Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: (SG)System Override:The Resistance  (Read 12266 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: (SG)System Override: the Wheels Grind
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2017, 01:53:13 pm »

Ok, the moon has an ammonia atmosphere, and is coated in frozen ammonia around a meteroic iron core.
One wheel short of a wagon

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2017, 01:59:33 pm »

There is Very little Direct animal Life on the planet, Although there are Multiple Massive zones of plant life. Multiple types of plant have developed Movement, and one type was observably carnivorous.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2017, 02:48:43 pm »

Perhaps it is far away from its sun (that is small enough) that although the air is around 50 celsius or so but the actual plant light itself is so efficient that if one were to hide underneath the massive "trees", it would get cold enough in some cases that water would freeze?

also, I'm pretty open to anyone submitting any art or things like that, I'd be happy to put them in the main post or such. I've been meaning to change the first two posts so that a glossary is put in for ease of navigation and to look more spiffy.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:51:40 pm by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2017, 08:17:02 pm »

The update is being worked on now, I think I've got enough of an idea for what humanities first home away from home will be.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2017, 05:29:53 pm »

Post 023: Theia

Colonial Vessel Theia
Command and Control Center,
2128 AD, GS 25 August 18

“Life support area showing green.”

“Engineering braced.”

“Cryonic beds reporting optimal systems report.”

“Jump Drive charge primed.”

“Commander, all systems are green, we are ready to launch.”

“Chief Engineer, Activate the Jump drive.”

The entire bridge felt a rumble, The ship's jump drive collapsing the awe-filled energies required to make the jump across stars, lasting for a whole minute, as the ship began its transition and gaining speed in the dimension of the Jump. Sensors never designed to specifically be in the warp began winding and changing, outputting useless information. The rumble died down, as the jump drive spooled all the antimatter it was given into the energies that turned the subluminal multiple-century long journey into a mere twenty-three days of travel.

Captain Heron Orlando looked around the centralized bridge area. Deck officers were scurrying about, checking every system that could be checked, with the busy work ethic that would be expected on a space vessel. As he glanced around, he smiled, the men he worked with were as efficient and busy like as they could be, and he was proud of it.

The Grand Unitarian Fleet Academy, Fleet knowledge 101
Standardized Lecture 023

Annihilation. Annihilation is what a particle of Antimatter and “regular” matter faces when they collide. By annihilating each other, Matter and Antimatter form into one “substance”, Energy. The Reaction of Antimatter and regular matter has mostly ceased to exist in the raw, extreme power that it was during the creation of the galaxy, except in the mighty chambers of the Imperial Jump Drives. Antimatter and Antimatter alone is the only substance capable of acting as a jump storage medium for the ships among the stars. No other substance yet discovered has even the remote capability of storing the mind-boggling, extreme amounts of the specific energies required for the efficient usage of the Jump Drive. Without the use of Net facilities located near black holes, neutron stars and certain gas giants and stars, the only way to gather the substance is through the use of extremely expensive and inefficient particle accelerators to gather anywhere near the amount of antimatter required to leap across the void.

This is common Unitarian knowledge, and a key to the tactical dogma that is required for anyone from the lowly ensign, to the highest admiral to know. Other reactors may act as a traditional generator, to fire the weapons and power the sensors, but only Antimatter can give that “jump” to sling a ship, straight into another system. Minus “Hyper” drives, there is no other way of flying across the void to other solar systems. Without the Humble Jump Drive, None of us would ever have flown across the stars. The Brugs would’ve held their feuds on only their planet.  The En-Sen-Pair would’ve long ago died out, and the Hegaros would only live among themselves, along with all the other minor races fitting only in their home system. This is why we must uphold the standard, to keep the Empire together so that the precious antimatter stocked systems may be efficiently used to spread the Imperial Dictate across, --hopefully-- every sentient species across the galaxy, and maybe even other galaxies as well, and this is why you are being taught just how a drive functions, so that your maintenance personnel will not break their faces smashing it into an airlock when you ask them to jump “faster”.

Before we begin, do we have any questions?

Colonial Vessel Luminous, Fore Hallway
2128 AD, GS 25 August 24

Margus was working at a maintenance panel, a hallway connecting to the bridge had flickering lights since they entered the warp. He never really liked how utterly eerie the place was when it Jumped because the ship’s bulkheads were making noises they really shouldn’t, and despite all he swore that he heard the noises, no one really seemed to hear it. It was like being on a boat and being the only one that hears it rock, was the metaphor Margus was thinking of. The panel he was working on was a simple, although repetitive task. Each and every single wire had to be rerouted around a defunct electrical part, and it was grueling work, especially because one short would mean having to start all over again. Just as he was finished, the loud and annoying voice of a Private caused him to slam a wire straight into where it really shouldn’t of gone, and with a great splash of sparks, the wiring was ruined.

