Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Tale of Quabu: Cow Necromancer  (Read 2150 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Quabu: Cow Necromancer
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 10:53:16 am »

So I've been seeing similar cases like this for a while now in adventure mode. I only found out that is isn't normal when I told a friend about it.

In adventure mode, it is a somewhat common occurrence for me to stumble upon an "X recruit". X is replaced by a seemingly random animal, such as yaks, wolves, lions, giant grizzly bears, and in your case, cows. These guys tend to wander around the world aimlessly, and I often see them walking around on the travel map. I thought it was just me.

Apparently not.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 12:35:04 pm »

So I've been seeing similar cases like this for a while now in adventure mode. I only found out that is isn't normal when I told a friend about it.

In adventure mode, it is a somewhat common occurrence for me to stumble upon an "X recruit". X is replaced by a seemingly random animal, such as yaks, wolves, lions, giant grizzly bears, and in your case, cows. These guys tend to wander around the world aimlessly, and I often see them walking around on the travel map. I thought it was just me.

Apparently not.

Possibly related to the bug: Human military recruit is an alligator.  (I know I saw it on the bug tracker, not going to go find it at present).

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 01:22:46 pm »

I've had draft animals in the starting embark have names and work before. They build, harvest plants, move stuff to stockpiles, etc... and become ghosts when you butcher them and eat their remains. It's kinda of nice to have the extra two haulers early on, though I'm not sure if they still graze or not. Fort was eaten by a were-bison too soon.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 02:02:49 pm »

I've had draft animals in the starting embark have names and work before. They build, harvest plants, move stuff to stockpiles, etc... and become ghosts when you butcher them and eat their remains. It's kinda of nice to have the extra two haulers early on, though I'm not sure if they still graze or not. Fort was eaten by a were-bison too soon.

Time for dwarven science. Next time I find one of these guys, I'm uploading the save onto Google Drive and we can experiment.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 02:51:51 pm »

It could be that they're being generated as pets on occasion, rather than strays. And since pets aren't usually around at embark, when generated they bug and act as resident visitors or some such. It's not exactly common. If it hadn't happened about two weeks ago, I'd probably not believe it could have happened.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 03:02:15 pm »

Maybe the game can confuse random generated pets in generated fortresses as citizens, or they somehow get confused and get recruited into military
To the beer!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 02:04:08 am »

Just speculation, but maybe it has to do with having a name.  I've personally run into crocodile recruits.  My guess is that an animal that has a name (either by making notable kills, or by being a pet) is in a site when something happens.  Possibly they got enslaved?  This would allow them to live normal lives in the new civ.  It would explain the turkey lord as well.  I have a save from the crocodile recruit  world (actually in fort mode at the moment).  I will have a look at it.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: I now have a Great Mistrust of Cows...
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 03:12:12 am »

nope, no kills... just a cow that decided to worship satan....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is... quite a find there. I too have seen those alligator recruits roaming around, and some military yetis as well but an evil cow bard... that's new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zDZ35e2bEc
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 08:22:58 am »

BTW, i haven't started a fort in this world yet, this is just straight from legends
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 04:49:08 pm »

Someone needs to make a rendering of this mace-wielding, Satan-worshipping, necromantic cow. 

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 05:01:36 pm »

Someone needs to make a rendering of this mace-wielding, Satan-worshipping, necromantic cow.

Produced by Michael Bay.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 05:32:44 pm »

.... so Sauron?

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 02:16:08 pm »

.... so Sauron?

What part of sauron is bovine? Is it in the silmarillion or something?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 02:50:54 pm »

.... so Sauron?

What part of sauron is bovine? Is it in the silmarillion or something?

Well, Sauron has all the above attributes... plus he could shapeshift remember? So yeah, if he wanted to he could be a cow... who am I to judge his fantasies

Pages: 1 [2]