Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miasma-free Rotting!  (Read 575 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miasma-free Rotting!
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:35:42 am »

I just came up with a way to have an underground-yet-Miasma-free stockpile/skins-that-haven't-gotten-tanned-and-are-rotten/etc

The stockpiles (or, in my case, over-eager Butcher, lazy/slow Tanner leading to lots of skin rotting in the Butcher) should be 1z below surface. Channel out the area directly above the stockpile/workshop/etc. replace the ground with whatever material you want (windows or glass for aesthetics that don't do anything).

As long as they've been exposed to sunlight once IIRC, no Miasma will be produced.

Voila. a siege-safe method of taking care of Miasma-producing items.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miasma-free Rotting!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 01:36:28 pm »

I like the checkerboard garbage dump approach because it can be done at any depth. Miasma doesn't spread through diagonal gaps, it only spreads in the four cardinal directions. Therefore, a checkerboard garbage dump will keep any miasma in the tile it started in. Dwarves hauling garbage may still walk through a miasma square or two on their way to drop off trash, but that's only a very minor hit to happiness. I make a macro since it's a pain to designate a checkerboard dig pattern.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Miasma-free Rotting!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:08:43 pm »

My setup:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Similar to checkerboard dumping zone, but just with checkerboarded gateways. I can keep the kitchens and the fishworks, the tanner and the butcher seperated, there are nice little dumping grounds which don't fill up as quickly as checkerboard dumping grounds, and it keeps the purple contained. And unlike the "just below the surface" method, it can be done under five layers of aquifer. The bones get dragged out to another area for furniture decoration and so forth.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!