Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When 64-bit Dwarf Fortress comes out  (Read 3833 times)

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
When 64-bit Dwarf Fortress comes out
« on: March 19, 2017, 07:14:37 pm »

Will that mean that a huge, extremely detailed world could be made by someone allowing huge amounts of virtual memory to be used then letting the computer run for a week?

It'd be pretty neat if someone made one and uploaded it.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When 64-bit Dwarf Fortress comes out
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 07:49:37 pm »

It's been out since last July...

And since cpu slows down the process, after a week you probably wouldn't have a much more detailed world than generating something for a day.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 07:51:34 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:52:47 am »

Someone did this and posted it btw, some ridiculous number like 11000 year history. They said they left their computer on while they were away for a few days. I remember DF crashing for me just trying to save a large 1050 year world (after taking 11 hours to gen no less). I have 8 gb of ram, doesn't x64 let it just use 4 though? How could someone get to like 10000 on large without crashing?
I like sushi.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:18:27 am »

Someone did this and posted it btw, some ridiculous number like 11000 year history. They said they left their computer on while they were away for a few days. I remember DF crashing for me just trying to save a large 1050 year world (after taking 11 hours to gen no less). I have 8 gb of ram, doesn't x64 let it just use 4 though? How could someone get to like 10000 on large without crashing?
Was that before or after 64 bit?
The point is, it doesn't crash any more when you hit 2GB.

This used to be the case because DF was 32 bit - it would crash when you hit 2GB (or 4 in Linux or with a bit of tweaking in Windows) regardless how much RAM you actually had.

The limit with 64 bit is some ridiculously large number which nobody has (and won't for many years to come).

(You might be limited to 'just' 2TB of RAM if you're a Windows user though...).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:30:50 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:07:02 am »

I found it: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/590d5d/an_unplayed_world_3505_years_old_for_you/

I got it confused with a post in the thread, someone else mentioned they tried making a 10,000-11,000 year world before the x64 version but it crashed on saving.
I like sushi.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 06:10:29 pm »

It's been out since last July...

And since cpu slows down the process, after a week you probably wouldn't have a much more detailed world than generating something for a day.
Well, it would be quite a bit faster on 64 bit in the later parts, especially once it got to the point where 32 bit crashed.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 10:36:00 pm »

Could a tiny world with a 100,000 year history be a thing?
And with very little restriction on population size and number of sites, relying on sheer carnage to keep population down.
I'd be interested in seeing if anyone could survive for 100,000 years.
Have Fun
Reclaim fort

Vitor_Goatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 09:58:19 am »

I think if we had worlds that gen for 10,000 years without crashing then Toady would finally create a section just for Legends Mode on the forum.

Because seriously....thats almost as long as human history and it would have enough information to actually be a real world. That is....if it doesn't reach the Age of Death where we have nothing left.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 03:57:28 pm »

I think if we had worlds that gen for 10,000 years without crashing then Toady would finally create a section just for Legends Mode on the forum.

Because seriously....thats almost as long as human history and it would have enough information to actually be a real world. That is....if it doesn't reach the Age of Death where we have nothing left.
Is there any reason we can't gen worlds with extra-long histories?
Is 10,000 years some sort of hard limit?
Have Fun
Reclaim fort

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 07:17:52 pm »

Main factor would be world size itself followed by the other ones. Might play with perfect world again though I mainly like 65 x 65 (a lot more z levels) even 129 x 65 the world generation slows down a fair bit. Would love to see a world where the dragons have gone up in large numbers. Though I think the main problem would mainly be the lack of ability to form new Civs as time goes by and you might only end up with one large civ or a few that are out of range of their enemies due to the site limit being reached either that or eternal peace.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 07:44:16 pm »

I've never had it crash (nor take 11 hours) with non-64 bit version pursuing a 1050 year largest-size world generation, as is my usual MO...  (Usually modified in advanced options to generate extra-large inter-cavern gaps, so I'm not exactly making it easy to create luckily-just-too-small-to-crash worlds.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 01:14:06 am »

A 64 bit processor can technically access something like exabytes (which are 1,000 petabytes, or 1,000,000 terabytes) though realistically there are numerous factors which cut that number down drastically, home computers with 8 or 16 GB are nothing out of the ordinary today but you gotta jump up to server boards to hit a terabyte of RAM or more.

Making a 10000 year pocket world is simple as it always was, running a 65x65 or larger would be where you'd hit ram related issues on a 32 bit df.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 03:04:56 pm »

Making a 10000 year pocket world is simple as it always was, running a 65x65 or larger would be where you'd hit ram related issues on a 32 bit df.

Trying to generate a 'smaller' world with 15000 year history, it has crashed twice already. Pocket world generated ok.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 03:14:46 pm »

The big piece will be multi-threading, since as the world becomes more and more "alive", larger worlds will cause more and more of a slowdown with all the stuff happening in the background. 
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 04:31:25 pm »

The big piece will be multi-threading, since as the world becomes more and more "alive", larger worlds will cause more and more of a slowdown with all the stuff happening in the background.
a) Multi-threading and 64 bit are completely different things.
b) Thousands of things slow down Fortress mode, the outside world being the least of these. As can be plainly seen when you start a new fortress in a large world after your old one succumbed to fps death.
Pages: [1] 2