Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the average generated wealth of a fortress?  (Read 1436 times)

Tablen Arue

• Bay Watcher
  • Roll the dice, the RNG god is my friend.
    • View Profile
What is the average generated wealth of a fortress?
« on: March 19, 2017, 08:39:26 pm »

So I have been playing some DF games with my friends lately and we have all been starting with high mineral occurrence maps but have drastically different wealth per fortress year (all of us are somewhat experienced fortress builders with years each playing the game but varying skill level) and I had to stop and ask how far above or below the average wealth each fortress was. For example one of the fortresses started on an island packed to the brim with precious metals, due to the fact that it is on an island far away from the coast that player decided to build EVERYTHING out of gold, tin, silver, platinum, iron, etc and soon had about 400,000 dwarf bucks by the start of year 4 of the fortress (on a 5 year world) I would assume that this would be a high scoring fortress but I don't have enough data to make the rest of a graph in order to make an average wealth per year.
You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What is the average generated wealth of a fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 08:56:56 pm »

probs lower than you think.

id say my average successful fort makes it to about a million or a half before i get bored.

i want you to remember all the forts that newbies take out or all the terrifying freezing starts that get swamped within a month
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tablen Arue

• Bay Watcher
  • Roll the dice, the RNG god is my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:00:22 pm »

I'm talking per fortress year for example:
First fortress year should be about (some low number)
Second fortress year should be about (some low number)
Fifth fortress year should be (some number larger than year one or two)

I'm also talking about people who have played the game long enough to not (always at least we ain't all perfect) die before year 5
You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:24:05 am »

With proper artifact component management, by the end of year 2 a well-managed fortress should be passed 1 million Urist in wealth I would think.  Certainly by the end of year 3.

If you dive for the magma sea and find some raw adamantine, you can easily hit 30-40 million by the end of year 5 or 6.  (Adamantine or raw-adamantine based artifacts will be in the ballpark of 1-1.5 million by themselves.  Buildable furniture double counts!  Even without adamantine, selecting high value components for artifacts can be punching towards 1 million value routinely.)

And that's without trying to maximize wealth too hard.  If I turned my forges on full blast and decorated the heck out of platinum and gold furniture and built it all, I could probably double or triple that trivially.  Also, masterwork suits of steel armor for everyone in the fortress, it's a lot of dwarf bucks in value.

My 16 year fortress is at 75 million, at least 70% of which is artifacts, with much of the remainder made up of expensive furniture for nobles, the armor and weapons of my extensive military, and the several hundred masterwork serrated steel discs in traps.  (And probably a couple million from total mechanism production...). (Consumed food and destroyed clothing don't count towards your fortress value).  I haven't particularly been working my citizens hard or trying to maximize the wealth accumulation curve.  I seem to recall having hit 30 million sometime around the year 5 mark, at which point the fortress was mostly delved, engravings were mostly done, and the megaproject I've been working on in fits and starts isn't actually worth all that much.  (After year 5 I've mostly been letting it run in the background while doing other stuff).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:54:28 pm »

Honestly there's not really a target wealth that applies to everyone. It depends on what you want to do with your fort.

Some focus on wealth generation, some build giant rock structures or otherwise-not-as-valuable megaprojects. Some might just focus on military.

Anyway I have reached 100 million+ multiple times, but that was when I liked to run long-lasting forts with hundreds of dwarves.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 03:50:38 am »

There's no average really, it's different for each player and each fort. This isn't a game about stats, so nobody really focuses on those.

I usually get a clothier and rock crafter working away pretty fast, as well as a gem cutter-setter, so my forts have usually hit 1 million by the end of the second year if we find some good rock for crafting, like obsidian, or we find tetrahydrite/silver/gold pretty fast so my metal crafter can get working too. Then my precious smith goes away hammering out dozens of copper weapons and armour, so there's even more wealth. I don't really pay attention to my wealth, aside from making sure I get nice artifacts by forbidding everything but the nicest combination of materials when the dorf gives demands.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 07:33:42 pm »

actually im excited for future updates.  not because of magic - magic has no real place in DF outside if basic or minor examples - but for the attention to items.

world gen is a whole game in if itself.

magic for necromancy, sure.
elven bs to make trees grow or to talk to squirrels?   yea
minor artifact enhancements over their constituent parts?  yup
demons doing basic offensive magic? unhunh.

but really i like how DF is about good hard action.  magic being rare and off limits to the player, and likewise most enemies and factions, is a turn on for me.

i did mod in some elf magic though, to try to make them competitive.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 12:30:18 pm »

Thankfully there'll be sliders for that. I know I'll have a heavy attraction toward mundane worlds myself.