“Margus,--”

Spooked by the light show the private backed off, stared for a couple seconds and then finished his statement. “Captain Orlando requests your presence immediately…” Margus looked up to the private, and simply stated “You gotta be kidding me? Call over another technician while I'm out, and don't scare people like that, could've killed me.” The cogs in the private's brain whirred for a couple seconds as if the statement had been a brick thrown at the screen of a computer, before nodding as if he understood what he was told and walked away. Margus cleaned up the mess that was left by the miniature explosion and stood up, to head to the bridge, all the while congratulating himself on not punching the asshat who broke his electrical panel.

Yaerian Exploratory Vessel “Stardew Vast”
2128 AD, GS 25 August 23

Captain Naera Nahtilius couldn't believe the computer. It was like a million more stars just popped into existence, how did this not kill them during the jump is one question,  and how did this anomaly even happen in the first place is another. Already, Hyperwave communication with OPCOM had begun, and they claimed it happened ten minutes ago! If he actually believed that many stars just popped into existence, and by his own Astro techs estimates tripled a number of stars in the galaxy without more penetrating scans. As more data streamed in, he began noticing something more than stars magically appearing.  The galactic stripe, where millions of stars should've been, is all off, both in estimated location and its amount. He looked and pondered, slowly coming to his own conclusion, that either a section of galaxy moved into their own stellar neighborhood, or the “stellar neighborhood” was moved… somewhere else. If this data is correct,  then something beyond anything she has ever known was at work. Nervously glancing about, Naera ordered down the standing readiness and the arduous work of analyzing everything began.

Yaerian Personal Database
YEV Stardew Vast

Naera Nahtilius

[DATA EXPUNGED]

Naeras family has been directly noted a “Military family”, as a vast majority of the members have joined either the Navy as ship captains or as enlisted fighting personal. It is to be noted that Naera’s grandfather, Terrigil Nahtilius was part of the squadron of Xenocidivision marines stationed on the Bayleems voyage, the sergeant of the squadron that presumably played a pivotal role in the defending of the ordinance that ultimately destroyed the Gravemind.

[ACCESS DENIED]

Unitarian Homeworld
Unitarian Palace
2128 AD, GS 25 August 23

The Empress sat on her throne, listening to a Brug Warlord as he spoke of vein and glory hounding things. She longed for more younger days, particularly at this moment. The way the Brug spoke of short-sighted solutions that would only cause more problems honestly wanted her to order her guards to kill him on the sp--

How long will the Empress fall unconscious? A couple days, or at most half a year?
Are there any loose ends that should be filled?
What was the division that Terrigil Nahtilius was assigned to?

Spoiler: QM's note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:32:39 pm by Blood_Librarian »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: (SG)System Override: Heating and heating and heating and heating...
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2017, 11:26:43 am »

Bump.

There was once a man named steve. He had two firearms. When the invaders came and killed his family, he manages to kill two of them before dying to a plasma bolt to his abdomen. It was not a pleasant death.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2017, 11:45:12 am »

4/10ths of the year.
No.
The "Exploration, Scouting, and mail" Division, Which was rather over worked before he was Assigned to it.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2017, 12:17:11 pm »

4/10ths of the year.
No.
The "Exploration, Scouting, and mail" Division, Which was rather over worked before he was Assigned to it.

+1

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2017, 08:32:53 pm »

Post 024: Nuclear

When the Empress of the very empire itself went limp, discharge of psionic power going off and convulsing, the palace guards, Guardians and Guardians only, moved to action immediately. The Warlord that was immediately close to the Empress had been put down almost immediately with three plasma bolts. The Empress was carried to a medical area of the palace, and the doctors did the best they could before assistance arrived.

Elsewhere, a massive, unknowingly powerful blast of energy had originated from the Great Black. The Great Black was a space hundred of light years in the area near the borders of the Unitarian Empire, where any ship that entered had simply vanished. There was a standing Unitarian blockade present at nearly all times to prevent any tomfoolery directed at the black, which was the reason why the Unitarian knew so quickly that something “transdimensional” had happened. The FTL sensors of each and every ship in every single patrol near the Great Black that caused overloads and in some cases caused the warp drives present on their ships to detonate and wipe the vessel's existence completely.

