Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Legends of Mata Nui: Classic Bionicle RP Interest Check/OOC  (Read 746 times)

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile

"Long ago, the Great Beings created us, we-the-Matoran, and set the Great Spirit Mata Nui to watch over us.  We were separate and without purpose, so the Great Spirit blessed us with the three virtues: Unity.  Duty.  And Destiny.  We-the-Matoran prospered, and gave thanks to Mata Nui for his kindness.

"But Mata Nui's brother, The Makuta, grew jealous of our love for his sibling.  One day he struck his brother down, into a deep sleep.  As the Great Spirit slumbered, The Makuta spread his darkness over the our island of Mata Nui, named to honor the Great Spirit.  His fell clouds withered our crops and our spirits.  But we did not give in.  He sent his Rahi beasts to tear at our villages.  But we did not give in.  He sent his kraata to poison our masks and our hearts!  But we did not give in.

"For we knew that hope was not lost.  Legend tells us that six great heroes, the mighty Toa, will come to our island of Mata Nui, and we-the-Matoran know that all legends are based in fact.  Gali, Toa of Water.  Lewa, Toa of Air.  Kopaka, Toa of Ice.  Tahu, Toa of Fire.  Pohatu, Toa of Stone.  And Onua, Toa of Earth.  These heroes, with the power of the elements themselves, would awaken Mata Nui and defeat The Makuta once and for all!

"We can't afford to wait for them any longer.  The Makuta's minions destroy more with each passing day.  Each crop failure puts us a little closer to the long, slow death.  Matoran have started disappearing; not often, thank the Great Spirit.

"The Turaga have led us well in these hard times, but I can tell they're starting to worry.  A year ago, they sent my best friend Takua to seek the Toa.  He hasn't returned.  This isn't anything so official, but we can't afford to sit around and wait for our destinies any longer.  I'm asking you to go out there and find the Toa, if you can, or something, anything else that could give us an edge.  I'd go myself, but Ta-Koro can't afford to lose its Captain of the Guard and its Chronicler in the same year.  I can't see the future in the stars like Turaga Nuju, but I know that we can't continue on like this.  I believe that you are Mata Nui's last hope."

-Jaller, Captain of the Ta-Koro Guard

This will be an RP based on the classic Legend of Bionicle.  Players will start out as matoran villagers of whatever type they want on the Island of Mata Nui, though in Bionicle form and species aren't always set in stone.  The only major change I'll be making from Bionicle canon is that the matoran types are not gender-locked, because there really isn't much reason for them to be.  Anyways, I'm looking for players, and sign ups are open!  The player limit is moderately high, but characters will only be accepted if they fit the setting and scenario.  This is a game about people rising from common beginnings to find their destiny and change the world for the better.  Angsting over your tragic backstory or brooding or whatever will get you exactly zero sympathy, because everybody has a tragic backstory.  Most of it's the same tragic backstory, even.  Life sucks for the matoran right now.  Nobody will be impressed.  At least try to rise above your fears and doubts, or why the heck did you accept Jaller's offer?

The World:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The System:

Character Sheets
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: The Legends of Mata Nui: Classic Bionicle RP Interest Check/OOC
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 06:40:06 pm »

Ooooooooh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gary_S_Modd

• Bay Watcher
  • chaos...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:02:12 pm »

Name: Ura
Matoran Type:  Onu-matoran.
Mask:
Stats: 12/12
 Strength: 1
 Agility: 2
 Willpower: 2
 Toughness: 2
 Intelligence: 4
 Presence: 2
Profession:  Chronicler
~Gary S. Modd

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 10:56:24 pm »

Question: Are our masks ever liable to have their associated powers?

*keeps wiki-bingeing Kanohi*

Additional question: What about different types of Matoran?

@Gary:You may want to actually pick a mask from any given wiki.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:41:53 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 11:43:49 pm »

Your masks are liable to eventually gain the powers they have.  However, your characters have no way to know what those dormant powers are, and the design of a mask rarely has much to do with what it does.

There are other types of matoran on other islands, but only six types live on the island of Mata Nui.  And practically speaking, it is not well defined what being one of those types would do for a character in the lore.
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 11:48:06 pm »

Umm...We have a canon example of a seventh type on Mata Nui.

*cough*
[SPOILERS (for those who haven't necessarily paid attention to this arc):Takua/Takanuva]
*cough*

Also, they might not but I do so I'm asking what your policy is on, well, potentially mechanics-affecting masks.  (Huh, that would actually be pretty neat...)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:52:03 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 11:52:18 pm »

Matoran masks do not affect one's stats or abilities in any way beyond what happens to you if you lose yours.

Also, Takua is very, very dead.  Whether you are or are not also potentially the chosen one is irrelevant at the moment, because any effects of being an Av-matoran wouldn't manifest unless you came into contact with the Mask of Light, and the location of that is not currently known.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 11:55:46 pm »

Ah.  That's not good at all.

Yes, the Matoran masks don't, but don't they become Great masks if you do become a Toa?

*points at e.g. Kanohi Calix or this one*
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:59:13 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Gary_S_Modd

• Bay Watcher
  • chaos...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 12:27:56 am »

@Gary:You may want to actually pick a mask from any given wiki.
Do I have to @DragonRage? I did make sure to base that mask on the ones that already exist btw... just put my own spin on it (asked over discord. It's fine)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:56:16 pm by Gary_S_Modd »
~Gary S. Modd