Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about workshops  (Read 864 times)

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about workshops
« on: March 20, 2017, 10:33:02 am »

I want to be able to assign general, non-workshop specific orders but have certain labor restricted at a specific workshop.
Is there a way to tell your workshops what they are restricted from performing without assigning workshop specific orders?

For example:
Two kitchens. One the exclusively cooks meals and one that exclusively renders fat.

Another:
Three farmer's workshops. One that exclusively milks animals. One that exclusively makes cheese. One that exclusively processes plants.

Thank you in advance!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Question about workshops
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:37:36 am »

I don't think so, no. Maybe with DFhack but idk.

If you want, assign certain dwarves w/ certain labors to certain workshops, so only those dwarves can use that workshop to its purpose, then either repeat the job or use the manager to queue infinite job.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 04:27:53 pm »

That's what I was afraid of. I'll probably have to use that work-around.
Thanks for the help!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:15:31 pm »

What's wrong with workshop-specific orders?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:47:33 pm »

What's wrong with workshop-specific orders?
One example I used affects me the most. Once I butcher an animal, a job is automatically created to render fat. And instead of using the closest kitchen (the one next to the butcher's shop and next to the Tallow stockpile), they will use a different one far away from both the butcher's shop and the Tallow stockpile but next to all my cooking supplies. It's not very efficient. Another example: Once I process pig tail plants and turn them into pig tail thread, a job is automatically created at what seems like a random loom to weave it into cloth. I would like to save some thread for my hospital, but unless I temporarily remove my loom workshop, I won't be able to save any.

Perhaps that should be my followup question: is there a way to turn off automatically created jobs like "render fat" and "weave thread into cloth"?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:49:43 pm by lestmurphy »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 10:10:23 pm »

Perhaps that should be my followup question: is there a way to turn off automatically created jobs like "render fat" and "weave thread into cloth"?

Thanks,

Yep.  'o'rders, 'W'orkshops, and then 'k'itchen and  'l'oom respectively.

With the ktichens you could do it with linked stockpiles as well, although you might suffer from some cancelation spam for time to time.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:13:16 pm by feelotraveller »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 05:09:45 am »

My method is to have a non-manager-used kitchen workshop in the butchery area. It can still take tasks such as rendering fat, but it is incapable of taking the constant manager-assigned cookjobs. This tends to prevent the rendered fat problem.

I usually have two workshops of any one type, one capable of taking manager orders, the other not capable of it, for custom jobs when I want something specific.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 07:36:13 am »

Thanks,

Yep.  'o'rders, 'W'orkshops, and then 'k'itchen and  'l'oom respectively.

With the ktichens you could do it with linked stockpiles as well, although you might suffer from some cancelation spam for time to time.
How have I not known this?!
Thank you so much! :)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 11:01:02 am »

I want to be able to assign general, non-workshop specific orders but have certain labor restricted at a specific workshop.
Is there a way to tell your workshops what they are restricted from performing without assigning workshop specific orders?

For example:
Two kitchens. One the exclusively cooks meals and one that exclusively renders fat.

Another:
Three farmer's workshops. One that exclusively milks animals. One that exclusively makes cheese. One that exclusively processes plants.

Thank you in advance!

Just look into the new version. You can restrict labors performed in the workshop. Rendering and cooking is both cooking, so this won't work for it imo, but cheesemaking, plant processing etc. are different skills / labors thus can be limited to specific workshops. Especially useful for farmer and craft workshops.

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 05:37:42 pm »

I've always linked stockpiles to workshops to limit what can be made, but that probably won't work for labors like milking. For fat rendering, I just put a kitchen right next to the butcher and tanner and never give it a job. The dwarves end up using the closest kitchen every time.
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.