Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Companions trying to murder each other?  (Read 2023 times)

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
Companions trying to murder each other?
« on: July 08, 2017, 07:49:16 pm »

While I was trying to travel across a river, one of my companions suddenly jumped into the water to try and kill a turtle. I tried to get him out by wrestling him (which was probably a horrible, horrible idea), and now my two other companions won't stop trying to murder him. How do I stop this?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Companions trying to murder each other?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 11:30:43 pm »

You have a small scale loyalty cascade now. If they haven't and don't escalated to lethal then it can blow over, depending on their personalities, or it can also flare up again if they get into an argument or get drunk around each other. There are a lot of things you can try, but none are guaranteed.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 06:41:12 am »

Fast travel real quick. If you just wrestled him, no punch nor chokehold, it should be over. Did your other companions landed punch or just wrestled?

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 12:16:13 pm »

In OP's case the reason why they attacked is more or less obvious. Attacking your own companion made him an enemy of yours and other companions. But I had a different kind of companion killing going on. When I used my companions as slaves builders, I kept one following me as protection from bogeyman. And that's where the problem starts. Eventually builders began to demand my protection-companion to yield. And then they ganged up on her and murdered her. I guess they were just jealous that she was slacking while they were working hard. And recently I saw the same behavior in one youtube gameplay video. Not sure if this bug was reported, but I'm too lazy to do it myself :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:10:00 pm by Nolimit »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 06:10:03 pm »

You hired bandits/nomads. They consider you as their leader so they dont try to rob you. They consider themselves in the same group so there is peace. But when you take one of them as companion, he becomes someone unrelated to their group and so they try to rob him. As he is unlikely to actually yield and drop his money the fight will likely escalate to lethal
(Also yes I watch Kruggsmash too and Im very sad about that poor badger)

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 01:52:35 am »

You hired bandits/nomads. They consider you as their leader so they dont try to rob you. They consider themselves in the same group so there is peace. But when you take one of them as companion, he becomes someone unrelated to their group and so they try to rob him. As he is unlikely to actually yield and drop his money the fight will likely escalate to lethal
(Also yes I watch Kruggsmash too and Im very sad about that poor badger)
Kruggsmash basically hired wild animals, so i guess your explanation works in that case. In my case all of my companions are from local civs (2 dwarfs from a hillrock, 1 human from a hamlet where i'm a heartperson, the rest of them are civilian dwarfs humans from my starting hamlet), and they shouldn't be enemies to each other (all humans are from the same civ, and from legends mode they are in peace with dwarfs). Still possible that game somehow makes them enemies if they are from different civs. But I'm pretty sure that it still would happen with companions only from the same town, needs testing, though.

Off-topic: Found Kruggsmash channel not so long ago, watched the whole series about his latest fort, and now watching The Hero of Balance series. And really enjoying it so far. Video we're talking about, where companion killed by builders - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NJ6-H57dd0&list=PLXX7Rp0iXj0klmNiJH79gzGAsdI0BHvm8&index=3&start=1565

edit: "misspelled" humans as dwarfs
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:36:18 am by Nolimit »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 12:46:11 pm »

I did that thing for him ; good times o/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, check your legends if the civs you hired them from are not at war with each others
Oh, well then I dont know. It's very strange and should not happen...Maybe you hired bandits by inadvertance? Could you provide infos on the people you hired and who attacked who?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:50:45 pm by Cathar »

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 04:58:11 pm »

I had 15 follower at that point, and i still have a save where they were with me. Just tested it, after about 6 tries only one time got to the point of them actually attacking following companion. But I have a theory how to reproduce it. It begins with the fact that if you start a conversation with somebody who's in combat (chasing wildlife for example), you'll have same options as with hostile creatures:
And for some reason when your following companion talks to your builders, while any of them are in combat, they seem to have same options according to what they say:
And i think they use a random option
But the only option that may cause fighting is demanding yield. They consider such demand as a form of bullying, and everybody become aggressive. (In couple of tries they demanded to yield without further escalation though)
In this case Ona started the conflict, but first attack came from Gib
Icop yielded and Ona asked him to drop his shield and weapon while everybody else were spitting at Icop (most of them are from the same hamlet as her, I recruited them as temporary builders of my adventurer's fort)
"There's nothing admirable about bullying others" I found this moment hilarious. Poor Icop.

In other cases there were times when some asked to cease hostility, to yield, or bragged about defeating many fearsome opponents, but it never escalated further. In my opinion this issue has nothing to do with civ/group logic, I think it's caused by hostility while in combat and weird dialogs because of that. Previously i experienced the same behavior with two other companions from this group.

While writing this I tried it again, but this time kept half of them with me and another half building. After some time and some fighting with ostriches it turned into bloodbath! Three dead bodies and few wounded. And this never happens if everybody assigned to build or to follow me at the same time.
I hope i didn't make a lot of mistakes, it's to late right now for proper English.

P.S. Oh, and nice art, saw it in the video before and thought that it’s really good!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 06:26:00 am »

OH
In this case, this is very different from hat happened to this poor badger. They just don't like each other at all, so they speak, argue and fight at low level of lethality (before coming at each other, they strap their weapons). This is the equivalent of a bar brawl between two guys who don't like each others personally I think.

I had this situation where a gorlak companion got into an argument with a wandering elf, unrelated to me in anyway (the gorlak was in my team). As they seemed to keep the hostilities low I elected not to intervene - eventually my poor gorlak was bullied, yield, and the case was close. I think it's fair since he started it anyway.

Maybe they just dont like each other, but the fact they are in the same team prevent them from arguing?

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 09:56:20 am »

I believe that what happened to that badger isn't caused by a regular brawl. While brawls can happen, they only happen after an argument. And companions will have arguments independently of their working assignment. Try this: designate some walls to be build on adventurer's site, set half of your companions to work and leave another half with you. Than run around your site for some time, aggroing wildlife. Wait till everybody gather up and let them talk. They almost guaranteed will start fighting, without having a single argument. And they seem always attack those who are not assigned to building your base. Then try the same without anybody assigned to work on your base, or with everybody except you assigned to work. And nothing happens. So I believe that poor badger was killed in the same manner, only because he wasn't working with others. I tried it with different sets of companions, and it doesn't matter. If you separate companions into working and following subgroups they may fight (size of the group also increases chances of them talking and therefore fighting, making it almost inevitable). Just another bug, but pretty interesting one i terms of moving the story.