Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: TWBT Next  (Read 31111 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
TWBT Next
« on: March 19, 2017, 03:58:55 pm »

I suddenly found an easy and reliable way to implement new rendering features I was thinking about for a long time. A separate thread to attract attention of tileset authors because the new features require changes to tilesets.

Features

1. Buildings and items are now rendered separately from the floor - you can notice that coffins, chairs, slabs and so on have different colours but their backgrounds stay the same, and are actual floor tiles - rough, smooth, engraved. No stockpiles on this screenshots, but you'd see stockpile tiles behind items as well.

2. Look at the beds. The bed frames have different colours depending on their material, but pillows and sheets stay the same, i.e. not all tile pixels are affected by the foreground colour.

3. Oblique view mode I showed here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.msg7390751#msg7390751 It's not available at the moment, I'll update the post later.

Tileset changes

1. Existing tilesets will continue to work as usual.

2. To support these new features, tilesets need to have three "layers":

First is used to render background colours and normally should just be white for non-empty tile pixels. This is supplied as e.g. Spacefox-bg.png
Second is the main tile image which will be coloured using foreground tile colour, can now have fully transparent pixels where floor should be visible. This is supplied as usual Spacefox.png
Third is just the pixels that won't change colour. This is supplied as Spacefox-top.png
If -bg and -top files are not available, the corresponding features will be disabled and the tileset will work as before.

Notes

1. Binaries are available from build.mifki.com. When installing, copy white1px.png and transparent1px.png to data/art folder. An example tileset based on Spacefox is included.

2. This works the same way for overrides, just supply additional -bg and -top images for each tileset used by overrides. However due to 3 times more tiles now being used and restrictions on the largest texture size, tileset authors using a lot of overrides and/or very big tile sizes need to be careful not to waste any space in tileset images, i.e. having three images with just half of the tiles actually used is bad because all tiles will still be loaded.

3. If you can't see the floor though some of the buildings/items, it's because I forgot to include them, there are quite a few of such (that is, in the code, the example tileset has just a few tiles modified to demo the new features).

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: TWBT Next
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:48:49 pm »

Increasingly impressive work

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:01:24 am »

Well, time to spend a week reworking and reorganizing Rally Ho!.
I've really been wanting these features, so I'll need to add them right away, but I'll probably have to combine so override image sets.

EDIT: Am I correct in assuming that this only applies to tilesets and not creature graphics?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:05:57 am by Rydel »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:16:45 pm »

EDIT: Am I correct in assuming that this only applies to tilesets and not creature graphics?

Yep. I tried to find a way to support creatures too last night, but no luck so far.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:38:37 pm »

white1px.png and transparent1px.png don't seem to be included (though I think I can guess their contents)
Also, would it be possible for the zip to include the folder structure?  It would make installation much simpler.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 05:51:15 pm »

white1px.png and transparent1px.png don't seem to be included (though I think I can guess their contents)

Oh, I forgot to push them to github again. http://mifki.com/a/t/white1px.png http://mifki.com/a/t/transparent1px.png

Also, would it be possible for the zip to include the folder structure?  It would make installation much simpler.

One of the reasons is that on macOS, when you copy folder structure to a location where same folders already exist, they will be overwritten, not merged. Better to copy everything manually than give users a chance to lose their saves.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 09:33:30 am »

ptw
I know a tileset I would like to see modded to utilize this.... I'll have to go put a bug in someones's ear...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 06:53:12 pm »

I seem to be encountering an issue with the new version in Windows 8.1.  When I embark on a site with TWBT on, the game crashes when leaving the "Strike the Earth" screen.  It works fine if I change the print mode to standard and has the same issue with just the curses font instead of my tileset.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 07:36:35 pm »

so this is basically the latest version of TWBT with an option to add in XX-bg.png and XX-top.png of your image file? So if the extra files aren't available it would just operate as the normal version?  I see its 43.05 now i finally downloaded it and opened it lol...

oh and just so you know your site throws certification errors on chrome:

This server could not prove that it is build.mifki.com; its security certificate is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Learn more.

lol, I trust you, but I just wanted you to know what it said.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:53:33 pm by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 02:33:41 am »

I seem to be encountering an issue with the new version in Windows 8.1.  When I embark on a site with TWBT on, the game crashes when leaving the "Strike the Earth" screen.  It works fine if I change the print mode to standard and has the same issue with just the curses font instead of my tileset.

Hm, I tested on Windows now and doesn't crash for me. Does the normal TWBT 5.77 work fine if you just copy it instead?

Did anyone else try the new version on Windows?

so this is basically the latest version of TWBT with an option to add in XX-bg.png and XX-top.png of your image file? So if the extra files aren't available it would just operate as the normal version?

It renders things a bit different way. But for end users yes the result is the same if no additional images present.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 06:09:53 pm »

TWBT 5.78 works.  It's just TWBT Next

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 07:22:13 am »

It's working in 6.11.  Thank you.

EDIT: It looks like thread, bags, and splints aren't showing the background.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:36:24 am by Rydel »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 12:52:59 am »

PTW
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 12:08:48 am »

Forgive my ignorance, but in which folder exactly am I supposed to drop the lua script?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5