Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Tale of Icerocks, my first "fort"  (Read 693 times)

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
The Tale of Icerocks, my first "fort"
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:47:20 pm »

I'd been lurking the DF wiki for a few days when I finally decided that Dwarf Fortress looked really cool and I wanted to download it. I read the guide, researched the creatures  and learned about the controls. I thought that I was finally ready to start a fortress and get to killing forgotten beasts.

I was, as you can imagine, wrong.

When I generated my world and scoped out a place to build my first fortress, I neglected to really read anything and just went with what looked cool. I finally embarked in a cold biome with little soil and no flux stone.

I had no idea what I was looking at.

I mean, I knew that the little smilies were my dwarves, and the white punctuation marks scattered everywhere was the ground. I fooled around a bit in the menu, creating burrows, disabling labors, and designating stockpiles until I finally figured out how to order my dwarves to do stuff. Not wanting to waste any more time, I designated for a space to be carved into the rock and a few trees to be felled.

Skip forward to mod-autumn. My food stores are running out, and I have no idea how to farm, by the time I figure it out, my dwarves have eaten all my plump helmet spawn. I resort to gathering plants, and create a meager above ground farm.

Of course, that isn't my main problem.

I had run out of booze a while ago, but I didn't notice, mainly because my dwarves drank from a nearby pond. However, with winter on the horizon, I watched in horror as drink cancellation messages popped up stating that my dwarves couldn't find water. The pond had frozen, and my dwarves were doomed.

To this day, even as a moderately experienced DF player who has slain both forgotten beast and GCS, I stay away from cold places.

DF can be cruel to new players.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Icerocks, my first "fort"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:36:06 am »

Yes, this is normal.

When I first played, it took me nearly a year to figure out how to dig.
The fort in question didn't last much longer, due to a were-monitor attack.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"