Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can a creature fly with one wing?  (Read 945 times)

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can a creature fly with one wing?
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:16:46 am »

If you are shooting down a flying creature and damage a wing, will it crash to the ground, or can it "limp" in the air and retain flight?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Can a creature fly with one wing?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:42:19 am »

A creature only needs one wing to fly.  Losing a single wing does not inhibit their flying ability at all.

Silly, I know.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:05:05 am »

Having the wing take a hit does cause them to crash, though.  It's the only way I dealt with a keaman infestation.

No other hits will cause them to drop out of the sky, though (except a lethal one to the head).  You can shoot them through the heart and they'll fly off and pull out the bolt!

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:31:41 am »

A creature only needs one wing to fly.  Losing a single wing does not inhibit their flying ability at all.

Silly, I know.

Having the wing take a hit does cause them to crash, though.  It's the only way I dealt with a keaman infestation.

So it sounds like hitting a wing will cause them to crash, but they will be able to get back up and fly again without a problem (assuming the crash doesn't damage their 'good' wing.  Does this sound right?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:21:55 pm »

Silly, I know.

So it sounds like hitting a wing will cause them to crash, but they will be able to get back up and fly again without a problem (assuming the crash doesn't damage their 'good' wing.  Does this sound right?

They didn't get up to fly immediately, so I simply don't know how flight-worthy they are.  (Even if I didn't have an axedwarf squad handy to dispatch the grounded ones, my marksdwarves weren't about to stop shooting at them).

One Keawoman did get dropped outside my walls (and over a dozen z-levels below), and took some time to get to.  She regained consciousness and started moving around a little bit, but never started flying again.  I can't remember if her other wing got damaged in the fall.

OluapPlayer

• Bay Watcher
  • In a time before time, I attacked me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 01:53:41 pm »

I've just tested this on the testing arena. Hacked a kea man's right wing off and it couldn't fly anymore when I controlled him.

Creatures do need both wings to fly.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 01:05:25 pm »

I've just tested this on the testing arena. Hacked a kea man's right wing off and it couldn't fly anymore when I controlled him.

I believe this to be correct. I think what some people mistake a bruised wing as unusable. Actually, if you broke their wing could they still fly? I wish do science on this... Once I have a PC again.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 02:36:16 pm »

Excellent to know.

Yes, now we must test if one broken wing still allows flight.