Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The little creature comforts.  (Read 1881 times)

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The little creature comforts.
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 12:15:59 pm »

I prefer vertical fortresses arranged around a central 3x3 stairwell. But once things are under control, I replace the central tile with grates and route a trickle of water down the middle of the stairs. So there's a waterfall spanning the height of the fortress (in one it went from the aquifer to the top of the magma sea) and dwarves walk through the mist as they go up and down. It takes a bit of fiddling to get the flow right; too much water and dwarves cancel jobs. But it keeps them happy, and occasionally washes them. Plus if I make artifact grates I install them on levels the dwarves often visit so that they get good thoughts.

Well rooms used to be great; the dwarves spent all their time there socializing, so I put all my levers there too, and the hospital next door. Now the dwarves don't seem to socialize much - I haven't seen a party since several versions ago - but I still build a nice well room just on principle. Dirt is less a problem since I put bathtubs (3/7 water tiles) on every entrance and on the hospital doors. (Not so much a creature comfort as paranoia about contaminants; they're always engraved but that's to encourage cleaning. Usually they're the first engravings in the entire fortress.)

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 01:54:22 pm »

I know this isn't a fort creature comfort, but in World Gen. I like to make sure the humans are on their own little island, and all the other races are on one island. It is funny to see the humans party and enjoy life while the golbins murder everyone else.
To the beer!

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 03:10:57 pm »

Walls and floors strewn with vomit and blood.  Truly, nothing's more comforting than month old bodily fluids.

But really, I like to build a watch tower or two for my archers, in case a kobold or werecreature strolls by my fort

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 04:05:42 pm »

I prefer vertical fortresses arranged around a central 3x3 stairwell. But once things are under control, I replace the central tile with grates and route a trickle of water down the middle of the stairs. So there's a waterfall spanning the height of the fortress (in one it went from the aquifer to the top of the magma sea) and dwarves walk through the mist as they go up and down. It takes a bit of fiddling to get the flow right; too much water and dwarves cancel jobs. But it keeps them happy, and occasionally washes them. Plus if I make artifact grates I install them on levels the dwarves often visit so that they get good thoughts.

I also build around a 3x3 stairwell, but I channel out the central stair and leave it empty.  My forge ends up at the bottom right above the magma sea, and this lets me dump ores (and bars from the merchant) down the center of the stairs to quickly deliver them to the smelters without needing to haul them all the way down. 

Before magma splash/smoke/'mist' was a dangerous issue, I could also put a hatch cover over a channeled out bottom, clear the quantum stockpile, and use the central stair to dispose of anything that needed incineration.  Now that dropping stuff into the magma causes significant magma danger to my dwarves, I've had to develop a specialized chute for that with no access near the bottom levels.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 02:57:51 pm »

One of mine is getting my fort to have a signature food and alcohol, as it gives details for a specific cultural aesthetic. My current fort mostly eats roasts made from raw mussel, dog, rice, taro, and raw mussel. Signature drink is rice beer (read as sake).

Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 09:22:04 pm »

Dining room with an artifact is a must. Legendary dining rooms save forts. Also have to have a big area above ground for corpse stockpiles and butcher/tanning shops.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 11:41:57 pm »

Since the introduction of libraries, a fabulous library collecting the greatest works of various civilizations is a must.

I like to make sure every dwarf has a bedroom like a personal palace; notable dorfs also get dining rooms, offices, etc. Over time, I have my gemsetter(s) decorate masterful furniture to upgrade everyone's stuff.

A good, deep well is a nice thing to have. When I'm not in a rush to get it ready, I like to stockpile rare objects (masterful jewellery or weaponry, for instance) at the bottom before it's flooded. I like to think an adventurer will find it someday.

If there are bees on the map, a mead-making industry is vital. It may be low-value, but it's neat.

I never feel like my military is kitted out properly until everyone is wearing masterful, well, everything, and wielding a masterfully-made weapon.

Nature may be abhorrent, but I try to find at least one interesting local (and preferably giant) species to tame and create a horde of.

Finally, a good, solid wall, with towers on the edges, is just the thing for those cold, winter nights...listening to the sound of goblins hammering in vain on the gate and knowing that one day, soon, my mechanics will have finished their clever traps and my militia will be better-trained...
Pages: 1 [2]