite: Chiefwaffles
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: August 14, 2017, 11:34:45 pm »

The average net total from three 6-sided dice is ten-and-a-half. A net total of eleven is, well, mostly unremarkable, decent, moderate, and various other terms to describe something that has no defining features to put into a description, but it is nearer to good than it is to bad and "awful" is right out.

Also, cost is generally regarded as the best feature to roll badly on. Effectiveness tends to discern if it functions at all. Bugs tend to bring you to the realm of doing more harm than good, expense means that you have a thing that helps, but you want more of it. So I would actually consider this to be a solidly good roll. I mean, better if it had been 6+1+4 but 4+1+6 is still nice.

Honestly, for our first spell in a completely new school, this is pretty good, I might have liked a bit more considering that we invested an espionage in it, but I can easily see this as the result of flying too high and getting melted aviation peripherals(M.A.P.s).

Glowy Glazing for Gaudy Gazing.
Light-Amplifying Material Plates

A circuit, ideally with the ability to be toggled on and off, perhaps using some very simply peg that completes the circuit and can be produced in redundant quantities, but the engineers are(as always) free to use their own initiative that activates a highly modified flare spell. This works similar to our temperature circuits, but instead acts upon a refined flare spell to add more light if it drops below specific levels. The difficult part of this will be that it is not intended to apply to the material, but rather to the vision that it allows. Things viewed through these clear crystals will appear as though it is ideal conditions. Given that our forces are fighting under black stormclouds, this should be a massive improvement to visibility. Ideally this would be applied to all viewing ports, prioritising our pilots but also extending to our gunners, drivers, and armoured foot-soldiers, in that order.

Getting it to apply to, and modify, light, seems very ambitious. The flare does illuminate though, and the crystals are known territory that have already proved receptive to an enchantment in the form of regeneration. It is technically just a modification to flares, continuing to use them for illumination of things. It really is a lot to ask from a revision, but I am feeling lucky! Well, a little, my luck senses are a bit rusty...

Conveyance Augmentation By Linking Entities
We take our standard circuitry, grind it up, Use it to fill cloth tubes, cover them in tar, then wrap that in leather. This ought to make a flexible "sock" that can transmit vast concentrations of magic. We run these socks through the armour of some roughly slapped-together crystals carts that contain reactors. Use some tar and a clamp to glue one of these socks to a magem and it'll keep the thing charged from the reactor's supply. We hope that these will allow our Mundanes and Crystalworks to operate much faster.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 301