Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: There should be mechanisms for different things during myth generation  (Read 556 times)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

During the times Tarn demo'd the myth generator, he mentioned dwarves receiving the curse of death after "breaking the mechanism that governs fate in the universe."

Like it says in the title, i think there should be mechanisms for other things too. Like a mechanism that governs the immortality of one species, and which can be broken or damaged by another, thereby inspiring the former into a state of perpetual hatred against the latter.
Or a mechanism that governs the morality and ethics of a species.
Or one that governs the planet's tectonic and volcanic activity.
Or that controls the tides, or precipitation, arability of land.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Basically these "mechanisms" made by the gods could govern a lot of aspects of the generated world, beyond just fate.
And not every world would need to have one of each mechanism. For instance, if a myth is generated where the gods never created a mechanism to govern the elves' agelessness, the elves could just default to whatever their creature file says.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He mentioned that the ability to change fundamental laws of the universe was part of the plans in the recent interview, so yeah other types of mechanisms could be on the way.

What else could change things besides mechanisms? Killing Gods presumably is one. Arguing values with a God and winning, thus fundamentally dooming the universe would be very DF.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

World rejection reason:
  • Debated with God over tenets of mortality
  • Won
  • ???
  • Profit World ceases to exist
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be very complicated to tie the all the facts of the world into the myth generator.  The dev time required is going to be high enough without having to make ever more possible types of mechanisms and possible effects ad infinitum.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

World rejection reason:
  • Debated with God over tenets of mortality
  • Won
  • ???
  • Profit World ceases to exist

Quote from: Douglas Adams
“Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. Q.E.D."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.”

....Babel Fish seem almost likely, but I'm guessing they'd suck dwarves brains out through their ears....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!