Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I make visitors leave before next full moon?  (Read 1260 times)

IronicPomegranate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How can I make visitors leave before next full moon?
« on: March 17, 2017, 01:24:22 am »

I had a wereass attack my fort, and two of the visitors  were injured and are possibly infected. I tried making all my visitors leave by restricting my tavern and temple to citizens and long term residents only, but now they're just sitting by the wagon instead of leaving the site. Is there a way to get them out before the next full moon?

Side question: What would be the consequences of killing the potential infected?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I make visitors leave before next full moon?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 02:12:18 am »

No, not in vanilla.

This DFHack script might work though
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've had some success in getting overstayers to leave using it.

If any of your dorfs are friends with the visitors killing the visitors can cause a loyalty cascade if the friends witness it. Apart from that, there aren't much repercussions for killing visitors.

IronicPomegranate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 02:38:44 pm »

I found out that none of my citizens even knew those two visitors, so I decided to take the morally ambiguous route and kill both of them.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:45:01 pm »

morally ambiguous

They were going to turn into nightmare creatures of bloodlust on the full moon, you made a morally correct choice.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:25:07 pm »

If they are indeed weres, it would not be a morally positive decision to release them into the world. The were curse is transmitted by bites that draw blood, although I don't think it's finally determined if transmission rate is 100% or lower.
Study of the combat log should allow you to see if the were indeed potentially infected.
Given the almost non existent level of control over visitors, it would be rather tricky to detain them in a safe manner over the next full moon to determine if they were cursed or not (DFHack teleporting could obviously move them into cells), and thus whether they would need to be put down or not.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 06:54:33 pm »

....The were curse is transmitted by bites that draw blood, although I don't think it's finally determined if transmission rate is 100% or lower.....

I've never had a bitten dwarf not become a Were (although some have died for various reasons before the next full moon). Has anyone else had a bitten dwarf remain Unturned?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

IronicPomegranate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 03:20:29 am »

I had no werebeasts on the next full moon, so it seems I dealt with this curse quite nicely! (compared to the last werebeast I encountered, which made me abandon my fort due to a werecivet outbreak leaving my fort with two citizens.)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 10:17:15 am »

If instead of biting and releasing they rip away the bitten limb/part, the dwarf will not turn.

That said, you can also seal away an infected dwarf for all time, since they require no food, sleep, or booze. Fort never loses.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 01:28:25 pm »

....The were curse is transmitted by bites that draw blood, although I don't think it's finally determined if transmission rate is 100% or lower.....

I've never had a bitten dwarf not become a Were (although some have died for various reasons before the next full moon). Has anyone else had a bitten dwarf remain Unturned?

I have, but IIRC the bite only bruised the muscle, and didn't tear the skin. Then again, I could have just got lucky, and the one in question starved to death in quarantine before turning.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 09:20:38 pm »

If instead of biting and releasing they rip away the bitten limb/part, the dwarf will not turn.

That said, you can also seal away an infected dwarf for all time, since they require no food, sleep, or booze. Fort never loses.

Has that changed in 0.43?  In older versions, all the were-dwarves would turn at the same instant (or near enough that they were all synchronized), so your fortress would fall because there were no untransformed dwarves left.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 11:30:56 am »

Has that changed in 0.43?  In older versions, all the were-dwarves would turn at the same instant (or near enough that they were all synchronized), so your fortress would fall because there were no untransformed dwarves left.

Forts don't fall if everyone is infected at once. Kept a fort going for a few years using this.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 09:18:47 am »

There is a way to get them to leave well enough that they'll leave you alone on the next full moon.

1. Assign hammerdwarf squad to (k)kill the unwanted company.
2. Dump bodies in a deep, deep hole
3. Suffer no guilt ye who defends your hold from threat.

Success! 

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 12:22:41 pm »

There is a way to get them to leave well enough that they'll leave you alone on the next full moon.

1. Assign hammerdwarf squad to (k)kill the unwanted company.
2. Dump bodies in a deep, deep hole
3. Suffer no guilt ye who defends your hold from threat.

Success!

Seriously though, killing your problems is almost always the best solution in DF.

Points if you give them silly weapons, like candy hammers or the like. Be like beating them to death with balloon animals.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 05:13:03 am »

Walling them into their own private suites is also a legitimate use of your time.

Extra points for getting them to wall themselves in. But no points for getting them to wall themselves in by accident. I've lost a few dwarves that way over the years...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 07:00:27 am »

Getting visitors to wall themselves in should be worth a lot of points, provided you only use vanilla means ;)