The palace Guardians of the Unitarian Empire take their honorable position seriously, to the point where many have been killed on the mere suspicion of being an assassin.  When the Empress herself falls off the Psion throne unconscious and convulsing,  they would most definitely react by killing the Brug who was bowing down to her and then rushing her to the royal hospital. The most advanced treatment available was put to her and the best doctors could only describe it as some sort of energetic overload. Elsewhere, technicians galaxy wide would report that communications were briefly scrambled for two whole minutes, and in some cases, people could look up to the sky and see a section of it glow as bright as the sun they were orbiting. Unbeknownst to anyone at all, an entire section of the galaxy had just appeared where the biggest curiosity of the millennia had been, the Great Black. Light years of space where any ship that came in simply vanished.  There was a standing Unitarian blockade present at nearly all times to prevent any tomfoolery directed at the Black.  The FTL sensors of each and every ship in every single patrol around the Great Black simultaneously received such a massive signal that every single sensor bulb burned out, and even a few broke apart as their warp drives exploded from the intensity of the feedback from the massive FTL energy waves.

It took three days for a response and exploratory fleet to be organized.

On this day, we remember the fallen. On this day, we remember those who sacrificed their lives, everything they ever lived for. They sacrificed their lives for their brothers, as well as their fellow Yaerian. However we cannot do good with just one ceremony, so we will remember the final, forbearing strike that had ultimately won the war, today.  Terrigil Nahtilius and his squadron of the Quaestix’Pruskium-Kaluchian Division. Among their missions of deploying counter-bio weapons and mass defense against the Gravemind, they among the crew of the Bayleems voyages had all died to deploy the anti-matter ordinance that destroyed the Graveminds… mind.

((I regret not explicitly stating who Nahtilius was, but it gave me some damn good ideas for further division names.))

Colonial Vessel Theia
Command and Control Center,
2128 AD, GS 25 September 18th

Orlando stared in thought at the intercom. The ship ran relatively poorly during the trip through the warp.  Far too many accidents then what should’ve happened then what should’ve been, and six men and women lost their lives because of it. All he hoped was that the trip would be worth it. He’d seen pictures of the supposed “new earth” and was surprised. A perfect world for human habitation, even down to gravity and atmospheric pressure. Even the whole “basic” xenological life existed, and from the science vessels reports, completely compatible with human life for habitation and apparently eating. At some point, he began to think that something else was at play here and there, and then decided to look into why the hell this vessel was so close to failing this entire month. He chalked it up to the theory about a too big of a vessel in the warp, the engineer who told him that sounded like he actually put research into the damn thing unlike the rest of the chief staff aboard this damn vessel, but now it’s all past that. In just thirty seconds, he will talk into that intercom, and then order the chief engineer to get the ship out of warp, right smack dab in front of Nexus, “the perfect new world.” Pulling out a Personal Data Assistant, he began to play a little game to pass the time, as he really didn’t have much to do, he already had the words that he was going to say in mind. Just as he put the PDA away, the console dinged, and he ordered the crew for the third time that a de-warp was going to occur, all hands on deck, etcetera etcetera, and turned to the Chief engineer.

“Disengage the warp drive and then let us get the drinks out.”

The Grand Unitarian Fleet Academy, Fleet knowledge 101
Standardized lecture 024

“One of the most fascinating and perilous parts of using Jump drives is the “Sphere-null” effect.  If a leap is made and a big enough ship goes too fast for its motivator to handle, the ship will be affected by the Sphere-Null. When it stops, some of the matter inside the ship either doesn't stop all the way or stops a little bit later. The most obvious sign that your ship has been affected by the Sphere-Null effect is that there are perfectly spherical holes where hull and people should’ve been, or the ship is entirely wrecked. The Sphere-null effect has been the death of many captains who pushed their drive over the limit over the time of the Empire and has almost dissuaded the use of Jumping entirely since it only particularly affected ships larger than a frigate. However, a modern, well-built motivator designed for the tonnage and speed the vessel is expected to travel will never be affected by Sphere-Null, unless any single part among the thousands in the warp drive gets damaged, either by combat, sabotage or the lack of maintenance. This is why the boots are always tasked to guard the room where the drive is stationed. This is why you cannot push the drive past it’s well tested and hardcoded limits, without inviting the ruinous powers of Sphere-Null. Now, is there any questions?

HYPERWAVE TRANSMISSION DETECTED
RETICULATING

OPERATION PARAMETERS UPDATED.

ACTIVATING JUMP DRIVES
 DESTINATION “GREAT BLACK”

Did the probe find the Yaerian Republic, or did the Yaerian Republic find the Probe?

