Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lua implementation of manipulator (DFHack script) [v0.7.4]  (Read 26155 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Lua implementation of manipulator (DFHack script) [v0.7.4]
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 11:17:50 pm »

The plugin doesn't have one, but I could add it to this script easily enough. Would adding the indicator to the text you see when hovering over a labor header be enough, or is there a better place to add it?
(Also, should it be the number of dwarves with the labor enabled, or the number with the corresponding skill?)
Hover text is good enough, but make it for any cell in the column so you don't have to keep going back to the labor header.

IIRC, DT puts the number above/below the header, but I don't think there's space to fit well in Manipulator. Maybe there could be an option, but only if it's not too much trouble.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:04:23 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 12:36:06 pm »

Yeah, I could show the hover text in the usual place (below the column header) if you're hovering over a cell in that column. Always showing the counts below the column headers would take a couple extra rows and require displaying the numbers vertically, which would look weird.

Edit: here's what I have (I'm hovering over the stone detailing column, although you can't see my cursor):
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:49:03 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 05:14:55 am »

Is it possible to show the stress number less accurate? Something like a 3-7 colored smiley: dark red for really stressed, yellow for average, white for neutral, etc
Same for the skill level indicator. Just the skill level name without '+n' and no indication how far they're from reaching the next level.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 02:45:16 pm »

Sure, I could add another column for that pretty easily (and make it the default if displaying the full numbers takes up too much space - I think the plugin caps values at +/-99999 to address that).

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 10:57:35 am »

That would be great, thank you! Another way to reduce the space numbers take up would be to just display a 'k' instead of the last three digits.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

MC Urist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 06:41:11 pm »

I like dwarf manipulator. Using dwarf therapist and having to alt-tab constantly feels like I'm repeatedly being pulled out of the DF experience. However the one feature that keeps me using therapist instead of manipulator is that they rank a person's affinity for a skill on a scale of 1 to 100. What's the point of sorting the skills from highest to least if you don't know if they're all within 55 and 50 out of 100 or there's one guy at the top who has a 97 and everyone else is in the 40's?

Is there anyway something similar could be implemented in dwarf manipulator? Maybe when you're over a certain column to the left it'll display numbers? Or there could be a square that increases in size depending on the skill level like what Dwarf Therapist does?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »

That's what the numbers mean. For example, "5" represents a higher skill level than "2", and selecting a cell displays the corresponding skill below.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 08:31:10 pm »

I think he's talking about the Roles tab in Therapist (think that's what it's called) where, for instance, if a dwarf has a preference for barrels, it makes him a better fit for brewer.

I think people are reading more into that tab than is there. It doesn't really make that much of a difference, apart from the dwarf occasionally gets a happy thought for your effort.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 10:20:09 pm »

That's what I was guessing too, until this:

Maybe when you're over a certain column to the left it'll display numbers? Or there could be a square that increases in size depending on the skill level like what Dwarf Therapist does?

The square corresponding to skill level is what manipulator does already (except with numbers/letters).

Also, it's worth noting that this thread is for an experimental manipulator replacement I've been working on, not the plugin that's currently in DFHack (although the grid under discussion here is pretty much the same).

MC Urist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 09:02:51 pm »

Yes, I am talking about the roles tab in dwarf therapist. I thought that those roles were determined not only by a dwarves preferences, but by their attributes like strength, agility, analytical ability, and so on that are known to improve said labor. For instance, good attributes might decrease the time required and/or increase the quality of the item produced. Also it's worth noting that dwarves will produce higher quality items if that item is one of their preferences. I do not know the degree to which this happens.

I also do not know the degree which attributes affect labors, but if between two dwarves, both at skill level 0, one could potentially be faster at their labor by a factor of 2 or 3 solely due to attributes I'd say that information would be useful for the player to have at hand.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:50:02 pm by MC Urist »

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 05:01:54 pm »

Yes, I am talking about the roles tab in dwarf therapist. I thought that those roles were determined not only by a dwarves preferences, but by their attributes like strength, agility, analytical ability, and so on that are known to improve said labor. For instance, good attributes might decrease the time required and/or increase the quality of the item produced. Also it's worth noting that dwarves will produce higher quality items if that item is one of their preferences. I do not know the degree to which this happens.
That is true. It's hard to test the degree because, for instance, mining improves mining skill and strength. From my non-scientific testing, the skill level overwhelming. Strength probably matters more than, say, a fondness for pickaxes, but I don't know by how much. I have absolutely no idea whether it affects quality.

My casual test was to embark with 2 miners of level 5, then dig down 2 levels of dirt, then to the edge of the map through dirt. They both finished close to the same time, despite having different ratings for strength. There was a difference, sure, but not enough that I thought it worthwhile to bother. YMMV.

I also do not know the degree which attributes affect labors, but if between two dwarves, both at skill level 0, one could potentially be faster at their labor by a factor of 2 or 3 solely due to attributes I'd say that information would be useful for the player to have at hand.
True again. Strength makes a big difference hauling rocks or furniture or such. I've seen extremely low strength dwarves slowed to a crawl moving a rock that barely slows a strong dwarf, so in that case, it was probably greater than x3. No idea how big of an effect it would have on other labors.

Veritable geyser of ignorance, aren't I?

MC Urist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 10:05:49 am »

Then would it not be good to add a feature that informed the player of certain stats like I'm suggesting?
Pages: 1 [2]