Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with pressure plates  (Read 649 times)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems with pressure plates
« on: April 01, 2017, 07:38:53 pm »

Well this is a bit embarrassing. DF player of 2 years, i ought to have my head round pressure plates by now... Oh well, theres no fool like an old fool.

I recently abandoned my usual pumpstack approach to bringing magma up, in favour of the minecart escalator. Of course little did i realise that impulse ramps alone can't push a minecart through a 7/7 tile of magma... So my loading sluice has to be a maximum of 6/7 full of magma... Easy, I just set up a pressure plate that will trigger with 6/7 magma, link it to a bridge that controls that inflow. Everything is made of magma-proof orthoclase. Once the room is filled to 6/7 (more likely 5/7 with a few 6/7 around) the bridge will shut and the minecart can move safely through.

Only thats not what happened. After the room filled, the bridge shut. Then it opened again and shut again. Thats okay, I was expecting that. Then it opened, the room filled to 7/7 and it never shut again. And I am left mighty confused. Anyone has any idea about this? Is it definitely true that so long as the input remains on the pressure plate, it will continue to send an open signal?
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with pressure plates
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 03:08:31 am »

Pressure plates and levers do not send continuous signals. They send an "on" signal on the step they get triggered and an "off" signal on the step they reset (when the trigger condition has ceased exactly 99 steps ago). They do absolutely nothing the rest of the time.

Bridges and other delayed-reaction buildings can get "wedged" in a state not corresponding to their trigger: when a new signal arrives during the waiting delay of an action, the new signal will be ignored and only the already-lined-up older signal will "take". This is a pretty common occurrence when trying to regulate fluid height with them, since single-height fluctuations are enough to jam the building either way and are hard to prevent.
Only doors and hatches, with their zero delay, are guaranteed to be synched to their trigger.

A simple way to generate fluid of a desired height would be to build a seven-tile area and place a mechanically-operated door in one of the tiles. Fill the area to capacity, shut and open the door once. One tile of 7-high fluid is destroyed by the closing door, when it opens again, the remaining six times 7/7 fluid spread over seven tiles, giving uniform 6/7 depth everywhere. You might have to drop the cart in from above to allow filling - when entering on track, it might remain too fast to pick up fluid.

I find it preferable to use "flat ramps", i.e. ramps that allow level change without providing acceleration, for magma-filling: use a one-tile wide magma trench engraved with track right through. Since both track branches lead to the level above, no acceleration/deceleration takes place, but the cart can still change level on them. I use a simple collision system - at least two magmasafe carts, which push each other out of the magma trench and then glide into the trench, by the simple expedient of a single impulse ramp pointing into the trench (on the level above, on the "entrance" side). Quite reliable: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2733-multi-cartmagmadelivery

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 08:03:58 am »

I find it preferable to use "flat ramps", i.e. ramps that allow level change without providing acceleration, for magma-filling: use a one-tile wide magma trench engraved with track right through. Since both track branches lead to the level above, no acceleration/deceleration takes place, but the cart can still change level on them. I use a simple collision system - at least two magmasafe carts, which push each other out of the magma trench and then glide into the trench, by the simple expedient of a single impulse ramp pointing into the trench (on the level above, on the "entrance" side). Quite reliable: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2733-multi-cartmagmadelivery

Really sorry to carry on bothering but could you explain how to make flat ramps? Impulse ramps are easy but i've tried every single configuration with two adjacent downward and upward ramps (on their respective z levels) to make a flat ramp and the minecart either doesn't ascend or ascends having lost the amount of momentum you expect for a z level change.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 01:04:04 pm »

Is it literally just an impulse ramp where the output is up a z level?