Edited for clarification.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:56:58 am by Blood_Librarian »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2017, 02:07:55 am »

Quote from: The Update
Did the probe find the Yaerian Republic or did the Probe?
is this Unfinished or a Fill in?
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2017, 09:36:17 am »

No, you chose which one gets the surprise.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2017, 09:54:47 am »

In that case, it whould read, "Did the probe find the Yaerian Republic, or did they find the Probe?"
Or: "...find the Yaerian Republic, or did the Yaerian Republic find the Probe?"

I vote that the probe found the Republic.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2017, 09:26:52 pm »

Post 025: The Spark.

To say that the Chief Engineer was surprised when his ears went deaf from a loud “pop”, the captain's head just straight up disappearing, and the console in front of him along with one of his hands following the captain's “footsteps” would probably be the understatement of all time. Not only soiling his pants and falling unconscious from shock at the same time, many other bridge staff members exclaimed with the same level of surprise. Pandamonium and six whole hours of damage control later, it was concluded that the ship was functional enough to drop the colonial supply off, which was remarkably unharmed from the entire ordeal and send a warp capable vessel to tell earth of the situation. The Chief Engineer himself would later be officially be crowned as acting captain, although he was third in line, the second in line was gibbering madly to himself after being splashed with a necks worth of blood from the dead captain. The entire ship was in full damage control mode, every single part checked, rechecked and double checked again for any flaws or problem, and it was to be noted that the warp drive was practically smoking with how much damage it had. It took two whole days of frantic repair to the support structure of the colonial ship before the actual colonial part of the ship could be dropped off, which was to be exact, essentially a starbase. A Starbase filled to the brim with space-atmospheric vehicles, hydroponic farms, and rows upon rows of cryo-pods, which thankfully, were not as affected by the strange de-warp effect as the rest of the ship, mostly by luck it appears. It would be months before they would all be unfrozen, but they couldn’t all unfreeze or they’d starve in just a month's time, the first harvests had to be collected and the base had to be unfurled wholly before every colonial could be woken up.

Humanity would prevail just as they always had.

Fleet Lords log, First Explorator Fleet of the Unitarian Empire
2128 AD, GS 25 September 28

We lost another corvette today. A fuel line failure caused a cascading explosion in its reactor, a one in a million chance. All hands lost. The Empress damned fleet command won’t let us return back for repairs, and already a third of my fleet is running ragged for this journey. For whatever reason, I feel as if we are being watched, and it is not a pleasant feeling. I will write another fleet log, as something important has just interrupted my musings, It better not be disappointing or heads will roll.

Yaerian Exploratory Vessel “Stardew Vast”
2128 AD, GS 25 September 28

Captain, Sir.

Yes?

The scanner array just detected a warp arrival.

Are you sure?

Yes, scans indicate ti is artificial in nature, ship size is roughly the same size as our standard faster than light probe.

Where?

Right up to our hull, sir. One tenth of a light year out, it’s closing.

Power up the shields, have the Navigators ready in case we have to jump the stars out of here.

The Probes internal workings were deceptively simple from a big picture.

If it detected anything that was not normal, with its vast arrays of sensors and databases, it would put a signal to the fleet that deployed it to come over.

When it had jumped practically on top of the Stardew vast, its vast sensors detecting the heat radiating off the engines, the reactor, and other parts, along with several other signals, it knew it had discovered an alien life of some form, and its beacon was activated.

Its weapons banks didn’t have to be used either.

Who fired first? The Yaerians, or the Unitarians?

Spoiler: QMs note (click to show/hide)

Edit: Grammer
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:43:28 am by Blood_Librarian »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2017, 04:10:26 am »

The Yaerians. Naturally, the imperfect creations would be first to fire.

Spoiler: grammar note (click to show/hide)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2017, 11:12:51 pm »

Post 026:

"Your destruction is the will of the gods, and we are their instrument."
—Covenant transmission from the Prophet of Regret to the UNSC during the Battle of Harvest

Star 32-B,  Edge of Yaerian Republic Space
YEV “Stardew Vast”
October 4th, 2128 AD, 25 GS.

It had been almost a full week since the probe had arrived. It scanned and scanned, never actually sending communications towards the vessel. Sure, it had sent off what seemed to be communications, but it was alien, entirely unlike anything the Yaerians had seen, and the Xenologists onboard the ship was simply fascinated by the ship itself. Although it was obvious that the ship was inefficient, almost primitively stunted due to its mass fabricated nature,  It showed qualities that were decades or centuries ahead of Yaerian technology, while being simultaneously more basic than the simplest of Yaerian Engineered projects. It never responded to attempts of commune, it only repeated the same message every forty-seven minutes, on the dot.

By the time the Explorator fleet had arrived, the first manned mission to the probe had begun, a shuttle drifting through the realm of the stars to interact with the tiny probe. The mission was very promptly canceled, as no less than forty-seven vessels had entered the system, at the rate they were speeding towards the vessel, they would arrive in just a four days worth of time.

They responded to no signals, electromagnetic or Hyperwave, they were jetting towards them with the silence of a predator, their steel jaws encapsulating and covering the prey and like a fool, the Yaerians had let it happen.

This was the first victory of the Unitarian Empire.

Star 32-B, Edge of yaerian Republic Space
Unitarian Fleet Bastion “Commanding Presence” of the First Explorator Fleet
October 4th, 2128, 25 GS

“Linguistics Team, give me a status report.”

“Yes, Fleet Lord. The Ship Automaton has already cracked how their commune protocols function from the data report by the Probe, and in ten minutes we shall be able to project an approximate linguistic message.”

“That fast? Incredible work, this shall an easy campaign.”

The bridge of the Commanding Presence bustled with activity, technicians and Curators all worked on cataloging the exact readings and outputs of the sensor feeds pointed at the lone ship. It was large, it was obviously sophisticated by its delicate looking sensor fins, high energy output reactor and the utterly strange Warp readings it was giving off. The Fleet Lord guessed their subjugation would be harder than the other races, perhaps not as hard as the Brugs, but still hard. He idly noted the few Irrega’Gald  working in the posts they had been placed. For a species so recently joining the Unitarian Empire, they had the spirit and sentience to work greatly in the complex, civilized notions of the War in Space, Even if they were utterly hideous. He wondered what this species would look like, Perhaps they would be pleasing to the eye unlike any other species found, that would be his Empress given day.

Star 32-B,  Edge of Yaerian Republic Space
YEV “Stardew Vast”
October 8th, 2128 AD, 25 GS.

“They are now in weapons range…”

Captain Uriss Nahtilius was frankly at his wits end. They didn’t attempt to speak a lick of “first contact” communications, just to their stars-damned probe. Although he had to call backup to Fleet Command, they *denied* it on the basis of friendly negotiations. Friendly negotiations don’t happen when a fleet of forty-eight ships sped to them like meteors slamming at the moon, and he did not like the looks of their ships. Fabricated,  without the elegance of a true ship, and absolutely bristling with incredible energy signatures, far bigger than what would be needed for Magnetic or guided weapons, it was almost confusing, and theories had been abounding the entire ship when the sensor output was leaked to the ship as a whole. [He put his money on Yuur’Tilla, damn woman had no sense.]

He briefly wondered if firing a warning shot would cause them to communicate, when they had done just that, communicate.

A data signal, in Yaerian Sub-light Communication Protocols for Audio and video, had come to them.

“Isolate A terminal and broadcast the message to one of my screens, Frame.”

“As you wish, Captain.”

“Attention… “Yaerian”.

You have been discovered and founded. You are no longer alone in the stars, for by the Empresses guidance we have come and found you as brothers and sisters. We offer you time to prepare for arrival on your starboard docking port, and once you are ready we will send a ship to board yours, to allow for better diplomatic negotiations.

“By the stars above, their ships are huge, I thought that damn sensor technician was lying. Do you think they will be as peaceful as they claim?
 -- Quaestix’Pruskium-Kaluchian Marine aboard the Stardew Vast

“Lord, They are maneuvering to expose their starboard flank, sending boarding vessel now.

--Sensor Technician of the Commanding Presence

It was odd, damned aliens had thought of everything with the ship they sent. It was confusing that they requested a docking even though in all likelihood our docking cords would be completely different, yet it still worked anyways, he had no stars-damned clue how that worked. The amount of technology that came into that must've been astounding, he’d have bet his hat for that.

Here he stood, in the entrance room holding a rifle, and he’s gonna meet the first set of aliens that the Yaerians will have peace with. Probably.  He remembered the theories of all sentient life being hostile to the Yaerian way of life and shivered, just slightly. If that was true, what were they planning? He clutched his rifle, looking at it t noting all its features to calm him down.

It was a mark three Magna-Rifle, It’s magnetic accelerator would send down bolts of plasma at its designated target with the speed of a rock thrown at its fullest, and it was nothing to play around with. The containment cells for the gas, the heat sinks, and every other little part was particularly notable for having been replaced with high-grade spec-ops variants. It was a damn fine gun.

He hoped it would be enough if he needed it.

Three, loud knocks, and the Unitarian ship was docked. Already it’s internal systems adapting itself to the unknowns of alien architecture, and  Guardian Aether teams had begun their work in breaking into the internet-works of the Alien ship.

Did the Aether teams succeed?

Spoiler: QM's Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:17:57 pm by Blood_Librarian »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10